Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20"

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm the original poster in the other forum about this issue and how I got lucky enough to bring the head unit back to life. Being well out of warranty I was fully prepared to replace the factory unit, so I was willing to take the risk of damaging it and in all honesty anything else that's on that CAN bus. Here's my original post.

I wouldn’t recommend what I did to troubleshoot and try to get this thing to come back to life, but I did want to share what finally worked. So that being said DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! In the end what I did was prepare a USB drive with the most recent update. Then I pulled the fuse (F97) that controls the head unit. Plugged in the USB stick and started the Jeep. With it running, I plugged the fuse back in (yes I know the risk I took in possibly letting the magic smoke out and frying all kinds of things). The head unit then tried to update, but this time it looked like it failed off the stick and not OTA. It rebooted back into a useable radio, said it failed the update with Error 20 and to contact my dealer. This error however was a pop up, clicked ok and my radio was working again on the original version.

2 hours later, the head unit again asked to install the update via OTA. I made sure I had a clear sky above me and let it attempt the update. 40 minutes later, update installed fine and i verified that the new version is now installed And everything is working fine.

It‘s easy for me to just chalk this up to “it’s a jeep thing”, but it’s not. This is a UConnect problem and they need to provide a way to disable updates OR own up to problems like this and make things right for those that have had to spend in some cases over a grand out of pocket to get it resolved. I got lucky… this time…
Notes to add, I never was able to get a functioning update USB stick. It would always fail saying the software was not compatible with vehicle. So I’m wondering if just the simple fact that by having it plugged in during the radio start up caused it to react just a little bit different when it’s on the white screen that says “An error has occured. Contact UConnect with the error code below. Your system will revert to its previous version.“ It was after this reboot that I got the Error 20 screen, but it wasn't an update screen, it was after the radio had booted into working firmware. Attached is the pic of that error message.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 577F410A-1B2F-4138-9F5F-161456728798

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'm the original poster in the other forum about this issue and how I got lucky enough to bring the head unit back to life. Being well out of warranty I was fully prepared to replace the factory unit, so I was willing to take the risk of damaging it and in all honesty anything else that's on that CAN bus. Here's my original post.

Notes to add, I never was able to get a functioning update USB stick. It would always fail saying the software was not compatible with vehicle. So I’m wondering if just the simple fact that by having it plugged in during the radio start up caused it to react just a little bit different when it’s on the white screen that says “An error has occured. Contact UConnect with the error code below. Your system will revert to its previous version.“ It was after this reboot that I got the Error 20 screen, but it wasn't an update screen, it was after the radio had booted into working firmware. Attached is the pic of that error message.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 577F410A-1B2F-4138-9F5F-161456728798
What part of that did you think would fry something? There is constant power to the screen. With the car running or not, the fuse is the only thing that cuts the power.

I tried the USB method. My USB stick does work, it does start the update process, it fails either way and after a pulling the fuse it goes to reverting to previous version, which also fails. I also tried it while the car was running. Same result.

It sounds like yours was able to revert while the others here are not.

Sponsored

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What part of that did you think would fry something? There is constant power to the screen. With the car running or not, the fuse is the only thing that cuts the power.

I tried the USB method. My USB stick does work, it does start the update process, it fails either way and after a pulling the fuse it goes to reverting to previous version, which also fails. I also tried it while the car was running. Same result.

It sounds like yours was able to revert while the others here are not.
Agreed, the unit has power to it unless you disconnect both batteries. In general it's never a good idea to just pull fuses on hot circuits, that's why I mentioned it. All kinds of little things can happen. Arcs, drop the fuse and it hits some other contact and shorts it out, stuff like that. Again, I wasn't terrified by that at all because I've worked automotive/avionic systems for years and in my brain pulling a fuse is no different than a manual switch if done right. Others may be terrified to be in a running engine compartment messing with fuses.

On the recovery itself, that's why I said I was lucky. I didn't expect it to work having read about other FCA vehicles having the same issue and trying various combinations of things to get it to work. All I know is that having the fuse out, plugging in the USB stick, starting the jeep, plugging in the fuse, letting it fail and waiting for it to reboot (took like 15-20m), it came up with the screen that I shared the pic of. Some how, some way it actually completed the recovery process back to the previous version.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Notes to add, I never was able to get a functioning update USB stick. It would always fail saying the software was not compatible with vehicle.
Can you please share where you got the update files from?

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks. It's just odd that some VINs works and others don't.
Wonder if it has something to do with the bulletin specifics:

MODELS:
2018 (JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: US.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before August 07, 2018 (MDH 0807XX) equipped with an Uconnect 8.4 navigation radio (Sales Codes UAQ).

Sponsored

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Can you post the full bulletin please
Looks like the link is dead now, as soon as I get to my desk I’ll upload the PDF.

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Attachments