Be Cautious with ESS

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I have saved myself at least $100! It takes only a second to push the A-Off button after pushing the start button! On my old JK I had to twist the key and wait for the engine to start. That took more time than a two button push sequence. After having the Rubi for six months...it is an easy habit to form.
Sponsored

emdub

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously you still haven't viewed the video and are simply making a broad and invalid statement. I'm glad that where you live you never have to make a left hand turn. It must also be nice that if your engine did stop in middle of the road that you would be in no danger with other motorist near you.
Just let it go. The guy who initially commented on your post is just trolling...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Really seems like 2 simple software changes would make ESS way more manageable.

1. Make it less sensitive, rather than every time you come to a complete stop instantly engage ESS, wait for 60 seconds or so before turning the engine off.

2. Disable the system if the turn signals are engaged.
60 seconds is far too long, basically you'll have an ESS shutdown just before the light turns green. This will make it more an an annoyance than anything helpful. It is far better to use light brake pressure if you know it will be a quick stop, like at a stop sign versus a longer stop at a red light.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Obviously you still haven't viewed the video and are simply making a broad and invalid statement. I'm glad that where you live you never have to make a left hand turn. It must also be nice that if your engine did stop in middle of the road that you would be in no danger with other motorist near you.
I don't think either of the people who commented are trying to say that the actual maneuver you were attempting was dangerous or that you weren't justified in feeling panicked, just that putting yourself in a situation where you actually could have caused a crash would not be smart.
Unfortunately, some of us live in parts of the country where your options are to make a turn that would put you in such a situation or just never make a turn.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Obviously if the Jeep remains dead after you lift your foot then there's an issue that the dealer needs to correct under warranty.

ESS has been shown to save fuel (money) in real life, and some of us have posted Fuelly data to prove it. They will get the feature perfected soon.

As far as wear and tear goes, during an ESS cycle the engine is still up to temp and oil is still coating the bearings, seals, pistons, etc. The engine isn't off for very long. It's not the same as a cold start first thing in the morning. And, the starter motor and flywheel are upgraded to handle the added starts. They have engineered the system and engine to work together for a long life.
I "feel for" the OP and the next poster as well. I agree with your logic, and as a side I too have a continuing love/dislike for the system, as it is, in my 2016 WK2 V6 . Same issue with it "on" is that when I am trying to park - wether in my garage or on the street or parking lot . . . it will do the same thing - on/off/on again ! Wether or not it may be an engine problem down the road doesn't concern me as much as the "it just pisses me off" Frustration of it all !
Problem #2 is getting it to the point where it WANTS to BE on - i.e.; having the battery fully charged (enough) to where it will "cooperate" and behave as intended - kinda like a "spoiled child having a tantrum" ! Perhaps you can relate ?
In full disclosure, I do not drive my WK2 every day, and when I do, it's generally on short, in town runs - not giving the battery enough time to get "up to full charge" ! Sitting in a cold garage for a few days at a time doesn't help that !
Which is why, along with the Better Fuel Economy, have been anticipating the IMPROVED ESS performance with the addition of the etorque 48 volt system ! I've test driven it in the new RAM DT V6 and the JLUR (2018 version) and BOTH were a 99% Improvement over the ESS without eTorque ! Really seamless ! Now that I think about it, I also did not have that stop/start experience while parking either !
With a new Jl (WK2 trade) in the not to distant future and the Rumors that at some point in 2019-MY (?) the JL V6 will be also getting the eTorque system . . . I may delay for THAT ! ? I hesitate only because of my perceived anxieties over all the extra "plumbing" under & amongst the FRAMEwork to heat & cool the 48V package ! I am basically hoping JEEP makes some improvements in that design and implementation ! Literally dying to get my hands on the steering wheel of my own JLU as soon as I deem myself to feel comfortable doing so ! Hey, we all have "issues," don't we ? ;) :)

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Or, for 0 dollars and only for autos, you put your shifter on sequential and there is no ESS. No need to deactivate.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
But man is it annoying when I come to stop in a parking spot, engine shuts off, I shift to P and the engine starts back up just for me to immediately turn it off again.
This was what made me, from day one of owning my JL, not be an ESS fanboy.

Within days of owning my JL, I installed the Tazer JL, mainly to disable ESS.

The Tazer JL does disable ESS and offers much more as many know. ZAutomotive, a forum sponsor brings us the Tazer JL.

Recently, I had the opportunity to run another forum sponsor's offering for a couple of months... the SmartStopStart. This one trick pony, I call it, is very easy to install, and it's sole purpose is to disable ESS ........... AND ... it does it well.

IF all you want to do is disable ESS, do consider the SmatStopStart.

