Be Cautious with ESS

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Hate starting yet another ESS thread but I can only find threads talking about bypass or battery issues.

First let me state that I hated the idea of ESS. The first test drive I took about a year ago had the ESS stop the engine when I was at my first stop sign. I didn't know about it then and it gave me that sick feeling of being stranded. I didn't get my Jeep delivered for 4 months but during that time I was reading all of the threads to see how to bypass this. I was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to make this go away.

When my Jeep finally arrived I figured I would try the ESS for a week and see how it went. To my surprise it didn't bother me that much once I knew it would happen. In fact, I actually began to enjoy the feature. It was easy to just gently pump the brake a few seconds before I was going to accelerate.

Yesterday was the first time I was driving and it caused me to feel stranded and vulnerable again. I was in the left lane preparing to pull into a restaurant. I was letting the traffic pass and had a window to go. At the very moment I tried to accelerate the Jeep died. Luckily I had only went a few inches and didn't cross the median. The Jeep remained dead even as my foot was on the gas pedal. The Jeep didn't start back up again until I pressed on the brake and released it again. Luckily this wasn't a situation where I caused an accident that could have potentially hurt someone or myself but it does make me pause and reconsider if I should be driving with this feature turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFgESnz4Wl0
Sponsored

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
My biggest quandary with the ESS system is the mynute gas savings compared to the potential wear and tear of the engine components overtime. The thing I probably hate the most is when I go to park(depressing brake but not in park yet) and it dies just to turn back on when I place in park. I tried to embrace the feature but couldn't. Feature is turned off now thanks to a Tazer JL; never looked back.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
The thing I probably hate the most is when I go to park(depressing brake but not in park yet) and it dies just to turn back on when I place in park.
This(!)...otherwise, I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
This is easily controlled by several different programmers and they range in price from $125-$325 but if all you are wanting to do is give you control over ESS spending the $129 will do it, small price to pay for piece of mind.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Obviously if the Jeep remains dead after you lift your foot then there's an issue that the dealer needs to correct under warranty.

ESS has been shown to save fuel (money) in real life, and some of us have posted Fuelly data to prove it. They will get the feature perfected soon.

As far as wear and tear goes, during an ESS cycle the engine is still up to temp and oil is still coating the bearings, seals, pistons, etc. The engine isn't off for very long. It's not the same as a cold start first thing in the morning. And, the starter motor and flywheel are upgraded to handle the added starts. They have engineered the system and engine to work together for a long life.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Obviously if the Jeep remains dead after you lift your foot then there's an issue that the dealer needs to correct under warranty.

ESS has been shown to save fuel (money) in real life, and some of us have posted Fuelly data to prove it. They will get the feature perfected soon.

As far as wear and tear goes, during an ESS cycle the engine is still up to temp and oil is still coating the bearings, seals, pistons, etc. The engine isn't off for very long. It's not the same as a cold start first thing in the morning. And, the starter motor and flywheel are upgraded to handle the added starts. They have engineered the system and engine to work together for a long life.
Not sure what you mean by “get it perfected soon”. This has been on cars for years now and pretty much the range of reactions by consumers is the same regarding love it, hate it or don’t care.

Interesting article here. Wonder if the wrangler system can be defeated the same as this F150 by fooling it into thinkng there is a trailer attached?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
I think of it as what is more important, saving a bit of gas or wearing out your starter. I've been in situations where I hit the brakes, the engine stops, then I accelerate, then the engine comes back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. Over and over again. Cant be good for the starter.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Tazer and the first thing I did with it was kill the ESS. I have noticed zero change in gas mileage. The exact scenario that someone described above scares the crap out of me...you're about to make a left-hand turn across oncoming traffic and the ESS kills the motor as you try to accelerate and you get in a head-on collision. Terrifying.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is easily controlled by several different programmers and they range in price from $125-$325 but if all you are wanting to do is give you control over ESS spending the $129 will do it, small price to pay for piece of mind.
Thanks for the info. I have read all of the forum postings and am quite familiar with the options. I only made this thread to illustrate the fact that people need to be cautious when using this “feature”.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way, in case you missed it I put a link to my dash cam footage in my post.

Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Really seems like 2 simple software changes would make ESS way more manageable.

1. Make it less sensitive, rather than every time you come to a complete stop instantly engage ESS, wait for 60 seconds or so before turning the engine off.

2. Disable the system if the turn signals are engaged.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really seems like 2 simple software changes would make ESS way more manageable.

1. Make it less sensitive, rather than every time you come to a complete stop instantly engage ESS, wait for 60 seconds or so before turning the engine off.

2. Disable the system if the turn signals are engaged.
1. Would still potentially cause an issue. It could still die at the moment of acceleration.

2. Is brilliant.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest quandary with the ESS system is the mynute gas savings compared to the potential wear and tear of the engine components overtime. The thing I probably hate the most is when I go to park(depressing brake but not in park yet) and it dies just to turn back on when I place in park. I tried to embrace the feature but couldn't. Feature is turned off now thanks to a Tazer JL; never looked back.
I was going to post this. It is an okay system and I do leave it on in certain situations on my drive home such as just pulling up to a light that just turned red and I know wont change for a bit. But man is it annoying when I come to stop in a parking spot, engine shuts off, I shift to P and the engine starts back up just for me to immediately turn it off again.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This(!)...otherwise, I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.
I was used to it too. I actually began to like the feature. I had a good experience with it for over 8k miles. The one time it does this when you are trying to make a turn will probably change your opinion too.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I think we need to re-introduce the concept of "Positive Control", where a machine is expected to do exactly what the operator commanded, not what some electro nanny thought might be a good idea. I do not want my intentions interpreted, I want direct control over what my vehicle does.
Sponsored