Sponsored

Break Down - Service Electronic Throttle Control and Stability Control

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
So I get this error ONLY with the doors off. I got my JLUR in April of 2018. The 2nd summer every time I started my Jeep without doors I would get the "Service Electronic Throttle" error. Only for a split second. The dealer could never see the code and basically said it can't be fixed.

This year (my 3rd summer) it has only flashed twice with doors off, and at random times. However I do get the "Vehicle not in park" message every 5 minutes with my doors off.
Sponsored

JeepJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Does your car ever go into limp mode? That happened to mine when I got the error. Couldn't rev the engine above 1500-2000rpm. That was the scariest part. Yesterday I pushed all the fuses down and then the next time I started the car, the check engine light went off, so it's no longer showing that there was any issue. So now it's working fine and I'm sure when I take it in the dealer is going to say there are no issues. Not sure what to do now.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update...ended up being a bad ā€œECS Vacuum Hoseā€. It took the dealership a while to get the replacement hose kit but all seems well with the Jeep.
Does anyone have the part # for the vac hose(s) in question?

I continue to get ESC and ESS lights only after prolonged climbs at altitude (10k+) and as soon as I start down the other side.

My theory is that the engine is warm, possibly causing any hose in the engine bay to loosen/soften, and something about a high altitude slog combined w a sudden descent throws off vac readings.

I, thankfully, do not get any THROTTLE errors and thus no limp mode. It's actually NEVER affected driveability but it kinda makes me nervous

olb123

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Does your car ever go into limp mode? That happened to mine when I got the error. Couldn't rev the engine above 1500-2000rpm. That was the scariest part. Yesterday I pushed all the fuses down and then the next time I started the car, the check engine light went off, so it's no longer showing that there was any issue. So now it's working fine and I'm sure when I take it in the dealer is going to say there are no issues. Not sure what to do now.
have you figured anything out on this?

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Another one bites the dust
JLUR 2.0T 38k miles
Service electronic throttle body
CEL p012d
Lost turbo and power

I clear the code with my tazer jl. Problem fixed for the last 24hrs.... fingers crossed will remain this way. I think I might sell this Jeep.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Another one bites the dust
JLUR 2.0T 38k miles
Service electronic throttle body
CEL p012d
Lost turbo and power

I clear the code with my tazer jl. Problem fixed for the last 24hrs.... fingers crossed will remain this way. I think I might sell this Jeep.
We're sincerely sorry to learn that you had this experience with your Jeep! If this concern returns, please send us a private message so that we can add a layer of support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited 2.0
My 2020 Wrangler with 10k miles started doing this off and on a few weeks ago. It's dangerous. Seems like it started maybe after taking doors off once and putting them back on. Not sure but it also seems like when I top off the tank this happens. Not sure if either have anything to do with it. Might just be coincidences.

Edited to say... Here's the pattern. If I start the Jeep and drive for any amount of time straight through I don't have any problem. It could be 20miles or 200 miles it doesn't matter. But If I drive for a while and stop and shut the Jeep off, then go to restart it, the "service electronic throttle body" light comes on and the Jeep runs like crap, stalls etc. If the stop I'm making takes a long time (like driving to a restraunt and staying for an hour) it seems like either the Jeep cools off, or something resets itself and the Jeep will start and run fine. It's the short stops that make this happen.

Last edited:

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Hydro Blue Willys 4dr
My 2020 Wrangler with 10k miles started doing this off and on a few weeks ago. It's dangerous. Seems like it started maybe after taking doors off once and putting them back on. Not sure but it also seems like when I top off the tank this happens. Not sure if either have anything to do with it. Might just be coincidences.
Hey there, I would not hesitate to take this in and get a service trail started on it. Also, check out your state's lemon laws. We have had ours at the dealership for 3 months now trying to get this taken care of. Long story short, our less than one year old Wrangler with under 4k miles is a lemon. It's so sad! we love that thing and still plan to get another one. It's like an addiction.
Good luck!

jabtyler

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlur
I got the service throttle warning while driving from Denver to copper mountain. I felt no loss of power or anything, just sudden warnings. When I got home I was pulling up my driveway slowly and felt the engine drop rpm and I had to push the pedal harder to get to the garage. Next day no warnings or issues. I have to drive to California next week so itā€™s going to be a stressful drive.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Edited to say... Here's the pattern. If I start the Jeep and drive for any amount of time straight through I don't have any problem. It could be 20miles or 200 miles it doesn't matter. But If I drive for a while and stop and shut the Jeep off, then go to restart it, the "service electronic throttle body" light comes on and the Jeep runs like crap, stalls etc. If the stop I'm making takes a long time (like driving to a restraunt and staying for an hour) it seems like either the Jeep cools off, or something resets itself and the Jeep will start and run fine. It's the short stops that make this happen.
It started for me when the doors came off too. It only comes on when the doors are off, and I can';t recreate the problem. Even under warranty the dealer wouldn't do anything about it. Said no codes and if I can't recreate it they can't fix.

