Can't Decide What to Order

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am having a hard time deciding between manual and automatic. $4,000 just for an auto transmission is a lot of money and I can't make up my mind.

The other option I am wavering on is the hard top vs. soft top.
Transmission
I thought I'd have a difficult time choosing a transmission, but my 3 pre-purchase test drives made the choice quite easy. I didn't take to the manual's gear ratios straight away, and more to the point, I really didn't like the ergonomics of the gear shift lever. The buttery smooth operation of the ZF 8-speed automatic made it impossible to ignore. That it was only $1,500.00 when I configured my vehicle order settled the matter. FCA and now Stellantis play games with transmission pricing every year, so it's unfortunate that the 850RE now commands a $4K premium.

Hard vs. soft top
My Jeep lives in a garage at night, and the increased headroom that soft top provides made the hardtop feel rather cramped for this tall fellow. The JL-generation soft top is also an order of magnitude better than prior generations, so this too was an easy choice to make. The absence of a rear wiper and washer is just a mild inconvenience in my view (ha), and detaching the rear window for loading/unloading (when necessary) requires just 8 seconds on average. That said, your stated concerns regarding security, etc. suggest that you're probably better off with the hardtop.
Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I know that everyone has different wants/needs but am just curious to see why people chose between a couple of different options. I will use mine as a daily driver but it will go offroad once or twice a month and will go to Moab or Denver once or twice a year. Not doing anything too crazy but definitely more than just fire roads.

I am settled on a JLU Rubicon and am going to keep it stock for now since it is a daily driver and I think 33s and no lift should be good for most of what I am doing when I take it on the trails. I am having a hard time deciding between manual and automatic I don't mind automatic as a daily driver (I drove an automatic Audi every day for about 5 years and had no complaints) but have only used an automatic when offroading. I imagine there will be a learning curve for this but don't plan to take it up hell's gate so I think a manual if probably fine. Most people complain about the manual as an annoyance for a daily driver but that part doesn't really bother me. $4,000 just for an auto transmission is a lot of money and I can't make up my mind.

The other option I am wavering on is the hard top vs. soft top. I am leaning towards a hard top since I don't have a garage and security is more of an issue where I park, but if I get a hard top and then never take it off because it is a PITA, I am going to constantly be reminding myself of the last jeep I had where the top would come down in 2 minutes every time I saw a ray of sun.

Just looking for a few opinions to consider. Thanks.
If you EVER want to get a hardtop, get it NOW!!! If you decide later to get a hard top it will cost you $4000 - $5000 to get the complete hard top installed to factory specs. You can find a hard top for $1500 - $2000 as a general rule. But you need to buy the locking mechanisms for the freedom panels, $100. The cable to make the defroster/wiper function is $350 or more. And if you do not have the talent to install the cable yourself estimates in the $2000 range for the install. If you have a heated steering wheel the clock spring has to be replaced, which means the steering wheel has to be pulled. It is a mess. Order the hard top NOW if you ever want one.

OP
OP

PTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT

First Jeep, had it for about a month now. The XR package and 35ā€ tires, even if you only ever drive it in a parking lot at Walmart and hop the occasional curb, looks badass. Have taken it out in deep sand, water and mud, we have plenty of that in FL, and it was amazing that it didnā€™t get stuck. Donā€™t know if a stock Rubi would do the same. Daily Driving the XR is fine, I donā€™t see any issues.

As far as the top, went with the Sky One Touch (SOT). Almost nary a day has gone by that I havenā€™t opened that top. Twenty seconds and the push of a button to go topless, and to reverse it.

Iā€™ve never really been a Jeep enthusiast, as I only ever knew older Jeeps, and actually bought the Jeep for my wife. However, after a month in this JLUR XR, Iā€™m one weak moment and bad decision away from ordering another JLUR XR w/SOT.

B775F18C-4AAE-4081-9B9B-6201CF6CED7B.jpeg

72F27992-F55D-48CB-85F6-D1C0F0806E6F.jpeg

E0EC7821-82ED-4017-A3DF-13ADD298CEAB.jpeg
If price were no object, I think that makes a lot of sense. I don't think I can swing the one touch roof or the XP package though. Enviable setup nevertheless.

Tropikal

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Welcome to the forum!

Iā€™d get the automatic and the hardtop.

I don't believe the new engine options available in the Wagoneer will be available anytime soon on the current JL. And if it does, probably will cost way more/ probably closed to the current 392 prices.

The 4.10 Gears in the Rubicon should be enough for your basic off-roading needs. with the stock tires. If you are planning/itching to get bigger tires in the future, e.g. 35's or even
37's then 4.56 or 4.88 will do.

Good Luck and Happy Jeeping.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that this engine will never see a JL, maybe never a Wrangler. If it does, it will be in a new generation of Wrangler with the space for it and all of the required turbo plumbing and cooling engineered into the design. If that that were to happen it will be a limited edition, high dollar model.
This is a inline-six version of the existing 2.0T. It can't be more than 60% bigger than that engine (which is relatively compact). I could see it as a 392 replacement a few years down the line, after the swan song for the V8s starts to fade.

If you EVER want to get a hardtop, get it NOW!!! If you decide later to get a hard top it will cost you $4000 - $5000 to get the complete hard top installed to factory specs. You can find a hard top for $1500 - $2000 as a general rule. But you need to buy the locking mechanisms for the freedom panels, $100. The cable to make the defroster/wiper function is $350 or more. And if you do not have the talent to install the cable yourself estimates in the $2000 range for the install. If you have a heated steering wheel the clock spring has to be replaced, which means the steering wheel has to be pulled. It is a mess. Order the hard top NOW if you ever want one.
That sounds like a story from unfortunate experience...

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My vote: JLUR, auto, hard top, 4.88 gear ratio.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Okayā€¦ hereā€™s my opinion, which of course is worthless, but take it for what it is:
  • If you want a Sport, get a special package like the Freedom package if you can - great value there! I have one and love it!
  • If you want a Willys, get the ā€œfull Willysā€ and not just a Willys sport - again, the difference in options is worth it.
  • If you plan to do a lot of serious off-roading or rock crawling, spring for the rubicon. It is built for it. If not, any of the other Jeep trims are more than capable for anything you throw at it and in any conditions. You can always upgrade, of course, but yeahā€¦
  • If you can afford a 392 and donā€™t care about the cost of fuelā€¦ well damn you are richer than I am and will have a lot of fun with it! Test drove one and it is justā€¦ wow, what a fun ride!
  • If you only drive short trips, like high torque, and want to conserve fuel, maybe try a 4xe. Iā€™ve never driven one, but would love to test drive one at some point!
  • If you have a lot of kids, pets, or luggage, or are absolutely in love with the XR packageā€¦get a four door. If itā€™s just you and the wife/dog, and donā€™t care about the XR packageā€¦get a two door. The back seat is easily removable, and it is more fun to drive with a tight turning radius!
  • If you insist on rowing your own gears, get a manual transmission. If you want an easier, more dependable ride, get the automatic transmission. The auto trans option is the better of two for multiple reasons.
  • If you can get one with a hard top factory installed, do it. Soft top is cool and has its benefits, sure. But much easier to take hard top off and put soft on vs. the other way around. Wiring is a pain.
  • If you want better headlights, the LED stock headlights are much better than the stock halogens. Taillights, the difference is more form than function in my honest opinion. I have front LED and halogen tails - I havenā€™t felt the need to upgrade the taillights.
  • If you are choosing between the 2.0 and the 3.6 engines, the 2.0 is peppier and more fun. Iā€™ve driven both and really like the 2.0ā€™s performance better. The 2.0 does have a little turbo ā€œhissā€ when you step on it, but I didnā€™t get my Jeep to impress others with the sound of my engine. If you are about that, the 392 is the choice.
  • If you are stuck on a color choice: White is the cheapest. Black is good if you are Batman. Sting Grey is the coolest. šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
This is a inline-six version of the existing 2.0T. It can't be more than 60% bigger than that engine (which is relatively compact). I could see it as a 392 replacement a few years down the line, after the swan song for the V8s starts to fade.

That sounds like a story from unfortunate experience...
I ordered my 2022 Sahara with a soft top, then the next day I tried to change to a hard top, but the VIN had already been assigned so I couldn't change it. Then I found out the problem with trying to put a hard top on a soft top equipped Jeep. That's why when I saw Reign, I decided to get a 2023 Reign Rubicon and I will sell my 2022 Sahara. Unfortunately you cannot get a 2023 Sahara with a manual transmission so I went up to a Rubicon. And WITH the body colored hard top.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The inline 6 is two more cylinders and two turbos vs one on the current 4 cylinder. That means a whole lot more cooling and space requirements. Maybe they could pull it off with a single variable vane turbo.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
WAIT for new power plant
Im not so sure any are coming. The hurricane is longer than the 392 or Pentastar. Will it fit?...

If it were true, I'd wait too..

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
My first JK was a 2017 2-door manual Sahara. I love driving manual. Bought it with the hard top and purchased a soft top off of Craigslist.

I decided to move to a 4-door because I was hauling people at work to customer meetings. I don't see anyone else ever say this, but since I run doors off as much as I can, I grew tired of pulling my foot back in to shift or stop, so I went with an auto in my 2020 JKURHR. 1st world problems, I know. Ordered that one with a hard top and bought a soft top off of CL again.

