First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport unlimited
This company has designed a bumper for specific flat tow for the JK
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5009.htm
I just put that on my 2018 JL with a Smitty Built winch. Easy to install, got the tow adaptors for a Roadmaster tow bar, really solid and structurally sound. Looks good too. Yea it was priced a little high but it works exactly as advertised.
Sponsored

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Going to set up a two door Sport with plastic bumpers for towing once its delivered. Leaning to the Currie base plate. Any experience with use/install of this product? Aware of the Cooltec system but would prefer completely separate lights. Thinking either led trailer lights or using a tailgate light bar. Still searching for products but has anyone tried a similar method?

zshowket

First Name
Ziyad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler & 2008 Rubicon 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I just completed setting up my rig to be flat towed. I used the cooltec harness and then wired it with a 4 way flat connector since this is how my other jeep is setup to flat tow. I also installed Maximus-3 tow loops to connect the tow bar. I am using the Mopar steel bumper, I am not a fan of most of the aftermarket bumpers so this is why I went this way. I can confirm on the 2019's all of the color call-out wires in the Cooltec instructions are spot on. Photos show tow bar connection and how I wired the Cooltec to the 4way; the connector now rests behind the winch.

20190330_155758.jpg

20190330_182741.jpg

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
I don’t know what is best. I installed a Rock Hard Patriot aluminum bumper on my JLR. It’s light weight, has tow bar options, winch mounts low, has some frontal protection for the grill and fenders and I kept my fog lights. Not real thrilled about the price but it seems made well and in America. Already logged 1,600+ tow miles.
About the only unresolved issue is where to relocate a 7 pin plug. I hole sawed into the diagonal wing on drivers side and installed the receiver plug. While on 1st trip towing during a rain storm the plug filled with water and set off a slew of dash lights on my tow vehicle. Once I dried out the connection and sealed it with silicone, all was fine. I ran around E.J.S. Moab with the orange umbilical cord connected. I’ve yet to relocate the plug.
JL Rock Hard bumper.jpg

JL tow bar.jpg

Tiger towing Wrangler.jpg

Blue Ox tow bar and braking system. Cool Tech flat tow wiring kit. Everything worked fine on 1st trip except for the wet plug issue.

Nice setup!
Where did the water get in?
When you wired up the plug did you fill the cone connector wiring area with silicone grease?

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Thanks, the two vehicles are working out just fine with this tow system.
I still need to look into the water matter more closely. I’m not really sure having the plugs verticule will make the difference.The water intrusion was between the male and female connections. Two different brands both quality but just not made for each other. Both connectors had cable side sealed, so I know how the water got in. The two aren’t sealing when plugged together.
Do you have the "door" up or down". Should be up.
I would try a shot of silicone spray in the female terminals. See if this precludes moisture intrusion. Perhaps a couple wraps of electrical tape would help form a seal?

Sponsored

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will be flat towing for the first time in 2 weeks. I got the motorhome out of storage and will start getting ready this week. I will be using my LOD bumper with blue ox adapters. I also order LOD new Bracket safety just to be extra safe. I hope they arrive before my first trip.
Tow package
2016 Jayco 30ft class c Motorhome
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon with mopar lift and 35 inch tires
LOD flat tow ready Bumper
Blue Ox 6000lbs tow bar.
Blue ox Patriot brake system
Cool tech light harness
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Got my Currie Enterprises plate install so figured I would post a picture. I welded on a mount plate for the six wire so it would be straight verses mounting it flush. The brake away is mounted with a bolt and spacer sleeve off an existing hole.

Currie Close.jpg

Texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
In the spirit of possibly motivating a company (person) that creates a good product to LISTEN to their customers, I'll chime in here as well.

Fact:
1. The @CoolTech harness is a really good product and, while there are no others on the market, I'd buy it again.
2. The @CoolTech instructions ARE written poorly!
3. Don't expect @CoolTech to answer the phone while you have your Jeep apart (during normal business hours) - instead they will email you this response:

Please let me know your question(s). We’ve tried to make the instructions as explicit as possible.

