Big price increases??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
Maybe I'm being naïve but the whole idea of raising prices on already ordered cars with deposits is ridiculous! What other business runs this way? You order an expensive steak off the menu and when the bill comes it's more because of a price change? You order an iPhone that's backordered and when it comes in they pass on an extra $100 simply because of some chip issue in China?

They are perfectly within their rights to raise prices as conditions change but you draw a line in the sand and say everything ordered after this date is subject to it, everything before is not. Full disclosure to dealers and customers. When you spend days negotiating detailed pricing with options and incentives, place a deposit and wait months and are then told the price you agreed upon is getting thrown out and the whole deal needs to be renegotiated - that's nuts.

I ordered at the beginning of April and will refuse to pay an extra $2,000+ if that's what it ends up being - on principal alone.
Sponsored

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
We negotiated a price on a 4xe order about a month ago. Gave the dealer $1000, but they couldn’t actually place the order because FCA had halted new orders coming in. We were put on a wait list. Got a call a couple days ago that they could place the order now, but they wanted to talk to us first because the base price went up. We still got the same discount % and affiliate discounts, so that was good, but the out-the-door price still went up a little over $2k.

I get that prices have to go up at some point due to the component shortages and such. Its just frustrating when we were on “hold” for a few weeks only for them to raise the price.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I wanted to wait for '22 because of potentially having Uconnect5 but for me I didn't think Gecko would be around that long and I would've been mad had I waited and didn't get Uconnect5 and didn't get my color.
Totally fair :) you’ll love your new Jeep.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I ordered a Rubi 4XE 3/19 and just got the cryptostickers email with my sticker. The sticker price went up $1,810 because of the base price increase. My dealer assured me over a month ago that I was price protected. That being said, I am still surprised to see that the window sticker reflects current pricing and not the pricing when the order was placed and accepted.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I ordered a Rubi 4XE 3/19 and just got the cryptostickers email with my sticker. The sticker price went up $1,810 because of the base price increase. My dealer assured me over a month ago that I was price protected. That being said, I am still surprised to see that the window sticker reflects current pricing and not the pricing when the order was placed and accepted.
Happened to me, albeit with Rubicon and 'only' a $500 increase. My dealer was really great and stuck with original agreed upon price. Someone who works in the biz can set me straight but my understanding is that Jeep/FCA/Stellantis bills the dealer at time of shipping and the pricing at that time is what they pay. Not the pricing that was in place at the time the order was submitted.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I work at a intergraded steel plant that produces steel for pretty much every sector, and the prices for plate and coil are at crazy highs. Been here for 13 years and we haven’t seen prices like this in a long time
Trickle down effect, we charge more to make steel, auto companies charge more to make vehicles
When world oil prices increase, we pay more at the gas pump. When world oil prices decrease, we pay less at the gas pump.

Do you expect the cost of Jeeps to decrease when world steel prices decrease?

I am expecting the yearly price increases to continue until some real competition enters the market.

sbco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sky One Touch
Has anyone verified beyond the 4XE if the $2,000 base price increase is across all new Jeeps?

The same dealer Prestige Jeep/Dodge in CO told me all new orders after 5/1 had a $2,000 increase for all models.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Has anyone verified beyond the 4XE if the $2,000 base price increase is across all new Jeeps?

The same dealer Prestige Jeep/Dodge in CO told me all new orders after 5/1 had a $2,000 increase for all models.
I hope not, my order went in yesterday and BX status today

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
So this is the contract I signed with my dealer when I placed a deposit and ordered my jeep. No where does it say they can alter the price, in fact it even states that this represents a fully enforceable contract of sale. The only provisions it lists are Tax/Title and reappraisal of my trade in. I'm not saying it is rock solid, but nowhere did I sign or agree to anything other than what is provided here.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Screenshot_20210506-120052~2.png

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
So this is the contract I signed with my dealer when I placed a deposit and ordered my jeep. No where does it say they can alter the price, in fact it even states that this represents a fully enforceable contract of sale. The only provisions it lists are Tax/Title and reappraisal of my trade in. I'm not saying it is rock solid, but nowhere did I sign or agree to anything other than what is provided here.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Screenshot_20210506-120052~2.png
If your purchase contract is unsigned then it is not valid and the price can be increased per the bold print on the bottom. I see no signatures. /s/

Seriously though. The questions of raising prices post order is generally one of contractual arrangement between buyer and dealer. If the dealer wants to sign a contract promising the price then they are free to do so. The adherence to that price is enforceable. I think it is safe to say that not all dealers sign purchase contracts with promised price.

In any case, I believe that the dealer gets billed by Jeep/FCA for the vehicle at time of shipment under the price structure in place at time of shipment. They are not billed at the price that was in place at the time the order was placed.

To anyone who knows authoritatively how dealer/Jeep billing works, I would welcome correction on this last point.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
If your purchase contract is unsigned then it is not valid and the price can be increased per the bold print on the bottom. I see no signatures. /s/

Seriously though. The questions of raising prices post order is generally one of contractual arrangement between buyer and dealer. If the dealer wants to sign a contract promising the price then they are free to do so. The adherence to that price is enforceable. I think it is safe to say that not all dealers sign purchase contracts with promised price.

In any case, I believe that the dealer gets billed by Jeep/FCA for the vehicle at time of shipment under the price structure in place at time of shipment. They are not billed at the price that was in place at the time the order was placed.

To anyone who knows authoritatively how dealer/Jeep billing works, I would welcome correction on this last point.
This was just the digital version they emailed me prior to me placing my deposit.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My dealer assured me again yesterday that they will be honoring the price protected price, despite the MRSP base price increase in my 4xe.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think there’s going be any major design changes because that would just be too soon, however, I do believe we will see uConnect 5. FCA/Stellantis made a statement a few months ago that said all 2022 vehicles will come with uConnect 5.

The reason this is important to me is I would like a 360° camera and I really like the map improvements. This might not mean anything other people but if I’m going to keep a car for seven years, it is important to me.

There are also rumors that there may be more factory options available since the bronco has quite a bit available directly from Ford but nothing is confirmed.
2023 would be about the right time for a mid cycle refresh. uConnect5 looks very promising. I may be looking to do a retrofit when it becomes available..

Unrelated to that, my brother just purchased a new 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Sticker was $56K and he got it for $48K. The dealer told him prices were about to go up $5000. I don’t buy that but it does again show there is upward pressure on prices. Just look at commodity prices. Everything is getting bid up.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I bought my JT Gladiator at 17% off of MSRP last week. I don't know if cost increases are Wrangler specific. I bought a leftover 19' VW Jetta under 20% MSRP last year and now I don't see any of them being discounted.

I think I got really lucky on my Gladiator.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.