Break in period

Sj ruby

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon
My 2020 jlu rubicon is only 2 weeks old and I was wondering how many miles to break in the motor before taking it off road. Probably a stupid question just hoping for some insight thanks
Sponsored

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No right or wrong answer. As long as you don't rev it too hard under 1-2k miles.

OP
OP
Sj ruby

Sj ruby

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon
Thanks guys for the advice this is my second Jeep . The first one didnā€™t see off road very much but Iā€™m definitely going to be taking this one on the trails. Since Iā€™m new to off roading Iā€™m gonna try jumping in with a group or doing a guided trail

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The owner's manual has specific criteria for the break-in period.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
This is straight from the owners manual.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
My Jeep has about 27,000 miles on it, I bought it new in ā€˜18 and I only followed the break-in for the 1st hundred miles or so and it runs good.

so hard to take it easy in a new ride!

stetson

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
The manual for Australia Jeep is 1000KM, <4000RPM.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
On a similar note, not to hijack or anything, but any harm in tossing on a cat-back exhaust during that break in period? Just curious. Thanks!

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is straight from the owners manual.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable
Yep, just read your owners manual...

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
How do folks buy a Wrangler out-of-state and drive it home? Side roads? LOL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
On a similar note, not to hijack or anything, but any harm in tossing on a cat-back exhaust during that break in period? Just curious. Thanks!
The stance I have on doing mods such as lifts, engine related mods and such mods is to wait til after the vehicle has a few thousand miles on it. Take delivery of the vehicle and live with it / drive it for a month or so and say a thousand or so miles.... then wade in and do mods..

Like with anything.... assure you have a very good foundation, first... a non problematic foundation and then proceed to build on it.

Example.... Guy/gal takes delivery on a brand new JL. Picks it up new at the dealer on Thursday night and drives it home and to work the next day.... drives say a half hour and 22 miles in town at 35mph. On Sunday he throws a lift and new wheels/tires on it. On Monday, he heads to work, takes the interstate and finds the frigging JL is wandering all over the place...

Dealer is gonna cry foul if you ask for help to remedy...

Owner is clueless, if the JL had an issue prior to the lift/wheels/tires as he did not drive it much before frucking with it..

Anyway, best to take the time to assess whether your JL is aok in it's stock form. Even with a cat back exhaust you could be placing something into the mix that.............

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I popped in Amsoil break oil in at the dealer during prep, started it up, got oil up to temp then did some brief full throttle from 3rd thru 5th gears to seat the rings, you got about 25 miles to do this. I take every new car I get, immediately on back road do about 1/2 dozen good pulls from 25mph to about 70 mph and lift, this will seat the rings better and they instruct you to do this. from 15 Grand Cherokee and 17 SRT owners manuals per break in.

At about 300 miles dump the oil.

Do as you wish, but if you want a tight engine that doesnt burn oil, do this, note the brief full throttle constitutes good break in comments right from the manual.

This is why I always order cars now, so I can do this procedure. Dont want one with 20 or more miles on it and loose the opportunity. With the low tension rings there are a lot of oil burners out there because the rings didnt seat.

Anyhow this is what I do, YRMV

Mototune USA has good explanation

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS

ā€¢ A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission

and axle) in your vehicle.

ā€¢ Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles

(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

ā€¢ While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws

contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be

detrimental and should be avoided.
Sponsored