First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am doing a regrear on my 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon. I'm going to 5.13 Danas & want to swap the differential covers out as well. What is the best for a mall crawler? I'm not needing rock guard protection, but better capacity & good heat dissipation would be great. I have a 2.5" Accutune lift with SteerSmarts steering components, as well as their rear track bar, so will I have any clearance issues with aftermarket differential covers? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhyUMad

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Motobilt, cant beat it for 100 bucks and paint it yourself
I was considering them, but they're about 3 weeks out from being built & then shipping on top of that. I won't see them for a while. I may just reuse the stockers for now, order Motobilt & then do the differential cover swap when I get them in to swap out the diff oil too after a few hundred miles have been driven on the new gears.

I have Motobilt bumpers. QUALITY stuff. Love them. Had them linexed & never looked back. I was just worried about their increased capacity & clearance with the SteerSmarts stuff in the front.

Also, those are steel. Wouldn't aluminum be better for heat dissipation? It's not an offroad vehicle really, it's for my GF. Is the diff temperature difference between aluminum & steel diff covers a noticeable difference?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Never noticed an issue, nor with any of the track bars ive had, ive had 4 different company track bars all clear just fine. And the little bit of extra oil is nice for a bit of extra oil. My rear ones been on for almost the whole 50k miles on my jeep and its been hit plenty of times and on and off at least 4 times and never had any issues

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
With the steersmart steering you have to be a little more cautious with with diff cover you go with due to the reduced clearance. I know the arb sticks out quite a bit. We run the motobiLt and it gets really close to the cover but it barely clears. Metalcloak released some nice ones too but I haven’t checked it against the steersmart stuff yet

brett

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I was considering them, but they're about 3 weeks out from being built & then shipping on top of that. I won't see them for a while. I may just reuse the stockers for now, order Motobilt & then do the differential cover swap when I get them in to swap out the diff oil too after a few hundred miles have been driven on the new gears.

I have Motobilt bumpers. QUALITY stuff. Love them. Had them linexed & never looked back. I was just worried about their increased capacity & clearance with the SteerSmarts stuff in the front.

Also, those are steel. Wouldn't aluminum be better for heat dissipation? It's not an offroad vehicle really, it's for my GF. Is the diff temperature difference between aluminum & steel diff covers a noticeable difference?
My Motobilt diff covers are showing up tomorrow and I ordered them Nov. 4th. The turnaround may not be as long as initially stated? They might be taking an underpromise and over deliver approach. Message me and I can link you up the vendor I ordered from (he only uses FB).

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you aren’t going to be on the trails i wouldn’t bother with covers. They add weight and can interfere with other aftermarket parts.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
With the steersmart steering you have to be a little more cautious with with diff cover you go with due to the reduced clearance. I know the arb sticks out quite a bit. We run the motobiLt and it gets really close to the cover but it barely clears. Metalcloak released some nice ones too but I haven’t checked it against the steersmart stuff yet

brett
I hope it works.

My MetalCloak covers are sitting on the shelf ready for when I get regeared.

OP
OP
WhyUMad

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If you aren’t going to be on the trails i wouldn’t bother with covers. They add weight and can interfere with other aftermarket parts.
The regear is happening next week & I’m opting to not swap them. I may leave then for now, but I’ll probably have money burning a hole in my pocket & end up buying new diff covers eventually. I’m leaning towards Motobilt currently & they said to send pictures of the clearance with stock currently to verify that theirs will fit.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Those speed bumps at Southpoint Mall and in Carrboro though... :CWL:

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I've been looking at the Next Venture ones. and their skids as well. they look beefy.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Any clearance issues? Got them on order.
No contact with my Metalcloak track bar or 2.5" RPM tie rod. The skids will need some patience and a well weighted adjustment tool to get the yoke protection bolts aligned. Awesome products though!!
Sponsored