Parking Brake Failure

JL4Jax

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Has anyone ever experienced emergency hand brake failure in a manual JL while the vehicle was in neutral resulting with the vehicle moving out of control?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Has anyone ever experienced emergency hand brake failure in a manual JL while the vehicle was in neutral resulting with the vehicle moving out of control?
How many miles? Have you adjusted shoes?

OP
OP
JL4Jax

JL4Jax

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Around 14k miles and no

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
My bracket came loose when I installed my lift. I identified the issue after hooking the cables back up, luckily. Have you checked under the center counsel to see if everything is seated correctly?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I know I'm splitting hairs, but it's actually a "parking brake". But to answer your question - no.

How many miles? Have you adjusted shoes?
Theoretically, properly used and adjusted parking brake shoes will never wear out. There's just not enough friction with a stationary vehicle. Of course if you drive with the parking brake applied, all bets are off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL4Jax

JL4Jax

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My bracket came loose when I installed my lift. I identified the issue after hooking the cables back up, luckily. Have you checked under the center counsel to see if everything is seated correctly?
I have not, but thanks for the suggestion

OP
OP
JL4Jax

JL4Jax

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I know I'm splitting hairs, but it's actually a "parking brake". But to answer your question - no.

Theoretically, properly used and adjusted parking brake shoes will never wear out. There's just not enough friction with a stationary vehicle. Of course if you drive with the parking brake applied, all bets are off.
The parking break shoes have been inspected and show no signs of wear

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I agree, which is why I asked mileage. I had to adjust mine at 40k because they weren’t holding well, anymore.

OP, it’s a very simple procedure that anybody can do.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired

True, but the cables will stretch with time.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Thanks to whoever posted that adjustment video by loosening the back of the center console. I heard a large pop and then lost all tension in the parking brake handle two weeks ago. Kind of need a functioning parking brake in a MT vehicle.
The good news: I opened up the back of the center console and saw that the right side cable had popped out of the "t" housing. Loosened the nut, re-seated the cable, and tightened the nut. Parking brake back to normal. Time of job, approx 1 hour (because for some reason the video forgets to tell you that there are two screws at the top of the console inside under the flip-lid that also need to be removed...was fiddling with that rear vent cover for a while trying to figure out why it wouldn't come off).
The bad news: It popped out again yesterday. So now I guess I have to do it again.
Do you guys think I just didn't tighten it enough? Or has anyone else had multiple failures...like do I need to replace that nut that goes over the long screw that the socket tightens? Time stamp 4 minutes 9 seconds on that guys YouTube video
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored