Sponsored

carrying extra gas?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm going on a trip in a month, from closest gas station to end of trail back to gas station is 200+ miles. This trail is about 1/3 pavement, 1/3 dirt road and 1/3 barely technical. With good conditions on pavement I can do about 340 miles between fillups so I'm thinking I need to carry at least 5-6 gallons spare on this trip. I have a stock JLU Sport so there is no convenient place to attach a can on the outside. I could buy or rent a simple rooftop rack. I have Rubicon tires on Sport wheels so maybe I could add that weight to the spare tire rack. Does anybody ever carry a spare can inside the vehicle? I could carry an empty can with me, fill it up at the start of the trail, then by end of the first day I could dump it in the main tank and just be carrying an empty can after that.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The thing I'd be worried about most with carrying spare fuel inside the vehicle is gas fumes. As long as you have good ventilation, you'd probably be OK for that first day.

I know there's some rotopack setups that attach to the spare tire area, so maybe that's a solution for you? Or just bungie-strap it to your rear bumper?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
How about carrying the spare tire inside the vehicle with the gas attached to the spare tire carrier?

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The Smittybilt jeep that was used for ultimate adventure 2019 had two steel gas cans that were mentioned earlier in the the thread mounted inside and the wheeling they do is probably a lot harder than what you're doing in this trip. I think the key is to buy good quality gas cans.
You can see them talking about it in this video around the 14 minute mark

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm just wondering, since I probably mis-read the OP, are you traveling 100 miles in and 100 out, for a total of 200 miles or a total of 400 miles?

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just wondering, since I probably mis-read the OP, are you traveling 100 miles in and 100 out, for a total of 200 miles or a total of 400 miles?
I think the total round trip is 220-240 miles. Offroad sometimes I show 15mpg, sometimes under 10. On pavement I get 20 +/-.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. That's what I thought you were saying. Don't you have a 21 gallon tank?

Seems, even at 10 mpg the whole way (4-low) you've got more than a 200 mile range and at 15 mpg (mixed 4-low and 4-high) you've got over 300 mile range. I don't think you'll need to carry any additional fuel, but even if you did, it would be about a thimble full.

Sponsored

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't you have a 21 gallon tank?
Maybe???

When the gauge is on E and the range in the display is down to 10-20 miles, I can put in about 17.5 gallons. Maybe there is another 3.5 gallons in there, maybe not. In BFE northern New Mexico I'm not pushing it. Now if I was carrying a spare can I could always just run it until it won't go anymore and see what it actually holds.
The other aspect of having a 21 gallon tank- can you actually put 21 gallons in it. I had a Taurus SHO one time with something like a 20 gallon tank, but you could only put about 16 gallons in it. That is unless you spent about 15 minutes dribbling it in.
Anyway there are other threads talking about tank capacity and how the gauge works so I don't want to derail this thread. I'm operating on the assumption that I have under 18 gallons to work with and worst case I might need a few more gallons meaning I would like to carry a 5 or 6 gallon can.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I use the same ones gtx uses, carried them inside the Jeeps many times, as does a buddy. Never had them leak or release any fumes. There are knockoffs which I would stay away from. The genuine cans are excellent. I usually don't need them but for Maze District of Canyonlands and a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon I've needed extra fuel.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use the same ones gtx uses, carried them inside the Jeeps many times, as does a buddy. Never had them leak or release any fumes. There are knockoffs which I would stay away from. The genuine cans are excellent. I usually don't need them but for Maze District of Canyonlands and a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon I've needed extra fuel.
This trip will be Hanksville to Panorama Point to DollHouse then back to Hanksville.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I believe your tank has a 21 gallon capacity, I wouldn’t consider that a useful load. Not sure where the pickup is, but I would hate to find myself in a position where I’m starving the vehicle of fuel on a incline. I would bring extra fuel if there’s a chance you will be running low.
Sponsored

Last edited: