First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Going camping this weekend with my eureka for the first time. I’ll let you know how it works. Yeah I’m sure I was marketed to by REI, but let’s find out if it actually does the trick!
Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have the Oris Skottle as it is setup to allow removal of the skottle plate and offers a platform to put a pot on if needed. Pretty compact setup.

I also have the JetBoil Genesis BaseCamp, and it's awesomely compact.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have the Oris Skottle as it is setup to allow removal of the skottle plate and offers a platform to put a pot on if needed. Pretty compact setup.

I also have the JetBoil Genesis BaseCamp, and it's awesomely compact.
Thanks to @Arterius2 I picked up a Jetboil Basecamp last week, very nicely built and compact unit. I think that and the skottle I bought from @Geos7812 at his Etsy store should be everything we need for cooking. Very happy with both units, actually cooked dinner last night for the wife in the kitchen with these two items to get a feel for them. I recommend anyone practice new camp cooking equipment at home to get your recipes dialed in, I didn't realize how quickly skottles heat up and hold the heat, better to find out at home than ruin a meal out on the trail. I also carry a plain ole grill grate, If open fires are allowed where we are at, nothing beats a ribeye over an open mesquite flame. I grew up with coleman camp stoves, but I find over time they aren't what they used to be quality wise, and finding an old one in good condition is very hard.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned in an earlier post, I've got a Colman dual burner. I'm not really happy with it in that the igniter only works half the time. But I keep a lighter as a backup. It does work well. However what I really want is this GSI Pinnacle Pro stove that is currently a kickstarter.

https://gsioutdoors.com/blog/PinnacleProKickstarter

They should have started delivering last month but they're now delayed until June due to COVID related issues.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks to @Arterius2 I picked up a Jetboil Basecamp last week, very nicely built and compact unit. I think that and the skottle I bought from @Geos7812 at his Etsy store should be everything we need for cooking. Very happy with both units, actually cooked dinner last night for the wife in the kitchen with these two items to get a feel for them. I recommend anyone practice new camp cooking equipment at home to get your recipes dialed in, I didn't realize how quickly skottles heat up and hold the heat, better to find out at home than ruin a meal out on the trail. I also carry a plain ole grill grate, If open fires are allowed where we are at, nothing beats a ribeye over an open mesquite flame. I grew up with coleman camp stoves, but I find over time they aren't what they used to be quality wise, and finding an old one in good condition is very hard.
glad you like it Jim. Yes, it takes small adjustments of the burner amd once you do too much takes awhile to cool back down.

I really appreciate all the cooking chatter; definitely my favorite part of camping. It gives me a lot of Joy knowing that something I made will be cooking many a meal this coming season.

thank you all!

geoff

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure this qualifies as a camp stove but I recently picked up a Blackstone 17” griddle, it comes with a regulator that attaches to those 1lb Coleman camp bottles but you can get a adapter with a 6’ hose that attaches to a full size tank

Jeep Wrangler JL Camp stove 4A7471B6-13D2-4840-867D-D3EC654F3041

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr

Excellent point ... practice cooking on your camp stove before you go.

I have a single burner Camp Chef and for places that do not allow ground pit fires I also bring a Solo-Stove. It classifies as a stove when camp fire pit burning is not allowed.

I've used the solo stove for a couple years now, and it's excellent.

BONFIRE_2_1000__05419.1622388860.jpg

camp-chief-single.jpg

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Excellent point ... practice cooking on your camp stove before you go.

I have a single burner Camp Chef and for places that do not allow ground pit fires I also bring a Solo-Stove. It classifies as a stove when camp fire pit burning is not allowed.

I've used the solo stove for a couple years now, and it's excellent.
Those are really nifty, want one for our back porch. Is it truly pretty smokeless like they advertise? We have a chiminea which I love, but I always used them in open patios, and don't really have a place to put it off of the porch... Smokes us out every time no matter what I do and would be happy to replace it, but Solo is awfully proud of these things with what they charge.

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Those are really nifty, want one for our back porch. Is it truly pretty smokeless like they advertise? We have a chiminea which I love, but I always used them in open patios, and don't really have a place to put it off of the porch... Smokes us out every time no matter what I do and would be happy to replace it, but Solo is awfully proud of these things with what they charge.

Yes they are smokeless PROVIDED you do not put the wood above the holes near the top lip. They have 3 sizes, Yukon, Bonfire, Ranger. The Bonfire will take normal sized firewood, but the Ranger you need to cut the wood down to keep it below those holes. Even when you have some wood above it's very little smoke. It burns the wood to complete ash, and very very little ash when done. I have not tried the Yukon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm a big fan of the Iwatani 35FW butane stove. It burns really hot but can cook at a low simmer as well. All of the caveats for butane still apply (cold temps, altitude, etc...) but ever since I got this, I haven't used my Camp Chef Everest at all. Don't really miss the 2 burners or the heavy propane tank.

If you're cooking a bunch of different things and/or for a group, this may not work for you, though.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a friend that has offered to sell his Partner 2 burner to me but I'm waiting to see if GSI releases there new Pinnacle Pro stove first. I'm really interested in the thin and light design of it. If they do end up releasing it, being 1.4" think would make packing so nice.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a friend that has offered to sell his Partner 2 burner to me but I'm waiting to see if GSI releases there new Pinnacle Pro stove first. I'm really interested in the thin and light design of it. If they do end up releasing it, being 1.4" think would make packing so nice.
I have a Partner 2 burner stove. Works great, it is something that you'll pass on to your kids.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a Partner 2 burner stove. Works great, it is something that you'll pass on to your kids.
Yeah it looks to be built for life. Only concern was I read that it doesn't work well for fine control of the burner, mainly just on/off. Is that true? Is there a good range that allows for control?

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah it looks to be built for life. Only concern was I read that it doesn't work well for fine control of the burner, mainly just on/off. Is that true? Is there a good range that allows for control?
First I've heard that. Mine has as good of a control range as my stove at home. Mine is about 4 years old so don't know if they've changed them since.
Sponsored