Sponsored

Smoke Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WILLYS 3.0 EcoDiesel
2021 Wrangler EcoDiesel - Electronic Throttle Control and Traction Control lights come on and Jeep goes into Limp Modeā€¦ This has happened to me 4 times since the end October. While on our way to JeepJam at Myrtle Beach. It went into limp mode and ruined our trip. It happened again on our way to a youth football tournament in Tennessee. I spoke with the service center over the phone and they said it was ok to drive back to North Carolina in limp mode. Itā€™s happened again right before Christmas and the dealership was booked out through the end of the year so we had to cancel our wheeling plans for New Years. And then on Wednesday afternoon it happened again, and of course this weekend is the Thin Blue Line Jeep Ride we were planning to attend. Iā€™ve been to the dealer each time. They spend the whole day working on it ā€œto clean a sensorā€ and they bring it back to me. Supposedly the replacement sensor has arrived (they ordered it the first time) but our dealership doesnā€™t have enough diesel tech to get to it until next Friday. We have been without our beloved Jeep more than in it these last few months. And 4 ruined/or canceled trips as a result. If this sensor doesnā€™t solve the problem I guess we will start looking for a lemon law lawyer. Never had this kind of issue with a Jeep product before. But then again this is my first Diesel Jeep. Next time I purchase a new Jeep it will be the tried and true 3.6. Which is a shame because without 35ā€ tires I get 26-28 mpg and with 35s I get 18-20 mpg witch is way better than all of our Jeep pals that we ride with with similar set ups.

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
2021 Wrangler EcoDiesel - Electronic Throttle Control and Traction Control lights come on and Jeep goes into Limp Modeā€¦ This has happened to me 4 times since the end October. While on our way to JeepJam at Myrtle Beach. It went into limp mode and ruined our trip. It happened again on our way to a youth football tournament in Tennessee. I spoke with the service center over the phone and they said it was ok to drive back to North Carolina in limp mode. Itā€™s happened again right before Christmas and the dealership was booked out through the end of the year so we had to cancel our wheeling plans for New Years. And then on Wednesday afternoon it happened again, and of course this weekend is the Thin Blue Line Jeep Ride we were planning to attend. Iā€™ve been to the dealer each time. They spend the whole day working on it ā€œto clean a sensorā€ and they bring it back to me. Supposedly the replacement sensor has arrived (they ordered it the first time) but our dealership doesnā€™t have enough diesel tech to get to it until next Friday. We have been without our beloved Jeep more than in it these last few months. And 4 ruined/or canceled trips as a result. If this sensor doesnā€™t solve the problem I guess we will start looking for a lemon law lawyer. Never had this kind of issue with a Jeep product before. But then again this is my first Diesel Jeep. Next time I purchase a new Jeep it will be the tried and true 3.6. Which is a shame because without 35ā€ tires I get 26-28 mpg and with 35s I get 18-20 mpg witch is way better than all of our Jeep pals that we ride with with similar set ups.
Going through same scenario now. Diesel 21. With 29 k miles.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi there. If you plan to bring your concerns to the attention of a dealership and need support, let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Smoke Hound

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WILLYS 3.0 EcoDiesel
Now we have a new code to add
So I'm having an issue that I would like to share with the group to see if anyone has had the same and may have feedback on what to do. So last week Thursday I was driving down the road at about 55 mph. All of a sudden I lost engine power and even with the pedal all the way to the floor the engine would only make 1,500 RPM. I pulled over to the side of the road and the engine was shuddering and idling roughly. I called Chrysler Mopar roadside assistance who ordered a tow truck for me. After waiting an hour in the sweltering heat I called the tow company and they were still two hours out. Rush hour had died down by then so I nursed it home and found that I could get it up to 45 with a lot of runway but acceleration was minimal. Anyway, I set up an appointment to have it towed to Capitol CDJR of Indian Trail the next morning. Tow truck arrived on time and we headed over. I called the dealership on the way over but nobody would answer the phone even though they were open. Had the tow truck driver drop me there and walked into the service drive. I was informed by the service advisor that they wouldn't be able to look at the jeep for two days and didn't have any loaners. I responded that this was unacceptable due to the fact that this was obviously a warranty issue. They responded I could contact Chrysler direct and "maybe" they would reimburse me for a rental. So I called the next closest dealership which happened to be Keffer who immediately said no problem and that they would get me a rental if they didn't have a loaner available. After another two hour tow truck wait I was able to drop it with Keffer. After five days of working on it they deduced a hose to the ECS had come loose. I was relieved to hear that maybe this was a simple fix. I picked the Jeep up yesterday and 8 miles down the road it broke down on the side of the highway with the same issue. Keffer was good enough to meet me with the same loaner vehicle and take responsibility for towing it back to the dealership. I spoke with the advisor a minute ago and he said the hose blew off again and that their tech thinks its a defective ECS hose and is ordering a new one. I'm a little concerned that this may not be the true issue. Anyone have the same problem and if so what was the fix?
upload_2019-6-5_16-14-9.jpg

upload_2019-6-5_16-14-20.jpg
Been dealing with the same issue since late October ā€˜22. Been to the shop more times than I can count. And all they can doe isclear codes. At one point the replaced a sensor that was getting ā€œsooted upā€. But told me it was ā€œOKā€ to drive in limp mode, although it will probably get you killed on the roads around here. #superspeedway

CodeRed

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 chevy pick up 4x4, '09 997.1 turbo MT coupe
It just happened with my 2023 yesterday with 9K miles. Turned it off and when pressing the ignition switch to try to restart/reset it a few times it would rev super high. I then cycled it several times and now it is fine, but I was planning on doing a summer road trip but have lost confidence it to be safe. Wlll see if any fuses are loose this morning. Any more info on this? Now it sucks having a car you cant trust
Sponsored