MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Let it be said there is no one answer that fits everybody and all conditions, but I'm probably preaching to the choir. I see many folks using the tow light option - I'm just too OCD for it! There are other reasonable options along with strong opinions for towing gear on this forum, all good intentions I believe. As with any mod, we all choose for ourselves after digesting waaaaaaay too much information, then diving in! I started from scratch on this same topic and have many forum users to thank.

Yes, I run stock 33's and it's about 19" from level ground to centerline of the upper / forward tow loop hole. I had to add a 4" drop receiver on my class C (WBGO View) to get them to align within specs. I also used locking hitch pins with matching keys for the receiver mount to ward off casual knuckleheads that might want to ruin my trip.
Thanks, Al... your research is well share with us coming behind you knowledge. I'm lucky to tow my JLR 2 or 3 times a year at max and mostly locally or going to the shop for service. It is good to be OCD and my last hookup with my TJ it was wired in. Used it 4 times in 4 years.

Thanks again for your comments.
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
image.jpeg
Certainly no problems with the RVi3 towing our 18JL Wrangler behind a Winnebago Class C Mercedes Benz TD Sprinter.
Our Mountains have been limited to the Smokies and Cumberlands thus far.
Thanks for the confirmation... Did you install a braking system....?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
towing before lift.jpeg
The OD on my JLR reads 8,731. I am currently in St. George, Ut. attending Winter 4x4 Jamboree. I now have more flat towing miles on my JLR than driving miles. To and from home flat towing will be just under 1,000. Today was 42 miles total driving in the JLR with next couple days having similar miles. BlueOx,Cooltech and RockHard works just fine IMHO.
https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/products/Alpha_2_Motor_Home_Mounted_Tow_Bar,BX7380
https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/products/Patriot_3_Braking_System,BRK2019
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90248.htm
https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/107-jl-tow-harness-kit.html
I have my bumper loaded with accessories
Hi-Lift Jack mounted.jpeg

Last edited:

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Let it be said there is no one answer that fits everybody and all conditions, but I'm probably preaching to the choir. I see many folks using the tow light option - I'm just too OCD for it! There are other reasonable options along with strong opinions for towing gear on this forum, all good intentions I believe. As with any mod, we all choose for ourselves after digesting waaaaaaay too much information, then diving in! I started from scratch on this same topic and have many forum users to thank.

Yes, I run stock 33's and it's about 19" from level ground to centerline of the upper / forward tow loop hole. I had to add a 4" drop receiver on my class C (WBGO View) to get them to align within specs. I also used locking hitch pins with matching keys for the receiver mount to ward off casual knuckleheads that might want to ruin my trip.
LOCKING HITCH PINS is a great suggestion for anyone towing any vehicle. Not only are there people who look to steal towed vehicles, but more likely are disenchanted truck drivers who hate RV'ers that have been known to pull pins in rest stops and truck stops out of spite - and I'm sure there's a few simply mean-spirited people who do the same. I still walk do a walkaround after stopping to check everything before getting out on the highway, but having locking pins means I don't have to worry about that.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Thanks for the confirmation... Did you install a braking system....?
RVi3 Braking System. When I purchase the JL no one had any experience with the Stay N Play and it was beyond what I wanted to take on. It's also transportable.
We tow about 50% of the time and so far the RVi has worked well. The dash mounted tablet displays how much braking force is being applied so it's definitely not an all or nothing, indeed there is proportionality going on. The test feature allows testing of the system up to 30 MPH by pushing the test button on the tablet which fully activates the brakes which provides a level of certainty things are working properly.
The tablet has to be plugged in all the time as the battery life is limited, a downside, but not a big deal as the brake system is not dependent on the tablet or transmitter. No, It is not a flip of the switch, but now that I have become proficient it's up and running in under 3 minutes. Very small box so it's easy to store.

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
RVi3 Braking System. When I purchase the JL no one had any experience with the Stay N Play and it was beyond what I wanted to take on. It's also transportable.
We tow about 50% of the time and so far the RVi has worked well. The dash mounted tablet displays how much braking force is being applied so it's definitely not an all or nothing, indeed there is proportionality going on. The test feature allows testing of the system up to 30 MPH by pushing the test button on the tablet which fully activates the brakes which provides a level of certainty things are working properly.
The tablet has to be plugged in all the time as the battery life is limited, a downside, but not a big deal as the brake system is not dependent on the tablet or transmitter. No, It is not a flip of the switch, but now that I have become proficient it's up and running in under 3 minutes. Very small box so it's easy to store.
Hypalon Man is one of several very helpful folks on these forums that posted valuable information that helped me get things worked out. I have the same RVi unit and have the same observations about it's use. Everybody has different needs, but the unit works well for us.

bluse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I just finished setting up my 2019 Jeep JL to be towed behind a diesel pusher. I used the Maximus -3 Tow Loops, M & G 2.0 brake air system with break away. I wanted to conceal everything possible and this is what I came up with.

