Pattic

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl
UPDATE VACCUM BOOSTER FAILED

I bought my JL about a month ago and multiple issues have started. First started the traction stability electronic light came on. Then the auto start stop when you press the brake light came on and stopped working but that isn't the worst thing. As a parent you purchase cars so that they are reliable for your child to drive. Well July 13th my son was driving my car and the brakes didnt work. He pressed the brakes pedal down and the brakes didnt engage. He said it felt like he was slipping on ice. Keep in mind it was a dry summer day. Pavement was dry. The trickle affect caused him to rearend someone. Not only is this heart breaking to spend so much money on a car but for being brand new and the brakes not to engage. I have reached out to Chrysler legal department. They said the investigation can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. Which is absolutely insane to not have my jeep that I am making payments on. No brand new vehicle should have these kind of issues. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Full brake failure is pretty rare and this is the first I've ever heard of it in a JL. This will be very difficult to recreate I am sure. Were you there when it happened? Was anybody else in the Jeep? Age of the son?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I bought my JL about a month ago and multiple issues have started. First started the traction stability electronic light came on. Then the auto start stop when you press the brake light came on and stopped working but that isn't the worst thing. As a parent you purchase cars so that they are reliable for your child to drive. Well July 13th my son was driving my car and the brakes didnt work. He pressed the brakes pedal down and the brakes didnt engage. He said it felt like he was slipping on ice. Keep in mind it was a dry summer day. Pavement was dry. The trickle affect caused him to rearend someone. Not only is this heart breaking to spend so much money on a car but for being brand new and the brakes not to engage. I have reached out to Chrysler legal department. They said the investigation can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. Which is absolutely insane to not have my jeep that I am making payments on. No brand new vehicle should have these kind of issues. Has anyone else had this issue?
Why would it feel like he was slipping if the brakes didnt engage, sounds like he activated the ABS.

Sponsored

Jordan_USAF

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
I agree with @Jeepsk8, I haven't heard of any brake issues with the JL. What else did Chrysler say about the investigation? "Slipping on ice" seems like a weird way to describe total brake failure but I'm interested to see how this turns out. Sorry your new JL is in the shop, but glad your son is alright!

OP
OP

Pattic

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl
[I[/INFO]
I agree with @Jeepsk8, I haven't heard of any brake issues with the JL. What else did Chrysler say about the investigation? "Slipping on ice" seems like a weird way to describe total brake failure but I'm interested to see how this turns out. Sorry your new JL is in the shop, but glad your son is alright!
Chrysler is super busy with investigations they are not able to look at the jeep until the 31st of this month.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I sincerely hope they find the cause of this issue. Please be sure to keep us updated.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
[I[/INFO]

Chrysler is super busy with investigations they are not able to look at the jeep until the 31st of this month.
A complete brake failure on a brand new Jeep sounds extremely serious. It’s odd that they don’t have an engineer on this immediately, and can’t even look at it until the end of the month. Very odd. Are you sure that they really belief that the brakes simply failed completely out of the blue causing the crash? Do YOU believe that’s what happened? In my work I’ve investigated a number of crashes. Some where drivers claimed that they braked and the brakes completely failed for no reason. I’m still waiting for one where that was actually the case.

Human error is the root cause of well over 80% of road vehicle crashes. I’m not investigating this crash, but if I were that’s where I’d start. I don’t know you or your son and I won’t call him a liar. But I will tell you that I don’t believe the facts as you’ve stated them. Not at all. If your claim is brake failure that caused this, FCA will have a crash reconstructionist on this. They will pull ECU data to examine braking, steering, acceleration, and every other factor you can imagine. Let us know what they discover.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Young kid, distracted driving, ABS activated....I’m glad they are fine, but I think you’ll find the brake failure thing to be untrue, sure it’s easy to cast blame with the other issues you have had and it also lets the kiddo off the hook.. but, I think it’ll end up just being an accident...like I said, I’m happy they are ok, I’m not bashing, just coming from an area of experience

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah, not buying this one. ABS kinda feels like brake failure. The JL has it's problems, but total brake failure aint one of them.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I grew up doing dumb shit in cars. I wrecked my first slamming it into the side of a mountain, sat in two others while friends did the same (same road, in fact), and know of countless others among us "car kids" who did similar things. Every single time excessive speed was involved, and every single time somebody ended up running their car into something as a result of not slowing down in time. And every single time we claimed the brakes didn't work as expected. Maybe some of us were in denial, maybe some of us were flat-out lying to avoid getting in trouble. But, in honest hindsight: all of us were wrong; the brakes worked fine in all of those cars, we just were too young and inexperienced to fully grasp the non-Mario-Kart physics of the real world.

I'm not saying it's impossible that your kid's situation was different. Nor am I outright defending the Jeep (if you read my other posts here, I'm very objective and quite critical of the rig's flaws). But, despite any shortcomings with the car or the brand (of which there are a few big ones), I'd be willing to bet a buck or two that the brakes were working just fine.
Sponsored