Best,
Kendall

4. Generally when one person complain about an issue with a company there are 10 others that don't but are still just as upset.

Kendall, it should behove you to listen to your audience if you ever want to turn your hobby into a full time job/career. Sorry to be so blunt but you might want to wake up and LISTEN to what people are saying. Sure, the instructions may seem logical TO YOU because you know the harness inside and out but the people doing the install for the first time may be a bit confused especially with the instructions on the "addendum". BTW, had I known when to read that part first, I probably would not have broken my gray loom cover. Seriously, how can you say you have explicit instructions when you have an addendum that you just throw in the box??

In summary, you can sit here and defend your "well written instructions" till you're blue in the face but if you don't address this I can guarantee that the first company that comes out with another one (with BETTER instructions) will kill your business. You seem like a smart guy given your technical knowledge but your defensiveness and lack of listening to your customers is not good for your future revenue. Who knows, maybe you don't even care (thats kinda what it feels like)

With all that said, Kendall, you should really thank us for spending our valuable time giving you input into something that could literally make or break your business (for this product at least). If you don't care about it, then do nothing. If you do, then consider employing the help of someone else that can CLEARLY write the instructions. (or create a video)

Im sure this email will frustrate you, as it would me if I were in your shoes. The frustration you feel may be similar to how WE (your customers) felt/feel when doing the install.

AGAIN, let me emphasize 2 points here: The Cooltech harness DOES EXACTLY WHAT ITS INTENDED, however the instructions have a LOT of room for improvement!

I was hesitant to buy the CoolTech based on comments in this thread, but conveniently enough found a newly posted installation video on YouTube. I haven’t watched it yet, but will probably order the harness and install in the next few weeks.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The installation difficulty of the Cool Tech harness is directly related to the skills, past history & experience of the installer. We now have hundreds of these kits installed on JL's throughout the US and Canada. There are some owners who believe that with "proper" instructions, they should be able to do anything - regardless of their experience and aptitude. This is NOT true.

We are excited to have the video referenced above now available. Like the instructions, we would encourage JL owners to review it completely with the objective of determining if you want to install the harness yourself - or if you should have a professional do it.

The written instructions have also continued to evolve based on feedback and evolutions of the kit that have made installation easier. We are now on Version 6 which we have referred to as V6 - itself creating a problem when someone asked if the harness would work on the 4 cylinder too.

To be clear, the kit works on all Wrangler JL models 2-door, 4-door, all trim levels, all engines, and all option combinations (including LED lights and proximity sensors).

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I was hesitant to buy the CoolTech based on comments in this thread, but conveniently enough found a newly posted installation video on YouTube. I haven’t watched it yet, but will probably order the harness and install in the next few weeks.

Cool Tech Rocks! and I was one of the first with their tow harness for the JL wrangler in April 2018. simple install. take you time.

EA783B79-0491-4FB9-BFDC-993B66F61BBF.jpeg

BA7B8E6C-C91D-4C6A-8553-49782403A6AD.jpeg

FFDACCFD-CC8C-4756-83B9-CEE7D7C3DD45.jpeg

Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@cmcclintock any issues towing your JLRU with your Class C?

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
An alternative power source for electric-powered braking devices for the Toad (such as with RVi's)...Not long ago FCA stopped equipping their trucks (which I tow all the time) with non-switched 12 VDC "cigarette lighter" receptacles, choosing to have them only work with the key on. So rather than run a hot wire from the motorhome all the way into the cab, and rather than install the RVi power source I purchased but got too lazy to install, I just put a "BoosterPac" 12V Jump Starter in the cab and plug the braking device into it. It will power the braking device for days without recharging, and then I just charge it in the coach at overnight.
And an added benefit - seems like now and then a fellow RV'er needs an external jump, and I have it!
Just a thought...
Sponsored