Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Thanks @Rhinebeck01. This is first I've heard about this so I'll have to check it out.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Alison/JeepCares,
Could you please share which 2021 models will receive the updated radio and UConnect system? Is it specific models or vehicles that have the Premium Audio option?

Thanks
Are you speaking about the Uconnect 5 system? If so, this is a new radio entirely and older radios will not be able to be upgraded to the Uconnect 5.

Alison
JeepCares

JMon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude (arriving soon)
Are you speaking about the Uconnect 5 system? If so, this is a new radio entirely and older radios will not be able to be upgraded to the Uconnect 5.

Alison
JeepCares
Yes. I'm asking if the 2021 Wranglers will be getting the new radio that you mention above capable of running Uconnect 5. If yes, then all models or just some models?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Alison
JeepCares
Will there be any sort of upgrade program (Meaning we can get a unit that runs UConnect 5 at a discount, at least) as current UConnect is a kind of a dumpster fire, or will we just have to spend money on an aftermarket unit to solve the problem?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes. I'm asking if the 2021 Wranglers will be getting the new radio that you mention above capable of running Uconnect 5. If yes, then all models or just some models?
Will there be any sort of upgrade program (Meaning we can get a unit that runs UConnect 5 at a discount, at least) as current UConnect is a kind of a dumpster fire, or will we just have to spend money on an aftermarket unit to solve the problem?
Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate regarding the new radio launch. Please feel free to check back with our team down the road to see if any new news has been released regarding the Uconnect 5 system.

It is to my understanding that there is not going to be an upgrade program. I do apologize.

Alison
JeepCares

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate regarding the new radio launch. Please feel free to check back with our team down the road to see if any new news has been released regarding the Uconnect 5 system.

It is to my understanding that there is not going to be an upgrade program. I do apologize.

Alison
JeepCares
Good to know. I won't waste any more time or effort on this thing, and When it inevitably stops working I'll get something else.

Not to be too salty- I know you guys are front line and you're just doing your job- but if you could pass the feedback along up the chain to literally anyone in charge of this kind of stuff: let them know that this absolutely sucks, and is a prime example of why people are pissed off. So much good with the JL platform is being overshadowed by shitty QA (read: faulty, inferior, or straight up broken parts and systems that were sold for a premium with the vehicle) or absolutely abhorrent customer service (zero communication from anyone at corporate to the dealer level, dealers who give customers nothing but hassles and headaches). Look no further than this forum if you need examples.

Likewise: I bought 2 used TJ's with 50k+ mi on them in the past, and never had issues fixing them. The amount of issues and lack of warranty/ FCA support combined with all the hoops you have to jump through to get it squared away for a brand new premium vehicle is convincing me that ordering new is just not worth it. My 3/36 ends Dec 2021 but I'll continue doing whatever fixes I can myself (like I already have with this radio disconnecting from carplay) to avoid having to deal with another fiasco like the W12 Clutch recall.

If/when I buy another wrangler, I'm seriously considering used/ salvage- I do love my JL but feel the warranty has proven pretty useless or a complete and total hassle so far and there seems to be zero support/ accountability for this mess.

Sorry for the rant/ tangent- but I'd really like to know who exactly is in charge of the QA/ Warranty program for fixing issues like this- mostly because they're doing an absolute terrible job.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Good to know. I won't waste any more time or effort on this thing, and When it inevitably stops working I'll get something else.

Not to be too salty- I know you guys are front line and you're just doing your job- but if you could pass the feedback along up the chain to literally anyone in charge of this kind of stuff: let them know that this absolutely sucks, and is a prime example of why people are pissed off. So much good with the JL platform is being overshadowed by shitty QA (read: faulty, inferior, or straight up broken parts and systems that were sold for a premium with the vehicle) or absolutely abhorrent customer service (zero communication from anyone at corporate to the dealer level, dealers who give customers nothing but hassles and headaches). Look no further than this forum if you need examples.

Likewise: I bought 2 used TJ's with 50k+ mi on them in the past, and never had issues fixing them. The amount of issues and lack of warranty/ FCA support combined with all the hoops you have to jump through to get it squared away for a brand new premium vehicle is convincing me that ordering new is just not worth it. My 3/36 ends Dec 2021 but I'll continue doing whatever fixes I can myself (like I already have with this radio disconnecting from carplay) to avoid having to deal with another fiasco like the W12 Clutch recall.

If/when I buy another wrangler, I'm seriously considering used/ salvage- I do love my JL but feel the warranty has proven pretty useless or a complete and total hassle so far and there seems to be zero support/ accountability for this mess.

