Sponsored

Brake failure

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I was giving the OP the benefit of doubt until they posted the update. Not buying any of it.

This thread is just a Troll imo
Sponsored

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For what it’s worth, I’ve been fighting an ESC code for 2 months. Engineer finally figured out the pump wasn’t pulling enough vacuum due to a restriction in the pump side hose. This was causing the pump to run constantly and never turn off, overheat, and throw a code. Never felt a difference in brake performance. They swapped the hose with another Jeep and it’s beem fine - sending my hose off to engineering for analysis. But the pump never failed.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
For what it’s worth, I’ve been fighting an ESC code for 2 months. Engineer finally figured out the pump wasn’t pulling enough vacuum due to a restriction in the pump side hose. This was causing the pump to run constantly and never turn off, overheat, and throw a code. Never felt a difference in brake performance. They swapped the hose with another Jeep and it’s beem fine - sending my hose off to engineering for analysis. But the pump never failed.
What pump are you referring to?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I was giving the OP the benefit of doubt until they posted the update. Not buying any of it.

This thread is just a Troll imo
Yeah, the OP's little angel screwed up and probably got a ticket, and since the OP and little angel are fully liable for any property damage and injuries caused by the little angel, OP's insurance premium will increase or the policy might be canceled.

There are many reasons why auto insurance is so high for teens and young adults. This is one of those reasons.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I hope the insurance risk managers aren’t reading this forum. With all the problems with the JL, premiums will go through the roof! :)

Steering wheels locking up
Wandering steering
Loose ball joints
Brake Failure
Defective cruise control
48v batteries catching fire
Defective frame welds
Back up cameras not working
Leaking roofs
Dripping rear washer

All things that could contribute to an accident or damage.

Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I hope the insurance risk managers aren’t reading this forum. With all the problems with the JL, premiums will go through the roof! :)

Wandering steering
Loose ball joints
Brake Failure
Defective cruise control
Defective frame welds
Leaking roofs
Dripping rear washer

I hope the insurance risk managers aren’t listening to Trolls

Nordy

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Blue
I will say we appear to have the vacuum pump gone out (ESC light and auto start stop light) after 3900 miles and the wife said when it first came on the brakes were acting weird. The error occurred when she was backing out of the parking spot at work. Said it was really squishy and not braking right/firmly. I wouldn't say there was a total loss of braking but braking power was compromised. We both are design engineers at a vehicle manufacturing company and I can confidently say I trust her opinion. But she also said it only happened once then it seems to be braking fine now. I have driven it since and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't gone and disected what is the root cause of the issue. Might pull some lines and kink them and see if we can actually recreate the issue. If I see I can recreate something to a safety issue/true loss of braking I will be sure to elevate this to some collueges who work at FCA. Currently waiting 2 weeks for the dealership to take a look.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
I hope the insurance risk managers aren’t listening to Trolls
Damm trolls posting pictures of track bars that weren't welded correctly and coming off while going down the road.

AlinMaine

First Name
AL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have the same issue; going back next Friday for another try. Last visit a valve cover vacumn line was found to be disconnected. It has helped but still throw a code after a 15-20 minute high speed drive, then sit at idle/park for a few minutes, tap the brake and throws a code.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Damm trolls posting pictures of track bars that weren't welded correctly and coming off while going down the road.
I know right.. some of us bring the weld issues and trackbar issues to the attention of the forum and are flammed by trolls. Now a tsb comes out and not a peep from the trolls. Guess what...some of us are getting 2019s now.

Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel (Sting Gray)
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
I just turned my new JLUR into the service department this morning to have the brakes checked out:

Symptom: When engaging the brake, I could hear an audible "hissing" type noise while the brake peddle was pushed in as well as for a short time after releasing the pedal to its neutral (up) position. The sound would eventually stop after releasing the pedal, but happen again once pressed. I did not notice any issues with the Jeep's ability to brake, but definitely something worth getting fixed ASAP as I am unwilling to find out what would happen if I just waited to see if the issue would get worst or some how resolve itself.

Some google research led me down the path of the Brake Boost Vacuum Pump being the most likely culprit. About 90 minutes after dropping the Jeep off I received call stating they were going to replace the pump (pretty fast), sadly the part will not be in until tomorrow. I do not really have an opinion on the OP's comments as I do not know if what they described is possible or not, but I have a new JLUR and am having issues with the Brake Boost Vacuum Pump. This does not mean there is a systemic issue with the new JL's vacuum pumps, but from my perspective it is not unheard of to have these fail. Cheers.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Is FCA denying the brake booster repair under warranty also since they claim it was due to the accident? Did you ask FCA if it has a black box and did they access the data? Ask for the data. I think FCA is full of it on this one if your facts are correct. I'd get NHTSA involved.
All cars with airbags have a "black box" and data including date, time, speed, breaking, location, weight of occupants, road conditions, etc are all stored and accessible and with GPS, it also includes what the vehicle actually did vs the inputs.

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport

Wandering steering
Loose ball joints
Brake Failure
Defective cruise control
Defective frame welds
Leaking roofs
Dripping rear washer

Don’t forget track bars shearing off..

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
A "panic stop" (necessitated when some a-hole in front of you stops inexplicably) can cause the Jeep to slew a bit - perhaps that's what the kid experienced. But the brakes should still work even with a vacuum booster failure. Brakes are a mechanical system operated by hydraulic pressure, with dual circuits, and a pedal more or less directly coupled to the master cylinder. I don't see a failure mode that would cause complete loss of braking power.
Sponsored