roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Possibly for life. 20+ years at least..
Wow, a man with a plan. A 20 year plan. I couldn't get past the end of the year. I'm old, so that's part of it, but I never was a long view guy.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Neither …. Electrical and/or failed technologies will brick most modern cars before the engines are shot. I would consider 150,000 miles a good outcome with either engine.
This is probably true... plus progressive regulation that will outlaw combustion.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How many miles?
I have the 2.0 and I don’t plan on having it past 100,000 and I’m not worried about it going out before then. I had two 2014 3.6 wranglers that both had head issues that resulted in bad repairs by the dealer that ended up causing more damage. Also the heads failed outside of the 100k warranty so I had to ask Jeep to pay for the repairs (they covered part of it because it was a known issue with the heads).
I don’t have worries about making repairs on the 2.0 because it seems like most parts will be cheap. The turbo is only like $400 for example.
The transmission should last a very long time, but I think they are fairly expensive.
I think each engine has its pros and cons and it’s a gamble on which will last longer anyway so if I were you I would test drive each back to back and pick the one you prefer to drive. Engines will eventually fail anyway so do what makes you happy for the 200,000 miles until you need to start replacing major parts.

He has a valid point. You’ll be replacing ball joints, seals, bearings, etc on the solid axles of the Jeep multiple times over 20 years. Also steering components, etc.
I call BS. In 20 years, you will still find all kinds of Jeep parts. The Toyota has a higher likelyhood of being a Schlitz can.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a LOT more posts about problems with the 6-speed manual than with the 2.0T.

Now, this doesn't guarantee that 2.0T engines won't start developing problems at 60,000+ miles. But so far, the probabilities favor the 2.0T over the manual transmission.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Possibly for life. 20+ years at least..
With that timeframe the durability of the engine may be moot, finding gas to run it could be your primary problem.

Seriously, given the imminent switch away from fossil fuels you could be totally overthinking this.

Last edited:

idlingmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm with this guy. There are so many 300,000 mile Toyota trucks (including Toyota's definition of "modern" ones) with original everything, that 300k is hardly even a milestone anymore.

Man if you are in it for 20 years + get a Toyota. One that is built in Japan. 4Runner or LC.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
If you must choose between those two I would get the 3.6 6 speed. Yes indeed it still has lots of problem, clutch problems still exist. Recall after recall. But that’s still less headache to deal with than the 2.0 etorque. You will have 3 different cooling system one engine one for the battery and one for the 48v motor, just to begin with. Then the turbo, battery, intercooler plus shit tons of extra parts and system.

That’s said if you must get a Jeep. However if you don’t want to be an master jeep technician after 10 years of owning a jeep, 4Runner, gx460 is a awesome alternative.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
But that’s still less headache to deal with than the 2.0 etorque.
Objection. Speculation.

The 2.0 is not yet showing any sign of durability issues. You're only saying that because they haven't been around long enough. Electric motors also have far fewer moving parts. They can last forever with minor maintenance and are a very unlikely source of durability issues. There are many 100+ y/o electric motors still in operation.

If you're going to harp on anything, harp on the turbos and battery. Turbos will require maintenance and the battery has a finite duty cycle (but by the end of its duty cycle a far better battery will likely be available).

JL_Confidential

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gecko Willys Sport 2-door
Occupation
I'd tell you, but you know the rest....
If you must choose between those two I would get the 3.6 6 speed. Yes indeed it still has lots of problem, clutch problems still exist. Recall after recall. But that’s still less headache to deal with than the 2.0 etorque. You will have 3 different cooling system one engine one for the battery and one for the 48v motor, just to begin with. Then the turbo, battery, intercooler plus shit tons of extra parts and system.

That’s said if you must get a Jeep. However if you don’t want to be an master jeep technician after 10 years of owning a jeep, 4Runner, gx460 is a awesome alternative.
2.0 is no longer etorque.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My 05 4 runner with 210k mi. has gotten to the point where the repairs it needs cost more than it’s worth. On the other hand my fathers CJ3A that I was taught to drive 55yrs. ago and passed down 5 years ago you can still get parts for!

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Not really into the Toyota idea being that I'm not really looking for a land yacht size vehicle for Off-roading and no open air experience.

The thing I love about Jeeps is the massive aftermarket. You can buy a Jeep any year and rebuild it to brand new condition. The only other vehicle I can think of with this type of aftermarket is Harley Davidson.

I don't think buying a Jeep and wanting to keep it forever is crazy with the size of the parts available and aftermarket. More people should have this same train of thought instead of always wanting the latest and the greatest.

With that said I still want to start out with the most reliable combination so I have the least amount of headaches and not have to dip into the parts and aftermarket that often. I know it will eventually happen down the road. I just don't want to be doing it in the first 5 years.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
If your objective is overall reliability, I'd go with the V6 and the AT. The issues with the V6 are mostly known and in general it's a very reliable engine. If you can't swing, $ wise, the AT then I'd go with the V6/ MT. The tranny itself is fine, it's the clutch that's a POS but you'll have aftermarket options to fix that down the road should it be a problem. Just plan for and start squirrelling away $10 - 20 a month... :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.