First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hate starting yet another ESS thread but I can only find threads talking about bypass or battery issues.

First let me state that I hated the idea of ESS. The first test drive I took about a year ago had the ESS stop the engine when I was at my first stop sign. I didn't know about it then and it gave me that sick feeling of being stranded. I didn't get my Jeep delivered for 4 months but during that time I was reading all of the threads to see how to bypass this. I was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to make this go away.

When my Jeep finally arrived I figured I would try the ESS for a week and see how it went. To my surprise it didn't bother me that much once I knew it would happen. In fact, I actually began to enjoy the feature. It was easy to just gently pump the brake a few seconds before I was going to accelerate.

Yesterday was the first time I was driving and it caused me to feel stranded and vulnerable again. I was in the left lane preparing to pull into a restaurant. I was letting the traffic pass and had a window to go. At the very moment I tried to accelerate the Jeep died. Luckily I had only went a few inches and didn't cross the median. The Jeep remained dead even as my foot was on the gas pedal. The Jeep didn't start back up again until I pressed on the brake and released it again. Luckily this wasn't a situation where I caused an accident that could have potentially hurt someone or myself but it does make me pause and reconsider if I should be driving with this feature turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFgESnz4Wl0
Thanks for the heads up.

If your Jeep heard you call it a car, it’s gonna do it again. :angel:

I’ve just learned to trust mine 4500 miles in, hmm, now you got me thinking.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hate starting yet another ESS thread but I can only find threads talking about bypass or battery issues.

First let me state that I hated the idea of ESS. The first test drive I took about a year ago had the ESS stop the engine when I was at my first stop sign. I didn't know about it then and it gave me that sick feeling of being stranded. I didn't get my Jeep delivered for 4 months but during that time I was reading all of the threads to see how to bypass this. I was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to make this go away.

When my Jeep finally arrived I figured I would try the ESS for a week and see how it went. To my surprise it didn't bother me that much once I knew it would happen. In fact, I actually began to enjoy the feature. It was easy to just gently pump the brake a few seconds before I was going to accelerate.

Yesterday was the first time I was driving and it caused me to feel stranded and vulnerable again. I was in the left lane preparing to pull into a restaurant. I was letting the traffic pass and had a window to go. At the very moment I tried to accelerate the Jeep died. Luckily I had only went a few inches and didn't cross the median. The Jeep remained dead even as my foot was on the gas pedal. The Jeep didn't start back up again until I pressed on the brake and released it again. Luckily this wasn't a situation where I caused an accident that could have potentially hurt someone or myself but it does make me pause and reconsider if I should be driving with this feature turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFgESnz4Wl0
Well that's what happens when you buy a 3.6L

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
2 - Your system is malfunctioning and needs to be serviced. With that in mind, there is nothing we can do to exercise caution with ESS as your original post suggests we do.

If the system is not working properly, nothing we do on our end will prevent that. Instead, this has turned into an attack/defend thread. And these types of threads really bring down the camaraderie and enjoyment of the boards.
Your assumption is that my ESS has malfunctioned. If your assumption is correct then yes, nobody needs to be cautious. I have a different point of view. I’ve work in automated electronics for over 20 years. I know that when systems experience faults like this the main culperate is usually programming logic. If you think the programming on a first year technology is perfect out of the gate and there is no reason to worry, then do so.

Forums aren’t just a place to brag and compliment each other’s mods. It’s also an information sharing system. I’ve learned a lot of info in here I would never have known about.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Throughout all of these threads on the topic I just don't understand what is so hard about starting the Jl and hitting a button to disable!!!! I like it sometimes, long lights, road trips etc. But in traffic??? NO, I don't like it.
I happen to know where I'm going when I get the vehicle. If I'm going to work (like every day) I'll touch it off. If I'm out and about and it kicks in, because I didn't turn it off at start-up, it will only happen once, because....I"LL TURN IT OFF!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is nothing hard about hitting a button. You’re missing the point of the thread. No worries.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i have noticed a few things with ESS.
first, i have a standard trans, so as long as i have the clutch pedal depressed, it disables the ESS.
also, if the steering wheel is turned slightly, it disables and sends a message to your dash.
and lately the temps have been very cold (-30 to -40c), which disables ESS also.
then there is the button to disable it on start up.

i actually don't mind it. thought i would hate it. maybe it's because i have a stick, and have more control with it?

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My mistake. I should have said implemented in the Wrangler. Thank you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
In case anyone wants to know exactly the part number... specifics of the JL's, ESS/Aux battery, here is a pic of the OEM, battery itself.

I'm keeping a copy of this pic in a file folder on my laptop so it is handy if and ever......

ESS battery pic.jpg

Sponsored

Lockheed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW X4
The "Obama Button" as my dealer called it always gets pushed when I start my Rubicon
totally worthless system
count me as a an ess hater

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
In case anyone wants to know exactly the part number... specifics of the JL's, ESS/Aux battery, here is a pic of the OEM, battery itself.

I'm keeping a copy of this pic in a file folder on my laptop so it is handy if and ever......

ESS battery pic.jpg
What a cute little battery, couldn't hurt a fly.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
With comments like "you mean driving" I guess we will be seeing a bunch of ESS equipped vehicles with passenger front end damage soon from trying to beat traffic. I hate making left turns where I live now.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a manual and I think ESS works really well on it since it's controlled by the clutch position (and brakes as people have noted). I would never have my clutch pedal out when preparing for a left turn in the middle of an intersection or road so what you experienced would never happen to me... But yikes, if this is how ESS functions on an auto and is not a bug or error that can be fixed, you're weariness is completely justified in my opinion. If I were expecting to accelerate and my engine stops with no reason, I'd be worried (I mean I've stalled before but at least that's my own fault and I know why it's happening).

This behavior alone would want me to disable it permanently.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum