Sponsored

Can't Decide What to Order

PTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
I know that everyone has different wants/needs but am just curious to see why people chose between a couple of different options. I will use mine as a daily driver but it will go offroad once or twice a month and will go to Moab or Denver once or twice a year. Not doing anything too crazy but definitely more than just fire roads.

I am settled on a JLU Rubicon and am going to keep it stock for now since it is a daily driver and I think 33s and no lift should be good for most of what I am doing when I take it on the trails. I am having a hard time deciding between manual and automatic I don't mind automatic as a daily driver (I drove an automatic Audi every day for about 5 years and had no complaints) but have only used an automatic when offroading. I imagine there will be a learning curve for this but don't plan to take it up hell's gate so I think a manual if probably fine. Most people complain about the manual as an annoyance for a daily driver but that part doesn't really bother me. $4,000 just for an auto transmission is a lot of money and I can't make up my mind.

The other option I am wavering on is the hard top vs. soft top. I am leaning towards a hard top since I don't have a garage and security is more of an issue where I park, but if I get a hard top and then never take it off because it is a PITA, I am going to constantly be reminding myself of the last jeep I had where the top would come down in 2 minutes every time I saw a ray of sun.

Just looking for a few opinions to consider. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

I’d get the automatic and the hardtop.

The automatic transmission is one of the best in the business. The manual, while fun to drive, has had issues since day one. Besides, it is a lot easier to offroad with the automatic.

The hardtop comes from the factory with all the switches and fluid lines for the rear wiper, and provides greater security. Adding a soft top later is easier and cheaper than adding a hardtop.

Good luck.

Sobchak Security

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Trans is really up to you. The hardtop should be a no brainer. Even if it's a pain to remove the whole thing, you can always pop the freedom panels off in a few mins.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Get the manual, with the hard top. You can pick up a soft top for $500-$1000 when you want one. Go 4.88 gears since your near the mountains, and don’t forget the cold weather package. Totally worth it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Can't help with manual vs automatic. I'm a lazy bastard, so automatic was an easy choice. Plus, as @aldo98229 points out, the automatic is widely praised as being fantastic, while the manual ... not so much.

On tops, might I recommend hard top (so you get security, wiring/tubing, etc) with the Bestop Sunrider for hard tops. It's basically a little soft top that fits where the freedom panels are, and it's *fantastic*. It was one of the first things I bought, and it stays on my Jeep pretty much year-round, unless I'm going on a road trip where I'm not likely to want to open it.

Pros:
- You can open/close it on a whim, sitting at a stop light even. Super easy to do alone while buckled into the drivers' seat
- Fits really well, easy to remove/re-install as needed (~10 minutes using the factory-provided toolkit)
- Get most of that open-air feel without having to get out of your Jeep

Cons:
- Kinda pricey (watch for it on sale on Amazon)
- Slightly noisier than the Freedom Panels*
- Not truly full open-air

*I was cautious of the additional road noise, but tbh, it's not really a big deal. Yes, the freedom panels ARE quieter (and I have the headliner, too). That's a fact. But I can still have a normal conversation with the Sunrider closed, with no issues. For longer road trips, unless it's to the beach, I'll normally put the freedom panels back on, just because they *are* slightly quieter, and on a several-hour long road trip, you notice. But I've also taken many road trips with the sunrider and wouldn't NOT use it. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

don’t forget the cold weather package. Totally worth it.
Seconded. People in Texas like to think "Eh, it doesn't get cold here, I don't need a seat heater" but if you're a road tripper, having heated seats can be a god send after 5+ hours in the driver's seat, to give your back a little relief.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You'll like the manual better with 4.88s. It just isn't geared right for use with 4.10s on Rubicons and especially 3.45s on the rest of the Wranglers. The manual in these are nowhere near as good as it it was in the JK. I miss my manual JK, but the manual JL just didn't fell right to me.

I decided on an automatic with my current Jeep. It was hard to believe how good it is. It it boring some times? yeah. But it's the best automatic I've ever had.

Get the hardtop. You can get a Bestop Sun Rider to replace the roof panels if you want easy access to sun.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Personally i prefer manual off road.

I mean the whole reason we have a low range is for higher resolution throttle input. I feel I have much more control with a clutch at very slow speeds than I do with an auto. I also always found it easier to get unstuck with a manual as you can rock the car with the clutch.