GVX5pahPRySCtDJMvgT01Q.jpg

EMDNffdNRB+Mc6fdlHZOyQ.jpg

IcCw0GlkTEq4rddFC2dWbA.jpg

9Q%39lXWRi+MOFFdKM%j0w.jpg

9I%YqiUfStqlilgpsvmn8A.jpg

wfXlKBU2RPq0lSK4ndz3nQ.jpg

k0gPzctuQ8SmK0Rk+4bsWA.jpg

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
You Win!!!

That is amazing, great job.

I just finished setting up my 2019 Jeep JL to be towed behind a diesel pusher. I used the Maximus -3 Tow Loops, M & G 2.0 brake air system with break away. I wanted to conceal everything possible and this is what I came up with.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I just finished setting up my 2019 Jeep JL to be towed behind a diesel pusher. I used the Maximus -3 Tow Loops, M & G 2.0 brake air system with break away. I wanted to conceal everything possible and this is what I came up with
Looks good. I like the stealth behind the license plate mounting. Similar to what I did but we don't need a front plate.

20200119_144253.jpg

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara

GVX5pahPRySCtDJMvgT01Q.jpg

EMDNffdNRB+Mc6fdlHZOyQ.jpg

IcCw0GlkTEq4rddFC2dWbA.jpg

9Q%39lXWRi+MOFFdKM%j0w.jpg

9I%YqiUfStqlilgpsvmn8A.jpg

wfXlKBU2RPq0lSK4ndz3nQ.jpg

Silly question, do you take off the license for towing and then re install for driving? Also after reading this forum it seemed like you needed a different bumper if you were going to tow off the tow loops, looking for education please

Sponsored

bluse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Silly question, do you take off the license for towing and then re install for driving? Also after reading this forum it seemed like you needed a different bumper if you were going to tow off the tow loops, looking for education please
The Maximus-3 tow loops are rated to tow from, you are not connecting to the stock bumper. The Maximus-3 tow loops are connected to the frame. And yes the license plate is removed to tow.

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-tow-loops#/

sab3864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
For anyone that has installed the Maximus-3 tow loops:

When installing the tow loops, what amount of torque did you use on the M10 (upper) & M12 (lower) bolts supplied in the kit that go to the chassis frame?

I had found documentation from jeep that the factory bolts that attach to the bumper studs were to be torqued to 67 ft-lbs

I inquired with Maximus-3 about the other bolts and they said the M10 was 75 ft-lbs and M12 was 85 ft-lbs

The factory bolts were no problem. The M10 bolt sheared off on me. So I stopped there.

I'm using a hand held Husky torque wrench, not any sort of electric/air impact with torque sockets. I haven't had any problem with anything else I have used the torque wrench on.

sab3864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
For anyone that has installed the Maximus-3 tow loops:

When installing the tow loops, what amount of torque did you use on the M10 (upper) & M12 (lower) bolts supplied in the kit that go to the chassis frame?

I had found documentation from jeep that the factory bolts that attach to the bumper studs were to be torqued to 67 ft-lbs

I inquired with Maximus-3 about the other bolts and they said the M10 was 75 ft-lbs and M12 was 85 ft-lbs

The factory bolts were no problem. The M10 bolt sheared off on me. So I stopped there.

I'm using a hand held Husky torque wrench, not any sort of electric/air impact with torque sockets. I haven't had any problem with anything else I have used the torque wrench on.
I forgot to mention these are class 8.8 bolts. I did buy some 10.9 to replace it since that is what home depot had.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)

Rangerhughes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2020 Mercedes AMG 45, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Dodge PW: 2017 Indian Chieftain
Just finished the maximum 3 tow loops install about three hours from start to finish.
I was teetering between the rock hard aluminum bumper and the Maximus 3, the Rockhard stubby bumper the way I want it set up with run me about $1,000, the only part that was holding back was winch placement, I don't like all that cool that being blocked on hot NM day.
Maximus 3 setup on the stock steel Rubi bumper allows for the winch to be recessed inside and provides a clear the air channel for the radiator. JMO

This is a straightforward install are they going to have to do ia use a c-clamp to hold the brackets in place when you put the spacer washer between the bumper bracket and the new maximus-3 to loop bracket.
IMG_20200208_091314.jpg
IMG_20200208_145703.jpg
IMG_20200208_145717.jpg
IMG_20200208_145711.jpg
Sponsored