First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Just got the new steering box and I have all Steer Smarts up front (Drag link, Tie rod, Pro-series track bar, stabilizer) and I'm still getting a decent amount of bump steer (more than my old JK). I'm on a RK 2.5" adventure series lift and 37's. Is there anything other than a stabilizer that can help bump steer on the Jeep that only has a 2.5" lift? Seems to have gotten even worse with the new steering box. Could ball joints be the culprit?
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Just got the new steering box and I have all Steer Smarts up front (Drag link, Tie rod, Pro-series track bar, stabilizer) and I'm still getting a decent amount of bump steer (more than my old JK). I'm on a RK 2.5" adventure series lift and 37's. Is there anything other than a stabilizer that can help bump steer on the Jeep that only has a 2.5" lift? Seems to have gotten even worse with the new steering box. Could ball joints be the culprit?
It could very well be ball joints.
Some people have posted that their ball joints were under torqued from the factory.
It wouldn’t hurt to check them out.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Trackbar relocation bracket.

i went through almost the exact same stuff after my lift
-new steering box
-adjustable track bar
-Synergy drag link
-teraflex tie rod
-nexus 2.2 steering damper

Still had bump steer.

was going to try switching to high steer. I installed the Teraflex trackbar relocation bracket (for 2.5 - 3.5” lift). Went to convert the synergy drag link to the high side, and realized i did not have a big enough bit.

the positive, is that i didn’t need to do the drag link flip. The bracket got rid of all my bump steer.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Trackbar relocation bracket.

i went through almost the exact same stuff after my lift
-new steering box
-adjustable track bar
-Synergy drag link
-teraflex tie rod
-nexus 2.2 steering damper

Still had bump steer.

was going to try switching to high steer. I installed the Teraflex trackbar relocation bracket (for 2.5 - 3.5” lift). Went to convert the synergy drag link to the high side, and realized i did not have a big enough bit.

the positive, is that i didn’t need to do the drag link flip. The bracket got rid of all my bump steer.
Could I trouble you for a pic showing track bar and drag link, I would like to see how they look in relation with each other, if this made them more parallel, or less. If they’re not parallel, I don’t understand how it got rid of your bumpsteer unless your track bar isn’t adjusted long enough .
Thanks
Roky

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve got a bunch of stuff ordered (AEV 2.5” lift, track bars, wheels/tires) but nothing installed yet. I’ve been worried I will introduce bump steer and actually ordered that teraflex relocation bracket in addition to their adjustable track bar. I called teraflex yesterday and they said I didn’t need both the adj trackbar and the bracket... yet here you are. The stuff I keep reading says to prevent bump steer the trackbar and drag link need to be parallel. Are yours?

Jeep Wrangler JL BUMP Steer 265B6C63-05D3-47C6-A31D-F5904CE4FA4E

Based on what it looks like with such dissimilar mounting locations/pivot points I don’t understand how we don’t all have bump steer on a stock Jeep.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a bunch of stuff ordered (AEV 2.5” lift, track bars, wheels/tires) but nothing installed yet. I’ve been worried I will introduce bump steer and actually ordered that teraflex relocation bracket in addition to their adjustable track bar. I called teraflex yesterday and they said I didn’t need both the adj trackbar and the bracket... yet here you are. The stuff I keep reading says to prevent bump steer the trackbar and drag link need to be parallel. Are yours?

265B6C63-05D3-47C6-A31D-F5904CE4FA4E.jpeg

Based on what it looks like with such dissimilar mounting locations/pivot points I don’t understand how we don’t all have bump steer on a stock Jeep.
You don’t need both, the only time I’ll install a bracket is if the customer insist on using factory track bar (which I try and talk them out of) or if lifting over 3.5” and wants to do drag link flip.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I get mild bump steer (with a steering wheel shimmy for a second or two) with my nearly stock 2020 JLUR Recon when i hit a bump with just the right or left front tire and not both. Not bad, and not often. Also, my steering feels good so I have the original steering box. My only mods are 1.75” wheel spacers and Mopar longer LCA’s given the low rubicon caster from factory.

While it can be caused by lots of different things, If i recall correctly, wasn’t a symptom on the JK for a more compliant ride to run the CA relocation bracket instead of longer arms? It transferred less feedback to the driver based on the more parallel from control arms. While not ideal for off reading, I wonder if its something to consider for those of us with that symptom.

