Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you're picking it up from an out-of-state dealer, basically take back-roads for the first 60 miles, then easy on the freeway for the next 240 miles (stay in the right lane, no cruise control, etc) and then after that drive as you normally would.

If you're able to take back-roads (state hwys, etc) for the full first 300mi, even better.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I changed mine at 3,000 miles, because who knows how long was that old oil sitting at the dealer lot.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've wondered about that too, but not from an oil change perspective...

My dealer told me to change the oil at 3k, even though Jeep recommends something more than that (6k?). Since there was some hoopla many years ago about using synthetics too early in engines, I'm going to wait until 3k to change mine.
Wait...don't all JL engines run on synthetic oil and come from the factory with it anyway? Now I'm really confused.

Judy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ
It means what it says… before 300 mi, drive it like a normal person. La-di-da.
Before 60 mi, drive it around town, grocery getting, etc.
After 60 mi, highway drive it and pass folks here and there (ie step on it).
When you hit 300 miles, you’re done, drive it however you want.

if you drive it like a normal person would, youll be fine provided you dont tow and you dont take a long ass trip.
What would be considered a long ass trip?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Wait...don't all JL engines run on synthetic oil and come from the factory with it anyway? Now I'm really confused.
I don't know, do they?

I was always told to not run synthetic until at least 3k so that the engine can properly break in, because synthetic is too slippery and won't allow proper break-in. Maybe it's a myth, who knows.

Amsoil makes it sound like break-in oil is conventional oil though.

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-you-should-be-wary-about-using-break-in-oil-in-powersports-equipment/

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Don't know about all JL engines, but the ones that take 0w20 do :)

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What engine do you have? If the 3.6L, then it runs on synthetic.
I have the 3.6L. I know it normally runs on synthetic, but does it ship from the factory with synthetic? If so, I'm wondering if all this break-in for the engine is just talk and the engine was already broken in before it left the factory.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the 3.6L. I know it normally runs on synthetic, but does it ship from the factory with synthetic? If so, I'm wondering if all this break-in for the engine is just talk and the engine was already broken in before it left the factory.
Yes, @DanW relayed this in one of the many oil related threads, the Pentastar ships w/ 0w20 synthetic.

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
The 3.6 engine is in about a million different cars, trucks and jeeps...its a pretty reliable and dependable engine. Like what has been posted above, generally follow the instructions for the 1st few hundred miles and then...drive it normally. I probably drive it a little harder than most people and it has never had any issues.

I bought my JL in august of 2018. I have about 35k on it right now with no issues at all. I have consistently changed the oil out at 5k. its only had synthetic in it and it seems to run great.

You'll be fine. more or less follow the break in procedure and enjoy your jeep

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Im picking my wrangler up 230 miles from home, that is a nearly 4 hour drive on interstates. or 7 hours on back roads. Im going to stay on the back roads for 60 miles then get on the interstates. Stay close to the speed limit and in the right lane, and just let everyone in. Absolutely everyone will be let in and once in awhile ill floor it to get back to the speed limit. Probably keep it at about the same speed and just every few minutes downshift a gear or 2 for a bit to vary rpm.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Im picking my wrangler up 230 miles from home, that is a nearly 4 hour drive on interstates. or 7 hours on back roads. Im going to stay on the back roads for 60 miles then get on the interstates. Stay close to the speed limit and in the right lane, and just let everyone in. Absolutely everyone will be let in and once in awhile ill floor it to get back to the speed limit. Probably keep it at about the same speed and just every few minutes downshift a gear or 2 for a bit to vary rpm.
You'll be fine, just don't use cruise control for the first 500 miles, and no need to down shift every couple minutes, just give it a bit of gas now and then, the AT is pretty quick to shift.
Enjoy that new ride!
Sponsored