Granted I havent tried rock crawling yet, or tried the manual with a wrangler.

I can’t really imagine any situation I’d prefer an auto though.

OP
OP

PTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
WAIT for new power plant
I am not sure what you mean. Is there going to be a change for 2023 to the various engines options?

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I am not sure what you mean. Is there going to be a change for 2023 to the various engines options?
Jeep Wrangler JL Can't Decide What to Order 1662570040044

Currently offered in Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@PTM: I have no stake here. Still more, I own the hard top, soft top, Sunrider https://www.bestop.com/products/sun...-gladiator-2018-2022-wrangler-jl/?sku=5245417, and the product I'm about to recommend: the EZ Flip. I love them all. https://eztrunk.net/shop/ols/products/2019-present-jt-ezflip-top-201-prs-jt-zfl

That said, the EZ Flip is half the price of the Sunrider, it allows you to keep the hard top your parking locale seems to need, and its hinge screws can be removed should you decide you what to use a Sunrider top down the road. Just make sure you follow the directions including cleaning the hard top before installing the EZ Flip.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Also I really regret not ordering the power top. I got the soft top. I like you, love to open the top as often as possible. I didnt get the power top because of the cost, and I regret it. I tried to be frugal with the options like you as well.

Soft top = makes a $60k wrangler look like a $25k wrangler. Also no roof rack. Easy to change positions though.
Black hard top = also looks like crap, and is a pain in the ass to go topless
Body colored hard top = looks amazing, but pain in the ass to go topless
Power top = looks amazing and even easier than soft top to fully open.

Also regret not ordering body colored fenders. Just looks so chincy with the plastic everywhere.

Last edited:

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Also I think I have figured out the secret to off roading.

Recovery gear.

Your setup doesn’t matter if you’re just doing it for fun. It’s not like a lifted jeep with 40’s is more fun off-road than a base sport.

The main problem with not having upgrades is getting stuck, that will ruin your whole day real fast.

I would skip any money spent making it more capable off-road options and spend it on recovery gear and protection of the vehicle from damage. Then you can have real fun.

What I wish existed was a winch I could easily take on and off, because I don’t want to roll around with all that extra weight that far over the front axle. I also want a hi jack lift that I can install for the trip and not permanently mount on the side of the jeep.

I actually wish there was a winch that was located under the jeep, and then the cable was routed to the front. Then you could forgo the steel bumper and the 150lbs out in front.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@PTM as you said, "I know that everyone has different wants/needs..."

The manual trans with 4.88 gearing is the best option Jeep offers. I've read about issues with the manual trans, but not so much recently, and I've owned two JLs with the manual and like it a lot. No issues.

The soft top is a no-brainer in my book. The hard top doesn't offer more security, just the appearance of more security. If ever you think you'd put the top back or down, get the soft top.

You can save thousands of dollars by getting the manual trans and soft top, and it's makes for a better (not-debatable) Jeep anyway.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Also I think I have figured out the secret to off roading.

Recovery gear.

Your setup doesn’t matter if you’re just doing it for fun. It’s not like a lifted jeep with 40’s is more fun off-road than a base sport.

The main problem with not having upgrades is getting stuck, that will ruin your whole day real fast.

I would skip any money spent making it more capable off-road options and spend it on recovery gear and protection of the vehicle from damage. Then you can have real fun.

What I wish existed was a winch I could easily take on and off, because I don’t want to roll around with all that extra weight that far over the front axle. I also want a hi jack lift that I can install for the trip and not permanently mount on the side of the jeep.

I actually wish there was a winch that was located under the jeep, and then the cable was routed to the front. Then you could forgo the steel bumper and the 150lbs out in front.
My winch weighs 70lbs and so does my bumper. I have Rubi springs front springs from a metal bumper + tow package rubi. I lost less than 1/2inch in height up front. it is not too bad.

A winch is so far the best recovery gear I spent my money on. It has safely pulled me off places a few times already. When you get stuck on a high incline and suspension is fully articulated having a winch is God send.

Also if you know how to use your winch you could pretty much anywhere without a huge build. It is perfect for those who want to explore and don't care much about doing obstacles without a winch.
Sponsored