Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
yep, I am a function vs. looks guy myself. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

I do use these. I'm a big fan of Dana parts on Dana housings, but I don't buy diff covers for looks. I buy them for their ability to take a hit, but also to make the housing more rigid. Under load, the housing will deflect causing the gears to not mesh completely. This deflection, for people that wheel hard, is something to keep in mind as the stock cover isn't designed to do anything except seal the housing cavity. Most aftermarket covers are made thick for this reason more than the ability to take the hits. Anyway, I do like the look of the Dana cover, but looks wasn't part of my decision making process. @mgroeger and @OMTBiker are running these covers, as well. @conFUcius and @UNC Rubicon run the Motobilt covers. You can't really go wrong with either.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I do use these. I'm a big fan of Dana parts on Dana housings, but I don't buy diff covers for looks. I buy them for their ability to take a hit, but also to make the housing more rigid. Under load, the housing will deflect causing the gears to not mesh completely. This deflection, for people that wheel hard, is something to keep in mind as the stock cover isn't designed to do anything except seal the housing cavity. Most aftermarket covers are made thick for this reason more than the ability to take the hits. Anyway, I do like the look of the Dana cover, but looks wasn't part of my decision making process. @mgroeger and @OMTBiker are running these covers, as well. @conFUcius and @UNC Rubicon run the Motobilt covers. You can't really go wrong with either.
I like the covers a lot but you should know something about running diff skids with them. On the rear I am running the Metal Cloak golden diaper and the fins of the diff cover do make contact with the diaper. This has not caused ANY problems. You can see the skid rubbed into the cover a little bit until they were both happy living together. So don't freak out if you see this, it has no bearing as the Jeep has had the snot wheeled out of it with this setup for many thousands of miles.
I am running the Rancho skid up front and if you choose to run that skid with this cover you will need to run to the hardware store and buy a long piece of threaded steel. Basically a 12" or so screw with no head on it, the reason is the one Rancho gives you barely fits the diff with a stock cover and when you have the Dana cover on it winds up being just a tick to short. Simply bend the piece of threaded steel you bought into the correct U shape and use it instead. It's very straight forward and the Rancho skid and Dana cover play nice together.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I actually have the Rancho front glide plate and the metalcloak rear diff skid currently which I was planning on getting rid of and replacing with these covers. Do you think running the skids additionally is necessary?

I like the covers a lot but you should know something about running diff skids with them. On the rear I am running the Metal Cloak golden diaper and the fins of the diff cover do make contact with the diaper. This has not caused ANY problems. You can see the skid rubbed into the cover a little bit until they were both happy living together. So don't freak out if you see this, it has no bearing as the Jeep has had the snot wheeled out of it with this setup for many thousands of miles.
I am running the Rancho skid up front and if you choose to run that skid with this cover you will need to run to the hardware store and buy a long piece of threaded steel. Basically a 12" or so screw with no head on it, the reason is the one Rancho gives you barely fits the diff with a stock cover and when you have the Dana cover on it winds up being just a tick to short. Simply bend the piece of threaded steel you bought into the correct U shape and use it instead. It's very straight forward and the Rancho skid and Dana cover play nice together.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have the Rancho front glide plate and the metalcloak rear diff skid currently which I was planning on getting rid of and replacing with these covers. Do you think running the skids additionally is necessary?
YES.
I would not get rid of your diff skids.

Front - The drain plug is exposed on the bottom of the axle and prone to damage which can make for a very bad day. Feel free to read up on my experience with this happening to us on the rear axle before we upgraded to the D44 axles. The Rancho skid protects that plug as well as the front lower portion of the diff cover.
Rear - The diaper does a great job of protecting the FRONT side of the diff and allows you to slide over things.

These covers are meaty and can take a hit but the reality is you don't want stuff hitting them if you can avoid that. The covers you and I have to a great job of OVERALL diff protection... i.e. not just protecting the cover. NOTE: the cover does nothing to protect the rest of the diff.

Both of our Jeeps run the Rancho up front and MC in the rear and both skids have taken a beating and been worth every penny because they kept that beating off of the diff and the diff cover.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
YES.
I would not get rid of your diff skids.

Front - The drain plug is exposed on the bottom of the axle and prone to damage which can make for a very bad day. Feel free to read up on my experience with this happening to us on the rear axle before we upgraded to the D44 axles. The Rancho skid protects that plug as well as the front lower portion of the diff cover.
Rear - The diaper does a great job of protecting the FRONT side of the diff and allows you to slide over things.

These covers are meaty and can take a hit but the reality is you don't want stuff hitting them if you can avoid that. The covers you and I have to a great job of OVERALL diff protection... i.e. not just protecting the cover. NOTE: the cover does nothing to protect the rest of the diff.

Both of our Jeeps run the Rancho up front and MC in the rear and both skids have taken a beating and been worth every penny because they kept that beating off of the diff and the diff cover.
I’m actually planning on throwing mine on today once I get over my fear of screwing it up, haha. Doing the Rancho up-front and MC in the rear.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The rear plugs, like is common on Toyotas, can be welded. With my Ox setup and the required cover that’s part of the mechanism, I don’t have another option.

For the front, I’m going with a welded cover rather than the RC or Rancho skid considering the mild to moderate trails we take at the speeds we take them. It’s only a M186 anyway so a later excuse to upgrade.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m actually planning on throwing mine on today once I get over my fear of screwing it up, haha. Doing the Rancho up-front and MC in the rear.
If you screw up installing those don't ever talk to me again.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So what are you guys running right now? I’m between the Motobilt ones and ARB.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
So what are you guys running right now? I’m between the Motobilt ones and ARB.
I’m running Motobilt on the front and back. No clearance issues with Steer Smarts track bars and will be (still haven’t installed them, haha) compatible with Rancho front diff skid plate and MC rear diff skid.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running Motobilt on the front and back. No clearance issues with Steer Smarts track bars and will be (still haven’t installed them, haha) compatible with Rancho front diff skid plate and MC rear diff skid.
How’d you go about painting them? Powder coat?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
How’d you go about painting them? Powder coat?
No - kept the machined look and they were clear coated. Shawn (@chevymitchell) can provide more details as he actually did it when doing my re-gear.
Sponsored