Sorry for the rant/ tangent- but I'd really like to know who exactly is in charge of the QA/ Warranty program for fixing issues like this- mostly because they're doing an absolute terrible job.
+1 on that...

tomorrow Iā€™m taking my faulty Uconnect JL to the dealership ā€œwith the supportā€ of @JeepCares. I could write a blog about the horrible service from my US Customer Care Case Manager. Sheā€™s done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help, and her communication skills are soooo bad that all you can do is share the experience with friends and laugh. Really, Iā€™m not kidding.

I can understand equipment issues. It happens. But stand behind your product and make things right! And definitely donā€™t drag things on and waste peoplesā€™ time! Thatā€™s been my experience.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
+1 on that...

tomorrow Iā€™m taking my faulty Uconnect JL to the dealership ā€œwith the supportā€ of @JeepCares. I could write a blog about the horrible service from my US Customer Care Case Manager. Sheā€™s done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help, and her communication skills are soooo bad that all you can do is share the experience with friends and laugh. Really, Iā€™m not kidding.

I can understand equipment issues. It happens. But stand behind your product and make things right! And definitely donā€™t drag things on and waste peoplesā€™ time! Thatā€™s been my experience.
My case manager for the W12 Manual Transmission recall was alright. He comped my payment for the month my Jeep was in the shop. Of course, in order to get that far I had to call Corporate, ask for a manager, state my complaints, and reason that my warranty is useless, and I have no confidence in the company/ process, and use the phrase "I'll be speaking to legal counsel to consider my options from here on out regarding this matter". I tried to lay it out like a legal case, and plan for any rebuttal arguments/ pushback, and close that off before it even came up- leaving them no options or ways out other than a blatant "F You" which I was also prepped for; I was nice. I was polite. I wasn't angry. I was even friendly to the reps- because they were doing their job. I've been on that end of the phone in the past, so I get it. I have a feeling that's why I got as far as I did. I even asked "Is there anyone you can pass feedback along to? Because the Warranty/ QA process is absolutely atrocious. It's unacceptable by any business standards" to which each rep replied (exhaustedly) "No, not really. I can forward it to my manager. That's about it".

For me, the carplay issue is wildly inconsistent. My dealer had my Jeep for a month for that W12 recall and could not replicate the Carplay issue. Hell, I can't even consistently replicate it. To be honest, I don't want to bother with it though, and lose my Jeep for another month plus; I spent $130 on the Bluetooth Carplay2Air adapter and called it a day. It's not worth the BS hassle to try to get this "fixed".

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
My case manager for the W12 Manual Transmission recall was alright. He comped my payment for the month my Jeep was in the shop. Of course, in order to get that far I had to call Corporate, ask for a manager, state my complaints, and reason that my warranty is useless, and I have no confidence in the company/ process, and use the phrase "I'll be speaking to legal counsel to consider my options from here on out regarding this matter". I tried to lay it out like a legal case, and plan for any rebuttal arguments/ pushback, and close that off before it even came up- leaving them no options or ways out other than a blatant "F You" which I was also prepped for; I was nice. I was polite. I wasn't angry. I was even friendly to the reps- because they were doing their job. I've been on that end of the phone in the past, so I get it. I have a feeling that's why I got as far as I did. I even asked "Is there anyone you can pass feedback along to? Because the Warranty/ QA process is absolutely atrocious. It's unacceptable by any business standards" to which each rep replied (exhaustedly) "No, not really. I can forward it to my manager. That's about it".

For me, the carplay issue is wildly inconsistent. My dealer had my Jeep for a month for that W12 recall and could not replicate the Carplay issue. Hell, I can't even consistently replicate it. To be honest, I don't want to bother with it though, and lose my Jeep for another month plus; I spent $130 on the Bluetooth Carplay2Air adapter and called it a day. It's not worth the BS hassle to try to get this "fixed".
You sound like a reasonable guy. Thatā€™s been my approach thus far... but to no avail. So the Carplay2Air has worked for you? If so maybe thatā€™s my best option.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You sound like a reasonable guy. Thatā€™s been my approach thus far... but to no avail. So the Carplay2Air has worked for you? If so maybe thatā€™s my best option.
I'll address those statements in reverse order, because relevance.. hahaha.

Yes, Carplay2Air has worked well for me so far, but it's not without issues. If you're just plugging it into a USB, it'll probably work just fine. If you're a freak of nature like myself, who can't leave things alone, you can do somewhat of a "stealth install". Both positive and negative issues and the process are addressed in this thread, so give it a read.

