Sponsored

CB Antenna Mount Needed!

Rubidouxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
I ordered the @CoolTech JL Wrangler CB kit. What wire on the JL is everyone using for power for it? I have the auxiliary switches on the Rubicon, just not sure which way to go for power for the CB box. Whether to wire using one of the 4 switches, or somewhere else, hot all the time or power only with the ignition on? Your suggestions appreciated!

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I ordered the @CoolTech JL Wrangler CB kit. What wire on the JL is everyone using for power for it? I have the auxiliary switches on the Rubicon, just not sure which way to go for power for the CB box. Whether to wire using one of the 4 switches, or somewhere else, hot all the time or power only with the ignition on? Your suggestions appreciated!
If my Cool tech kit ever comes in, I'll let you know for sure. (Not their fault, Cobras on back order). I believe it only has 2 wires, a ground and "hot". So that being said I will probably hook it to the always hot wire in the aux bundle. I don't think the radio has a lot of presets, but think it needs hot to save them? Actually I will only have it connected occasionally, I assume the "box" draws nothing, so maybe it will go to a switched wire. Hmmm.. decisions decisions. I know for sure it won't go to a switch, as it has its own. I am saving the switches for: winch (cutoff), lightsx2, and compressor.

Visiting Cobra to verify the wiring, I see they say back-ordered to July 13th now. I am hoping Cooltech gets them before then...I waiting forever for the Jeep, I guess this should be easy... :)

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I got tired of waiting for the Cobra so went Uniden 760. Few extra bucks but a few more features.
Maybe a good idea. "Roller" squelch vs "Stepped" is the only reason for me, and it is mainly for trail communication. Maybe I need to email @CoolTech and see if that is an option for me. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rubidouxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
I just wanted to give a shoutout to Kendall @CoolTech for bringing to the market such an outstanding product for the JL. I just finished up the install today of his JL CB All-in-1 Cobra Kit. The whole setup just leaves me in awe of it's perfection. I'm sure that if I were designing a kit myself that I couldn't have done it nearly this well, it's that good folks! I mounted the box behind the glove box area. I grounded it to a grounding lug behind the right floorboard kick panel. Power cord went to the blunt cut wire attached to auxiliary switch #4. The stainless bracket and hardware for the tailgate hinge looks superb with the coax run through the factory tailgate grommet. I asked questions on here and watched Youtube videos on interior trim removal and was able to totally hide the coax all the way to the dash. I'm using the 3' antenna on the top hinge and it clears my 7' garage door by about an inch with stock Rubicon tires and suspension. Again, I'm more than happy with this all inclusive kit. It sure takes all the work out of piecing together your own setup. Looking forward to using it next spring at Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. Thanks @CoolTech!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Got my Cooltech mount kit on order, I too am a little worried about garage clearing. I have a 2' I used on my JK, so I think with that and my QD I should be fine even using the upper tailgate mount. Can't wait to get going on the install, I too will use the red/white aux wire for my constant battery power.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI for anyone using the Cooltech mount. Take ONE tailgate hinge bolt out at a time and replace it with the Cooltech bolt. Don't take both out together....the tailgate sags and moves the hinge. I never thought taking out the top two (bottom two still tight and in tact) while the tailgate was closed would move the hinge........it does a little. Took me an hour to get it re-aligned properly (hope it's properly) where it closes correctly with the tire installed (learned that lesson too, more weight affects how the gate swings). Anyway, just a warning to not be stupid like me. Other thant that I like the mount.

One more thing, does the Cooltech instructions tell you to discard the OE hinge bolts? Did I read that right? I would never discard them, save them for if you ever take the mount off.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
FYI for anyone using the Cooltech mount. Take ONE tailgate hinge bolt out at a time and replace it with the Cooltech bolt. Don't take both out together....the tailgate sags and moves the hinge. I never thought taking out the top two (bottom two still tight and in tact) while the tailgate was closed would move the hinge........it does a little. Took me an hour to get it re-aligned properly (hope it's properly) where it closes correctly with the tire installed (learned that lesson too, more weight affects how the gate swings). Anyway, just a warning to not be stupid like me. Other thant that I like the mount.

One more thing, does the Cooltech instructions tell you to discard the OE hinge bolts? Did I read that right? I would never discard them, save them for if you ever take the mount off.
The instructions says to put some cardboard in the gap between door and body... I wedged in a good amount before taking off the 2 bolts. I had no problems with a sag or anything. Of course tire was already off at that step too, and the tailgate was closed. And it was a quick 2 step process, remove bolts, but new bracket on.