I should mention that regardless of which ESS disabler, I used/use, I occasionally DO use ESS. I'm not an ESS hater, lets say.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I "feel for" the OP and the next poster as well. I agree with your logic, and as a side I too have a continuing love/dislike for the system, as it is, in my 2016 WK2 V6 . Same issue with it "on" is that when I am trying to park - wether in my garage or on the street or parking lot . . . it will do the same thing - on/off/on again ! Wether or not it may be an engine problem down the road doesn't concern me as much as the "it just pisses me off" Frustration of it all !
Problem #2 is getting it to the point where it WANTS to BE on - i.e.; having the battery fully charged (enough) to where it will "cooperate" and behave as intended - kinda like a "spoiled child having a tantrum" ! Perhaps you can relate ?
In full disclosure, I do not drive my WK2 every day, and when I do, it's generally on short, in town runs - not giving the battery enough time to get "up to full charge" ! Sitting in a cold garage for a few days at a time doesn't help that !
Which is why, along with the Better Fuel Economy, have been anticipating the IMPROVED ESS performance with the addition of the etorque 48 volt system ! I've test driven it in the new RAM DT V6 and the JLUR (2018 version) and BOTH were a 99% Improvement over the ESS without eTorque ! Really seamless ! Now that I think about it, I also did not have that stop/start experience while parking either !
With a new Jl (WK2 trade) in the not to distant future and the Rumors that at some point in 2019-MY (?) the JL V6 will be also getting the eTorque system . . . I may delay for THAT ! ? I hesitate only because of my perceived anxieties over all the extra "plumbing" under & amongst the FRAMEwork to heat & cool the 48V package ! I am basically hoping JEEP makes some improvements in that design and implementation ! Literally dying to get my hands on the steering wheel of my own JLU as soon as I deem myself to feel comfortable doing so ! Hey, we all have "issues," don't we ? ;) :)
Dude. What's with all the exclamation points. Make's your post difficult to read.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Or, for 0 dollars and only for autos, you put your shifter on sequential and there is no ESS. No need to deactivate.
It’s really not a matter of how to turn it off, being too lazy to turn it off, or finding ways to get around it. I was using it because I wanted to. I thought it would be easier to adopt the technology rather than fight it. I’m just letting the people know that use this feature to be cautious when doing so. If I ever use it again, I can assure you I will turn it off when I’m situations like that again.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hate starting yet another ESS thread but I can only find threads talking about bypass or battery issues.

First let me state that I hated the idea of ESS. The first test drive I took about a year ago had the ESS stop the engine when I was at my first stop sign. I didn't know about it then and it gave me that sick feeling of being stranded. I didn't get my Jeep delivered for 4 months but during that time I was reading all of the threads to see how to bypass this. I was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to make this go away.

When my Jeep finally arrived I figured I would try the ESS for a week and see how it went. To my surprise it didn't bother me that much once I knew it would happen. In fact, I actually began to enjoy the feature. It was easy to just gently pump the brake a few seconds before I was going to accelerate.

Yesterday was the first time I was driving and it caused me to feel stranded and vulnerable again. I was in the left lane preparing to pull into a restaurant. I was letting the traffic pass and had a window to go. At the very moment I tried to accelerate the Jeep died. Luckily I had only went a few inches and didn't cross the median. The Jeep remained dead even as my foot was on the gas pedal. The Jeep didn't start back up again until I pressed on the brake and released it again. Luckily this wasn't a situation where I caused an accident that could have potentially hurt someone or myself but it does make me pause and reconsider if I should be driving with this feature turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFgESnz4Wl0
I've said it before, but my feelings are that this is a lame stop-gap measure for the automakers to achieve higher mileage ratings on the EPA test loop. And they score better if the vehicle has ESS enabled on every startup as I later read. I hate this auto-start-stop trend, but just be lucky you don't have a GM car, as I know some of them do not even have buttons to disable the ESS functionality., at all. Like others here, Taser JL (mini) is the solution for me. I threw on bigger tires, so I needed it anyhow. The ESS KILL certainly makes it worth the 329 beans.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
There’s no way for me to be sure exactly why this happened. When I applied pressure to the brake and released it the car started right up. I have never had another glitch before or after this incident but I’ve only been driving it a few hours since this happened. My thought is the ESS triggered the shutdown the exact moment I lifted the brake and it got confused. This would explain why it lunges forward a few inches when I tried to drive.
I wonder if instead of lifting, you could have pushed off of the pedal and exceeded the brake pedal threshold that activates ESS and the ESS reaction was slightly slower than the throttle. Definitely a glitch that the ESS system didn't detect the subsequent release of the pedal.

It seems like common behavior when making a left turn from a busy street that you gradually slow waiting for a gap, then stop when necessary - no ESS activation due to light brake pressure. Then a gap appears and you push off of the brake to get to the accelerator quickly, activating ESS. I wonder if the OP's issue can be replicated.

And blinker on, ESS off should fix this.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
It's one of the first buttons I push to turn off.
Annoying. Reminds me of a golf cart.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I have saved myself at least $100! It takes only a second to push the A-Off button after pushing the start button! On my old JK I had to twist the key and wait for the engine to start. That took more time than a two button push sequence. After having the Rubi for six months...it is an easy habit to form.
How can you tell?

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has ESS on her 2017 Pilot. I feel the version in the Wrangler is much more responsive. I can say that I have never experienced what you did. And I had two thoughts pop into my head when reading about it.

1- You are a two foot driver. But you have already stated that is not the case.

2 - Your system is malfunctioning and needs to be serviced. With that in mind, there is nothing we can do to exercise caution with ESS as your original post suggests we do.

If the system is not working properly, nothing we do on our end will prevent that. Instead, this has turned into an attack/defend thread. And these types of threads really bring down the camaraderie and enjoyment of the boards.
Sponsored