@BDinTX your AEV with come with control arm brackets instead of longer arms FYI (Which Im sure you know)

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Could I trouble you for a pic showing track bar and drag link, I would like to see how they look in relation with each other, if this made them more parallel, or less. If they’re not parallel, I don’t understand how it got rid of your bumpsteer unless your track bar isn’t adjusted long enough .
Thanks
Roky
Equally as confused. If i drop my drag link back down it would look like a Y between track and drag.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I get mild bump steer (with a steering wheel shimmy for a second or two)
Also, my steering feels good so I have the original steering box.
If you’re getting a steering shimmy for up to two seconds, that’s not a short amount of time and it shouldn’t be doing that.
A two second steering shimmy “feels good”?
You might need to look in to getting that new steering box or try to find out what’s wrong with your steering.
I have a 2021 with 3” lift and 37s. I have no shimmy or bump steer at all, before and after lift/tires.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
If you’re getting a steering shimmy for up to two seconds, that’s not a short amount of time and it shouldn’t be doing that.
A two second steering shimmy “feels good”?
You might need to look in to getting that new steering box or try to find out what’s wrong with your steering.
I have a 2021 with 3” lift and 37s. I have no shimmy or bump steer at all, before and after lift/tires.
Yea it seems a little excessive. No, the shimmy doesnt feel good, but from what I understand the steering box doesn’t address that. I thought it addressed the steering wander. My jeep doesn’t feel IIke it wanders or has dead spots in the steering. The shimmy I believe was supposed to be “addressed” with the stabalizer recall, which i believe they did on my Jeep before I took delivery. Although, many dealers didn’t properly prime it and led to failures. My Jeep has 4300 miles on it, and I didnt notice the bump steer until 2500 miles or so.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I get mild bump steer (with a steering wheel shimmy for a second or two) with my nearly stock 2020 JLUR Recon when i hit a bump with just the right or left front tire and not both. Not bad, and not often. Also, my steering feels good so I have the original steering box. My only mods are 1.75” wheel spacers and Mopar longer LCA’s given the low rubicon caster from factory.

While it can be caused by lots of different things, If i recall correctly, wasn’t a symptom on the JK for a more compliant ride to run the CA relocation bracket instead of longer arms? It transferred less feedback to the driver based on the more parallel from control arms. While not ideal for off reading, I wonder if its something to consider for those of us with that symptom.

@BDinTX your AEV with come with control arm brackets instead of longer arms FYI (Which Im sure you know)
Ah ok yep it does. thx

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Yea it seems a little excessive. No, the shimmy doesnt feel good, but from what I understand the steering box doesn’t address that. I thought it addressed the steering wander. My jeep doesn’t feel IIke it wanders or has dead spots in the steering. The shimmy I believe was supposed to be “addressed” with the stabalizer recall, which i believe they did on my Jeep before I took delivery. Although, many dealers didn’t properly prime it and led to failures. My Jeep has 4300 miles on it, and I didnt notice the bump steer until 2500 miles or so.
Gotcha. Maybe try taking a look at the ball joints. I have read on here that some are reporting under torqued and loose castle nuts from the factory. After replacing their entire steering they still had issues but tightening up the ball joints fixed it.
Warning, taking out the cotter pins is most likely going to be a PITA.

OP
OP
rayzjeep

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Yeah I've already went ahead and tightened the ball joints once because one was clicking so I figured it wasn't torqued to spec. I'm wondering if the joints are on their way out...although I did try to wiggle the wheel to see if I got any movement and I couldn't feel slop in the joint.

Probably going to be looking at getting the Dynatrac one's next time Northridge or someone runs a sale...what sucks is I don't really want to put them in myself and the shop is going to charge me $600 to install them.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Thanks
Roky
will try to see if I can get a picture later.

I can tell you measurements though.

Ground to center of the track bar mount (axle end) WAS 17"
Ground to center of the track bar with bracket (axle end) is 18"
Ground to Passenger Drag link is 18" (measuring the centerpoint of the drag link end)

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
will try to see if I can get a picture later.

I can tell you measurements though.

Ground to center of the track bar mount (axle end) WAS 17"
Ground to center of the track bar with bracket (axle end) is 18"
Ground to Passenger Drag link is 18" (measuring the centerpoint of the drag link end)
That is very interesting what brAcket do you have? Mine was rasied almost 3” with my flip.

*edit* answered my own question (teraflex) lol
Sponsored