I really have tried to be reasonable. This is the first new vehicle I've ever had from the factory. I've built 2 Jeeps in the past, and have worked on/ been around countless rigs with my friends/ club members. Overall, I love this Jeep. I love it's practicality and the fact that it can be both a hard core off road rig, and haul my family around. The design, fit, and finish was fantastic with the JL. My issue isn't even 100% the quality of parts because I know things don't always work out when it's a new model and tweaks need to be made. I get it. My issue is that we keep finding bad parts or systems that are just straight up broken- and there is zero support/ response/ anything short of lip service and hanging their customer service reps out to dry from FCA corporate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: people worry about warranty getting voided. It's a nice thought to have, and I will 100% use it if possible. I believe FCA should stand behind their warranty and fix the problems in a timely and efficient manner. That said, I'm also a realist. As soon as I ordered, and saw some of the issues with the JL (some are still coming out), I started saving money to have cash on hand. if FCA wants to argue with me over a warranty issue, or refuse to cover something, or void the warranty? Fine. F@#$% your warranty. Fighting with them won't get my Jeep back on the road/ trail. I know enough people and have been doing work on Jeeps now for long enough that I can fix it myself, and if I can't I know someone who can fix it better than factory. I'm also not going to just walk away and let it go, either if I feel it was handled unjustly, and I'm not above exploring all options to be compensated. If nothing else, these scenarios and their outcomes weigh into my future actions as to whether or not I really want to buy more new vehicles, or just end up buying used and implementing DIY/ local mechanic fixes. Being told "Hey, We know UConnect is a dumpster fire, and doesn't play nice with people's phones but we aren't doing anything about it and have no information on it, nor do we plan on offering any sort of replacement program despite selling a flawed product to millions" is heavily swaying me the way of buying used next time. I don't even need an immediate fix- for F@#$'s sake, just admit there's a goddamn problem, talk about it, and tell us you're working on it- you see it all the time in other industries. Why not here?

Sponsored

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I'll address those statements in reverse order, because relevance.. hahaha.

Yes, Carplay2Air has worked well for me so far, but it's not without issues. If you're just plugging it into a USB, it'll probably work just fine. If you're a freak of nature like myself, who can't leave things alone, you can do somewhat of a "stealth install". Both positive and negative issues and the process are addressed in this thread, so give it a read.

I really have tried to be reasonable. This is the first new vehicle I've ever had from the factory. I've built 2 Jeeps in the past, and have worked on/ been around countless rigs with my friends/ club members. Overall, I love this Jeep. I love it's practicality and the fact that it can be both a hard core off road rig, and haul my family around. The design, fit, and finish was fantastic with the JL. My issue isn't even 100% the quality of parts because I know things don't always work out when it's a new model and tweaks need to be made. I get it. My issue is that we keep finding bad parts or systems that are just straight up broken- and there is zero support/ response/ anything short of lip service and hanging their customer service reps out to dry from FCA corporate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: people worry about warranty getting voided. It's a nice thought to have, and I will 100% use it if possible. I believe FCA should stand behind their warranty and fix the problems in a timely and efficient manner. That said, I'm also a realist. As soon as I ordered, and saw some of the issues with the JL (some are still coming out), I started saving money to have cash on hand. if FCA wants to argue with me over a warranty issue, or refuse to cover something, or void the warranty? Fine. F@#$% your warranty. Fighting with them won't get my Jeep back on the road/ trail. I know enough people and have been doing work on Jeeps now for long enough that I can fix it myself, and if I can't I know someone who can fix it better than factory. I'm also not going to just walk away and let it go, either if I feel it was handled unjustly, and I'm not above exploring all options to be compensated. If nothing else, these scenarios and their outcomes weigh into my future actions as to whether or not I really want to buy more new vehicles, or just end up buying used and implementing DIY/ local mechanic fixes. Being told "Hey, We know UConnect is a dumpster fire, and doesn't play nice with people's phones but we aren't doing anything about it and have no information on it, nor do we plan on offering any sort of replacement program despite selling a flawed product to millions" is heavily swaying me the way of buying used next time. I don't even need an immediate fix- for F@#$'s sake, just admit there's a goddamn problem, talk about it, and tell us you're working on it- you see it all the time in other industries. Why not here?
Yup, youā€™re a reasonable guy! Seriously, IMHO all valid comments. And I share a lot of your enjoyment and frustrations with the JL. I just finished a 14 day, 4983 mile ā€œoverlandā€ from FL to NM/AZ/UT/CO and back. Absolutely awesome and so impressed with what the JLUR can do (Imogene, Corkscrew, Alpine Loop...) even loaded with a rooftop tent! But, so frustrating when youā€™ve got your trails marked on Gaia and CarPlay randomly shuts off for anywhere between 3 seconds to 3 hours to 3 days.

