Sponsored

Bumper damage and mismatch - need advice!

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon Denali, Audi Q7, Motorcycles, Ski Doo Renegage 800, Honda Pioneer 1000
Ran into a few issues with my bumper install and was hoping to get some feedback. I ordered two different brands for front and back. Each had the features/look that I wanted. They came tonight and the front has a pretty decent ding, the rear has a minor ding and the finishes are noticeably different.

So, the first question is how Quadratec will deal with the shipping damage....send back in exchange, offer a discount, etc? It can't be cheap to ship these things. Both bumpers were packaged pretty poorly and it doesn't surprise me that they sustained damage.

Second question... how to deal with the different finishes. I really don't want to dump more time and money into powder coating. I'm not sure you really see the front and rear bumpers at the same time on these rigs, but also don't want something that looks completely mismatched. The rear is textured and more glossy. Front is basically flat black.

At the present I have a JL without a front bumper and REALLY don't want to take the time to put it back together.

Here are some pics to illustrate. Love to hear your thoughts:

Front bumper is a Quadratec Aluminum Brute Strength Winch bumper. As far as I can tell, they don't make a matching rear...
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.07.16 PM.png

Rear is a DV8 full length rear with LED lights.
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.09.04 PM.png

Front damage and finish.
IMG_7563.jpeg

Rear finish.
IMG_7569.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thought... I wonder how well the spray can bed liner products would work. That should get me the same finish on both of them and probably even hide the imperfection. I just don't want something that's chipping off in 12 months.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Rattle can.

Al@OH

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ,JK & JL
See what Quadratic will do for you. But I'd scuff down the front bumper with a scotchbrite pad and spray it with black wrinkle paint. The wrinkle paint comes out pretty decent. Experiment on something small first. Tip...a heatgun will really bring out the "wrinkle" and don't put on the paint to heavy.

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
I just sent a bumper back to them last week, for a dent. They call ups to come pick it up and sent me a new one before ups picked up the old one. Real good transaction, quadratec will take care of you, no problem.

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Do you plan on wheeling your Jeep in terrain that’s likely to scuff up the bumper? If so, see if Quadratec will take some money off the purchase and live with it, since you’ll need to touch up your trail damage on a regular basis anyway.

OP
OP

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably some saplings and stuff, but not rocks or trail damage.

OP
OP

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking more about this overnight... I’m going to check with Quadratec on the return today. I will probably just exchange for a new one unless they offer a significant discount to keep it.

The rear bumper finish is too different and I’m going to return (hopefully Extremeterrain will return or exchange it). Here’s where I need a little help. For the rear bumper I need something that meets these requirements:

1. Flat black with no texture (must have)
2. Integrated lights (nice to have)
3. Possibly heavy duty tire carrier for 35” spare (planned on trying my luck with the Mopar first)

Any ideas?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Look at Roamoffroad.com They have some very cool bumpers.

If you like the ones you ordered, buy the spray on bedliner or the roll on bed liner and match them up.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
I had a similar problem with my JK bumpers back in 2008. I hit them with Rusto spray can bedliner and they still looked fantastic when I sold her last month. The best part is that if you get a chip or ding on the trail, a couple of quick spritzes of bedliner makes them disappear.
I plan to do the same thing with my JL bumpers as soon as I get those first few dings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called Quadratec this morning to process the damaged return. Wow, their customer service is insanely good!

I then called Extreme Terrain and they asked for pictures of the damage. I just emailed them pics and assuming no hang ups, I'm going to exchange the rear for this one. It seems to have the right matching finish and also gives me the ability to mount my 35" tire. Win win!

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Finding bumpers from different manufactures that match in finish, let alone styles that harmonize, is challenging to say the least...After looking a many different options I decided what fit my needs best were a matched pair of Warn Elites. When I ordered my JLR, I opted for the Mopar hinge-gate reinforcement and since I plan on staying with 35's on factory wheels, I did not opt for the Warn rear bumper with tire carrier. (May or may not turn out to be a good decision) As for the damage to your bumpers-if you pay for new, first quality products then that is what you should get...you should be the first one to add a bit of 'trial rash' to them!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i had the same issue. went with two different complains from the front and rear got two different finishes. i disliked it at first but when it got a good layer of clay and a few bumps and bruises it doesn't show anymore But i will spray them both with rattle can bed liner. ill tell you that EAG and QRC paint is the same finish looking at your pictures

OP
OP

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man... Extreme Terrain was not nearly as easy to deal with. The return took about 30 minutes... with a good five minutes trying to sell me an aftermarket extended warranty. On a freaking BUMPER.

I really like that Barricade linked above. It doesn't look like it has a heavy texture like the DV8 and looks like more of a black powdercoat finish. The rep on the phone was clueless and just kept saying it had a couple powder coat so it was like the DV8. Does anyone have the Barricade that can comment on the finish?

Amrkrocks0685

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Check out Roam Offroad if you haven't yet. Front coating on your bumper looks to match their rear bumpers. They're also e-coated to help against rust.

20191018_204053.jpg
Sponsored