Yeah they did say "toss them", but like all Jeep projects, you start building a pile of removed parts for "undoing work". I actually have the bolts on my desk at work, good examples of the color to show people. :) Anyway they say "toss them" as they are not needed anymore in assembly.

The mount is really nice, I appreciate that its stainless steel and should hold up for the duration.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instructions says to put some cardboard in the gap between door and body... I wedged in a good amount before taking off the 2 bolts. I had no problems with a sag or anything. Of course tire was already off at that step too, and the tailgate was closed. And it was a quick 2 step process, remove bolts, but new bracket on.

Yeah they did say "toss them", but like all Jeep projects, you start building a pile of removed parts for "undoing work". I actually have the bolts on my desk at work, good examples of the color to show people. :) Anyway they say "toss them" as they are not needed anymore in assembly.

The mount is really nice, I appreciate that its stainless steel and should hold up for the duration.
My main problem. I hate to read instructions, especially when I think I know what I am doing. It’s a flaw I have. Anyway, glad to hear they mention it.

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I installed my cool tech kit last weekend and it works amazing! It is my fist install, so bear with me as I get better at this and taking the right pictures (and if I made a mistake please let me know, grounding was my only concern but I think I got it).... but as far as I know and functionality, it works great. I already went out to hit some trails with the San Diego Jeep club in Big Bear and the communication was perfect! So here it goes....

031D8E4F-C6D0-402A-88CA-899B0E440AE9.jpeg

1F1E6F47-3F51-41A2-9978-994C18C6FCD4.jpeg

78306865-30A0-4AC0-9B83-AE65B5B1F88F.jpeg

57A5E16B-B204-4E36-BC74-3B0B325EB5A5.jpeg

42B183A6-E36F-43B4-92A9-648A777026F3.jpeg

45962AE0-C65D-447F-AABD-625386150602.jpeg

DEB5FCBF-55C9-46D1-A403-47D2DA1F14AD.jpeg

1202E47D-5CCC-41E0-9AC6-D5C4B9614FF3.jpeg

CCDCE011-7FC4-4E29-83D6-D261B5BF1100.jpeg

53D8BA82-A439-4773-9267-9092C1967F4B.jpeg

5CBD5724-E0BE-48F9-88FC-A95BC569F715.jpeg

06F69DE1-741E-493A-94E5-6744BC95E5FB.jpeg

44A5D88C-E90C-4947-B4C9-486C6ADA6733.jpeg

4E1DB836-6C1E-409C-A5D5-9AEE270E41B5.jpeg

368CB494-9CDC-4169-B5FB-6A8DEA5F457C.jpeg

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
C732EDE7-ADD1-4B39-9B85-3EE7E802C8DD.jpeg
7CABE683-C11D-4190-9E8F-5C67119696BA.jpeg
1F93CA10-893A-44D8-9675-C5B505005B27.jpeg
2D92EBDE-9714-41CD-BCBB-CC657B0A27A6.jpeg
All installed, works great!!!

The mic mount was really easy to install. The instructions state that you have to pry open the Hvac Plastic and you would think so but all I did was push down on the top of the plastic right next to the grab bar and it popped open. Push down and out on it.

The blemish you see on the antenna mount is actually a reflection from the antenna base.
Bob,

I’ve read most of your posts. Many thanks for your insights. I’m new to the CB thing as well and would appreciate knowing which wire you settled in on for the hot? I’ve got the same wiring package as you.

Thanks

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

This is a How To Video on the installation of this kit. I wired this up to the battery and ground bus bar, not the AUX switch.
Cool Tech LLC Jeep JL All-In-One CB Radio Kit with the Cobra 75 WXST / 4' Firestik FireFly Antenna.
I'll post a video on how to tune the Antenna with a SWR Meter tomorrow on my YouTube page.

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27

This is a How To Video on the installation of this kit. I wired this up to the battery and ground bus bar, not the AUX switch.
Cool Tech LLC Jeep JL All-In-One CB Radio Kit with the Cobra 75 WXST / 4' Firestik FireFly Antenna.
I'll post a video on how to tune the Antenna with a SWR Meter tomorrow on my YouTube page.
Thanks. I’ll look for the video!
Sponsored