As you say... live and learn.
Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay not working 842CA49A-082E-4FCC-B7B4-50CD3F1B0BD5

JamesThomas

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Rubicon Recon
Having this CarPlay issue. I feel the electronics on this thing are possessed. The rear camera issue...wait a day and it is fixed. Heated mirrors turns off blind spot alert. Loose sun-visor brackets.
@JeepCares. This rubi was nearly 60k and at that price it should be perfect.

but I really want my CarPlay. Please help @JeepCares.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Having this CarPlay issue. I feel the electronics on this thing are possessed. The rear camera issue...wait a day and it is fixed. Heated mirrors turns off blind spot alert. Loose sun-visor brackets.
@JeepCares. This rubi was nearly 60k and at that price it should be perfect.

but I really want my CarPlay. Please help @JeepCares.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares

I would follow up with JeepCares.

I am STILL having CarPlay issues, but they recently helped me get one of them addressed.

I was having two issues, CarPlay would intermittently turn on and off and on and off and on and off as if the cable was loose. Also, CarPlay would crash and not come on again for 12 to 24 hours.

they help me convince the dealership to replace the media hub cable and the dealer told me when they inspected the old cable it had a break in it. I was very happy to hear that because it made such perfect sense based on the behavior.

One problem solved. Now hopefully they can help me solve the other problem. I will paste some of my recent experience below incase it helps identify the problem. I just want this to work!

when I plugged in my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 14.2 nothing happened. Carplay did not start. Needless to say I was disappointed. I tried another similar phone and then an iPhone 11 and these did not work either. I waited 24 hours and tried again. This time CarPlay worked for my iPhone as well as the two other phones. I left the vehicle running with CarPlay working. I started the applications Waze, Spotify, and an audiobook app from audible.com. Everything seemed fine for about five minutes but then the radio touch screen froze becoming unresponsive and after about five or 10 seconds it stopped CarPlay reverting to a previous screen and CarPlay would not restart. It continued to charge the phone though. I then tried the other 2 phones but they did the same thing, CarPlay would not start but the phones would charge. I then changed from one Apple OEM cable to another Apple OEM cable but the result was identical.

Then 12 hours later I tried again. This time my iPhone started CarPlay again and it continue to work for about three minutes. After three minutes the radio froze again stopping the audiobook that I was playing. About 20 seconds later an error message showed on the screen and I have attached a picture below. The message read ā€œthere was a connection error with your Apple CarPlay deviceā€œ. When I touched OK to clear the dialog box the radio resumed normal function except CarPlay was not available. My phone was still plugged in and it showed that it was still charging.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I would follow up with JeepCares.

I am STILL having CarPlay issues, but they recently helped me get one of them addressed.

I was having two issues, CarPlay would intermittently turn on and off and on and off and on and off as if the cable was loose. Also, CarPlay would crash and not come on again for 12 to 24 hours.

they help me convince the dealership to replace the media hub cable and the dealer told me when they inspected the old cable it had a break in it. I was very happy to hear that because it made such perfect sense based on the behavior.

One problem solved. Now hopefully they can help me solve the other problem. I will paste some of my recent experience below incase it helps identify the problem. I just want this to work!

when I plugged in my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 14.2 nothing happened. Carplay did not start. Needless to say I was disappointed. I tried another similar phone and then an iPhone 11 and these did not work either. I waited 24 hours and tried again. This time CarPlay worked for my iPhone as well as the two other phones. I left the vehicle running with CarPlay working. I started the applications Waze, Spotify, and an audiobook app from audible.com. Everything seemed fine for about five minutes but then the radio touch screen froze becoming unresponsive and after about five or 10 seconds it stopped CarPlay reverting to a previous screen and CarPlay would not restart. It continued to charge the phone though. I then tried the other 2 phones but they did the same thing, CarPlay would not start but the phones would charge. I then changed from one Apple OEM cable to another Apple OEM cable but the result was identical.

Then 12 hours later I tried again. This time my iPhone started CarPlay again and it continue to work for about three minutes. After three minutes the radio froze again stopping the audiobook that I was playing. About 20 seconds later an error message showed on the screen and I have attached a picture below. The message read ā€œthere was a connection error with your Apple CarPlay deviceā€œ. When I touched OK to clear the dialog box the radio resumed normal function except CarPlay was not available. My phone was still plugged in and it showed that it was still charging.
Here is the screen error message...
Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay not working 590C1A19-06DD-4C1D-BE99-05BA1D68CF91
Sponsored