For my latest Jeep, I went with the 4xe Rubicon, only available in 4-door and auto. Ordered with dual tops. If I had to do again, would probably go with the Sky One Touch (and perhaps dual door group). I prefer the hardtop for winter and the soft top for summer, AND prefer the full top down look, but I think the convenience of the SOT would be fantastic and I wouldn't have to store a top year round.

OP
OP

PTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Okayā€¦ hereā€™s my opinion, which of course is worthless, but take it for what it is:
  • If you want a Sport, get a special package like the Freedom package if you can - great value there! I have one and love it!
  • If you want a Willys, get the ā€œfull Willysā€ and not just a Willys sport - again, the difference in options is worth it.
  • If you plan to do a lot of serious off-roading or rock crawling, spring for the rubicon. It is built for it. If not, any of the other Jeep trims are more than capable for anything you throw at it and in any conditions. You can always upgrade, of course, but yeahā€¦
  • If you can afford a 392 and donā€™t care about the cost of fuelā€¦ well damn you are richer than I am and will have a lot of fun with it! Test drove one and it is justā€¦ wow, what a fun ride!
  • If you only drive short trips, like high torque, and want to conserve fuel, maybe try a 4xe. Iā€™ve never driven one, but would love to test drive one at some point!
  • If you have a lot of kids, pets, or luggage, or are absolutely in love with the XR packageā€¦get a four door. If itā€™s just you and the wife/dog, and donā€™t care about the XR packageā€¦get a two door. The back seat is easily removable, and it is more fun to drive with a tight turning radius!
  • If you insist on rowing your own gears, get a manual transmission. If you want an easier, more dependable ride, get the automatic transmission. The auto trans option is the better of two for multiple reasons.
  • If you can get one with a hard top factory installed, do it. Soft top is cool and has its benefits, sure. But much easier to take hard top off and put soft on vs. the other way around. Wiring is a pain.
  • If you want better headlights, the LED stock headlights are much better than the stock halogens. Taillights, the difference is more form than function in my honest opinion. I have front LED and halogen tails - I havenā€™t felt the need to upgrade the taillights.
  • If you are choosing between the 2.0 and the 3.6 engines, the 2.0 is peppier and more fun. Iā€™ve driven both and really like the 2.0ā€™s performance better. The 2.0 does have a little turbo ā€œhissā€ when you step on it, but I didnā€™t get my Jeep to impress others with the sound of my engine. If you are about that, the 392 is the choice.
  • If you are stuck on a color choice: White is the cheapest. Black is good if you are Batman. Sting Grey is the coolest. šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘
If I were a teacher I would have to give you extra credit. I asked 2 questions and you answered 10.

OP
OP

PTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
My first JK was a 2017 2-door manual Sahara. I love driving manual. Bought it with the hard top and purchased a soft top off of Craigslist.

I decided to move to a 4-door because I was hauling people at work to customer meetings. I don't see anyone else ever say this, but since I run doors off as much as I can, I grew tired of pulling my foot back in to shift or stop, so I went with an auto in my 2020 JKURHR. 1st world problems, I know. Ordered that one with a hard top and bought a soft top off of CL again.

For my latest Jeep, I went with the 4xe Rubicon, only available in 4-door and auto. Ordered with dual tops. If I had to do again, would probably go with the Sky One Touch (and perhaps dual door group). I prefer the hardtop for winter and the soft top for summer, AND prefer the full top down look, but I think the convenience of the SOT would be fantastic and I wouldn't have to store a top year round.
I can't afford the one touch and am leaning towards the hard top since aftermarket soft tops are easier to buy. Still torn on the auto/manual debate.

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
my .02 on manual or auto... i've owned 5 jeeps in my life. 2 cj5s, a 2 door jk, a 2020 sahara jlu, and now a 22 jlur. the cj5s were of course manual. the jk was manual. i wheeled them all and loved them all. i wanted another manual when i bought the 2020. i drove it and it was nice. i liked it. but it was a 3.6... then i test drove a 2020 2.0 with the turbo and auto. LOVED IT. really impressed with how it ran and how smooth the auto is. so when i ordered my 22 i again went with the 2.0 and auto. it's a great combination really. plus the bonus is with an auto you can get remote start.

as for the top... i got the hard top on both the 20 and 22. bought a soft top from marketplace. i also added the sunrider for hard top. having those as options are wonderful. i wouldn't do the tops any other way.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Black hardtop with automatic and body colored fenders. The black hard or soft top is what makes a Jeep a Jeep and sets it apart. Painted hard top looks like a Suzuki samurai or a SUV with a non-removable top.
Sponsored