Sponsored

Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
These pins are tractor pins - the diameter is perfect (no slop) and I just drilled a hole in the end to put a lock on so they can't easily be pulled...
Found at a local hardware store.
20200626_140705.jpg
If anyone needs replacement pins, McMaster-Carr has great replacements. Carbon steel clevis pin, 7/8" diameter, 2-3/16" usable length, 3/16" cotter pin diameter @ $4.77 each.

https://www.mcmaster.com/98306A243/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
2020 JLRU Diesel with steel Rockhard bumper, AFO Braking system, Blue Ox lighting and avail tow bar setup. Thanks to @Ron_H ! I gave photos of his setup to the shop that did the install. Going good so far. Looking for the group's input on:
1) Replacing the cheap black caps (not shown) for the air fittings that come with the AFO. I would love to have a reliable cover. Read elsewhere that hydraulic dust covers can do a nice job, but there are so many, wondering what folks have done here.
2) Haven't towed but 150 miles, but I see the powder coat wearing down on the tow bar bracket from RockHard. I imagine this is the price of playing the game, but was interested what others are experiencing?
D92006DE-602A-41F9-9F0F-534457D27692.jpeg
3FD6B27C-0B71-4F77-B1C6-AF2AA26DD57D.jpeg
81490C46-4B8A-4DF1-95A2-13559E3CB966.jpeg
I see you have an airline for an AirForceOne aux brake system. I too have that brake system and I'd be interested to hear about any replacement you find for the black plastic quick-connector cap.
Mine is almost 7 years old now and it has cracked so it's likely just not going to be there sometime soon. I could fashion one out of a plugged hose but it would be nice to find something a little more finished.

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
I see you have an airline for an AirForceOne aux brake system. I too have that brake system and I'd be interested to hear about any replacement you find for the black plastic quick-connector cap.
Mine is almost 7 years old now and it has cracked so it's likely just not going to be there sometime soon. I could fashion one out of a plugged hose but it would be nice to find something a little more finished.
I haven’t done any work on finding something - aside from googling ‘hydraulic dust cover’ and looking at the pages of hits! Know the size and take your pick of something. I recall reading that such parts can be found at a hydraulic service/parts store. Thanks all I got! Haha

SandK

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB E350
We ordered a Sahara and will be flat towing it. My first choice for a baseplate is rockjock.

The rockjock attaches to bumper plate and the bottom of the vertical frame horn (pictures). It appears that a substantial amount of the push/pull load will be transferred through the bottom of the frame horn. In my experience (old experience), the horizontal frame member is often much stronger than any attachments such as the vertical frame horn. My one concern is related to the fatigue over time aspect of the setup, but I am not overly concerned.

Can anyone comment on the thickness/sturdiness of the frame horn with respect attaching a baseplate?

I thought about attaching a metal strap from the baseplate to the horizontal frame, which might be overkill (picture).

Can anyone with a JL rockjock baseplate comment on his/her experience?

I know I should wait for the Jeep to arrive, but we plan to hit the road soon after the jeep is delivered and want to order the baseplate and accessories now.

Thanks,
Ken

CurrieBaseplate1.jpg

CurrieBaseplate2.PNG

Currie_Strap.PNG

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
We ordered a Sahara and will be flat towing it. My first choice for a baseplate is rockjock.

The rockjock attaches to bumper plate and the bottom of the vertical frame horn (pictures). It appears that a substantial amount of the push/pull load will be transferred through the bottom of the frame horn. In my experience (old experience), the horizontal frame member is often much stronger than any attachments such as the vertical frame horn. My one concern is related to the fatigue over time aspect of the setup, but I am not overly concerned.

Can anyone comment on the thickness/sturdiness of the frame horn with respect attaching a baseplate?

I thought about attaching a metal strap from the baseplate to the horizontal frame, which might be overkill (picture).

I know I should wait for the Jeep to arrive, but we plan to hit the road soon after the jeep is delivered and want to order the baseplate and accessories now.

Thanks,
Ken

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow Currie_Strap.PNG

I wonder what it looks like from the front? Does it sit below the bumper and thus is exposed to getting bashed on rocks if/when you hit the trail?

Sponsored

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Have one and so far have not had any issues with the system. In addition to the frame horns it is sandwiched by the four towhook/bumper attachment bolts on each side. That plate it very ridged. If you feel the need to reinforce those flanges, lod does make a reinforcement plate.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...ont-accessories/jl-frame-tie-in-brackets.html

Do not know if there is any conflict using the two together.

Pin locations on mine are 16.5 inches above the road, 23.25 inches centerline of the two tabs. I did not use the attachments that came with the plate as my existing Blue Ox tabs attached directly to them just fine.

Only issue I have is where I mounted the 7 pin it forces me to take a knee to visualize insertion.

I used the Hopkins Plug and Play light system which it appears Blue Ox now sells.

SandK

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB E350
I wonder what it looks like from the front? Does it sit below the bumper and thus is exposed to getting bashed on rocks if/when you hit the trail?
Jim,
We are closer to mall crawlers than rock crawlers. So the clearance and approach issues are not too much of a concern.

Thanks,
Ken

Sponsored

SandK

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB E350
Have one and so far have not had any issues with the system. In addition to the frame horns it is sandwiched by the four towhook/bumper attachment bolts on each side. That plate it very ridged. If you feel the need to reinforce those flanges, lod does make a reinforcement plate.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...ont-accessories/jl-frame-tie-in-brackets.html

Do not know if there is any conflict using the two together.

Pin locations on mine are 16.5 inches above the road, 23.25 inches centerline of the two tabs. I did not use the attachments that came with the plate as my existing Blue Ox tabs attached directly to them just fine.

Only issue I have is where I mounted the 7 pin it forces me to take a knee to visualize insertion.

I used the Hopkins Plug and Play light system which it appears Blue Ox now sells.
Nutmeg,

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I will consider the LOD brackets.

Thanks,
Ken

Mikehbar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 jlu Rubicon Recon
I called Maximus-3 directly and ordered the JL Tow Loops over the phone. The guys there are super helpful. $199. I wanted black but they were out and only had one set of red in stock. I ordered the red and I actually glad I got the red after installing with the other red accent pieces on the front bumper.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired

Thanks,
Ken

CurrieBaseplate1.jpg

CurrieBaseplate2.PNG

Currie_Strap.PNG
Just installed last week. I had a Rockjock on my JK and it worked great. It's a lot easier to install on the JL. You do need to remove the bumper but that's not really a big deal, just a lot of nuts to take off. The towplate attaches to the back of the bumper first with two existing bolts in the bumper then it's put back against the frame. 8 bolts hold the towplate to the frame of the JL with the 4 additional bolts on the lower part of the horns. I think all they really do is keep the bottom of the towplate from torquing forward under tension. The steel plate part of the towplate is really thick, (I didn't measure it but I'll guesstimate 3/16 or 1/4" thick) and that by itself gives a lot of lateral support. Rockjock builds suspension components for off road use, they built the towplate to the same standard. One of the things I didn't like about the Maximus loops is that there's nothing in between the frame horns like on the Rockjock so I'd be worried about lateral forces causing a problem without adding some type of crosspiece to stiffen the whole thing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow jos

Last edited:

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow IMG_8220

Look at my post above replying to Ken, it's a head on photo. The attachment points sit flush with the front of the bumper. Here's an angled photo - terrible photo but you'll get the idea.
Sponsored