Help with bump steer

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ever get it figured out? I have very very faint wiggle under the same conditions. 37"s Mopar lift and front and rear track bars.
not yet still playing with tire pressure, may buy a adjustable track bar as well
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
not yet still playing with tire pressure, may buy a adjustable track bar as well
What pressure at you at currently? Any findings you would share? I have a feeling it's pressure and balance more than anything. Ko2s apparently don't balance well.

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What pressure at you at currently? Any findings you would share? I have a feeling it's pressure and balance more than anything. Ko2s apparently don't balance well.

Currently re balanced all 5 tires to about 9 to 12 oz. Running cooper stt pro 37x12.50x17. I have set tire pressure at about 28-29 psi and the ride is much better, bump steer is limited to large recessed man hole covers but its not bad, just a jiggle in steering wheel but it stops after the bump. I am going to measure my front axel and make sure its centered as it does look a tad bit off so definitely getting an adjustable track bar.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Currently re balanced all 5 tires to about 9 to 12 oz. Running cooper stt pro 37x12.50x17. I have set tire pressure at about 28-29 psi and the ride is much better, bump steer is limited to large recessed man hole covers but its not bad, just a jiggle in steering wheel but it stops after the bump. I am going to measure my front axel and make sure its centered as it does look a tad bit off so definitely getting an adjustable track bar.
I amped mine up to 33psi cold and it's markedly better. I only have the sighted bit of feedback from the wheel at a bump at 55mph which I am hard pressed to even call a wobble. I'll order the fox stabilizer when that comes out this next month.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
How's it going? I still have that same exact wobble. Going to get a road force balance tomorrow... again.

Sponsored

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How's it going? I still have that same exact wobble. Going to get a road force balance tomorrow... again.
well im down to 27psi of all 4 and its a little better. I double checked everything in front end after lift so i have ordered an adjustable track bar and a fox steering damper hopefully this will resolve the issue. I just dont get how everybody says there jeep drives great after the mopar lift when I did everything to the letter and i get this bump steer garbage over pot holes and rail road tracks.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
well im down to 27psi of all 4 and its a little better. I double checked everything in front end after lift so i have ordered an adjustable track bar and a fox steering damper hopefully this will resolve the issue. I just dont get how everybody says there jeep drives great after the mopar lift when I did everything to the letter and i get this bump steer garbage over pot holes and rail road tracks.
First thing first, is it similar to this video? That's mine with all the items you said you just purchased. I keep going back to this being a wheel / tire balance issue for myself.

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
First thing first, is it similar to this video? That's mine with all the items you said you just purchased. I keep going back to this being a wheel / tire balance issue for myself.

no it drives fine but when i hit a pot hole or off set man hole cover the wheel will jerk up and down for a second it jest feels unstable for a second. I had all 5 tires rebalanced to about 8oz max.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
no it drives fine but when i hit a pot hole or off set man hole cover the wheel will jerk up and down for a second it jest feels unstable for a second. I had all 5 tires rebalanced to about 8oz max.
Interesting. Mines kind of the same way but with it being 52-58mph. And it doesn't always happen, most of the time it happens though, and it's only within that speed.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
So TLDR my problem was with defective tires to begin with. DTC is taking them back and swapping me into the SST PROs (from ko2s). However, I get that wiggle hitting bumps too and I think it's unrelated to my tires. I did read about people setting their caster to -3.5 having it help a little, but still not perfect.

Sponsored

RDT300

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the rough country steering stabilizer on and got more bump steer then with stock. Put the stock one back on after a week and way better. There has been some good reviews on the Fox stabilizer and Teraflex just came out with a $330 adjustable stabilizer.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I had the rough country steering stabilizer on and got more bump steer then with stock. Put the stock one back on after a week and way better. There has been some good reviews on the Fox stabilizer and Teraflex just came out with a $330 adjustable stabilizer.
THIS! I heard the same thing from another Jeeper.......................the rough country steering stabilizer made bump steer a little worse in their rig. I would recommend putting the stock one back on as well. It wouldn't hurt to change it out to see if it helps. As soon as the Fox adjustable one is available, I'm purchasing it. If I didn't have Fox shocks, I would purchase the TeraFlex/Falcon one. Also as soon as SteerSmarts makes their adjustable trackbars available, I'll be purchasing them as well. :jk:

OP
OP
DickZip

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
So my Jeep drives fine now, replaced the skyjacker black max shocks (which were shot after only 4 months) with rubiconexpress 2.5 shocks. Changed the RC SS (junk) with a King SS and changed the the factory track bar to a steersmart yeti. The skyjacker and RC parts are, in my opinion junk, I have the Rubiconexpress springs in the garage waiting to go on because the skyjacker rear right spring is sagging.
I neglected to mention, I also have EVO front LCA which went on with the original lift, they are excellent but overpriced.
Thanks to those that offered help

Last edited:

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Im fighting this battle now jeep was good then threw in the mopar lift then all hell broke loose so i did adjustable track bars front and rear tiny bit better my next though is lower control arms as ive been told the jl likes 6 degrees of caster my alignment sheet shows mine at 4.7. I have an fca case open they are on my third steering damper and have been told to be patient by 4 different jeep cares people i think they believe i am ghandi which i am not but if the new adjustable lca’s dont fix it im going to the steersmarts church and getting the drag link with the griffin attenuator and their tie rod. After that. If no luck. Trading it in

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So my Jeep drives fine now, replaced the skyjacker black max shocks (which were shot after only 4 months) with rubiconexpress 2.5 shocks. Changed the RC SS (junk) with a King SS and changed the the factory track bar to a steersmart yeti. The skyjacker and RC parts are, in my opinion junk, I have the Rubiconexpress springs in the garage waiting to go on because the skyjacker rear right spring is sagging.
Thanks to those that offered help
I've had bad luck with RC parts in the past as well. My King shocks on the truck have been great, but one is leaking after 75000 miles.

I think the track bar bushings in the stocker are too soft. Your move to the Yeti is where I'm headed.
Sponsored