Sponsored

Battery/Stop-Start Issue

Lola1721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My 2018 Rudicon has been doing the same thing. It has been in the shop twice already and is schedule to go in again. Already replaced the alternator and a fuse. Battery protection keeps coming on and the battery volts go down throughout the day. Still no answers.

60F61A9D-2448-4150-BEBD-AFD534A2997A.jpeg

C4EB4EC5-97F6-4D80-AC08-7C1790041C78.jpeg
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My voltage used to run low all the time and would ramp up on slowing down but now it runs 13.6-14.0 most of the time has never given me that error message

isaaydin

First Name
Isa Aydin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018, JL Rubicon 4xe 2021
I've gotten this screen a couple times..
20180526_173058.jpg
anyone else have this issue? I used a multimeter to check the battery with the vehicle off and am showing 12.73 volts. Was hoping someone had some info before I take it to the dealer. Thanks!
I would ask, if there is someone who doesn't have this issue ))) bought mine 4 days ago and same problem Start/stop error and ESS error sign). Now I have to drive to Chrysler Teterboro.. This is ridiculous, a car has just 500 miles on it and already needs to go back to Service. This is a common issue and I see posts about it from beginning of 2018. And they still sell these cars without fixing it. Car is far not cheap car, I paid almost $50k for it... This is not possible on any Toyota or Mercedes. 4 days and my first disappointment, let's see whats next.

IMG_3734.jpg

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I would ask, if there is someone who doesn't have this issue ))) bought mine 4 days ago and same problem Start/stop error and ESS error sign). Now I have to drive to Chrysler Teterboro.. This is ridiculous, a car has just 500 miles on it and already needs to go back to Service. This is a common issue and I see posts about it from beginning of 2018. And they still sell these cars without fixing it. Car is far not cheap car, I paid almost $50k for it... This is not possible on any Toyota or Mercedes. 4 days and my first disappointment, let's see whats next.
Good news is that it is neither a defect nor an error message. It just means that it put the start/stop on hold because it is protecting the ESS battery. It will go away once the battery gets its full charge back subsequently. Take it out for a long drive.

An error message or a defect in wiring for ESS comes with a sound/chime and with a message to service start/stop system. The message remains throughout the time till you shut the engine off and start again.

BTW, did you drive 500 miles in 4 days? If so, then your battery may be bad or not charging well.

Last edited:

Novanotch

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good news is that it is neither a defect nor an error message. It just means that it put the start/stop on hold because it is protecting the ESS battery. It will go away once the battery gets its full charge back subsequently. Take it out for a long drive.

An error message or a defect in wiring for ESS comes with a sound/chime and with a message to service start/stop system. The message remains throughout the time till you shut the engine off and start again.

BTW, did you drive 500 miles in 4 days? If so, then your battery may be bad or not charging well.
This is not necessarily true, I've had this error along with the ESS errors occurring and i've had everything including the batteries replaced and it is still doing this. It is now officially a lemon and being bought back by FCA.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR

Mine always gets the issue on long hot trips. Never has a problem starting though. Oddly enough the voltage goes up when coasting in this mode almost like on throttle it’s coasting the alternator to save fuel.

There is a separate message for battery too low for ess.

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Forgot to mention that while shuddering at idle, I got the message “ start stop unavailable. Service start stop system”
882DC2A1-C156-4A4D-8D7A-6652FC5F1460.jpeg
JLU in my possession for 7 days and had same issue (yellow A with alert exclamation) when I took possession. Dealer said was just a low battery and with some minimal driving it would charge up and alert would go away. After a week of driving and 500 miles, alert was still on. Brought to service dept today and auxiliary battery failed test. Replaced with new battery and all works fine now. Hope this helps others with similar issues.

Novanotch

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JLU in my possession for 7 days and had same issue (yellow A with alert exclamation) when I took possession. Dealer said was just a low battery and with some minimal driving it would charge up and alert would go away. After a week of driving and 500 miles, alert was still on. Brought to service dept today and auxiliary battery failed test. Replaced with new battery and all works fine now. Hope this helps others with similar issues.
Be cautious, i had my aux battery, fuel pump and PCM replaced all at different times and the issue continued to occur.

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Be cautious, i had my aux battery, fuel pump and PCM replaced all at different times and the issue continued to occur.
Thanks for the information! I will keep an eye on it and return it to the shop as soon as it malfunctions again. Fingers crossed.

isaaydin

First Name
Isa Aydin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read other posts. This has already been explained. It’s a defect. Quick fix by dealirship. They just need to change one cheap part. Hundreds of cars has this issue. It’s is an error message and it has nothing to do with short or long trips, or battery. Mine started to work fine by itself after 2 days, like nothing happened before. If it happens again I will take it to dealership, too.

Sponsored

isaaydin

First Name
Isa Aydin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem is that having such problems within first week on $50K+ car is nasty. Prices go UP quality goes DOWN. After reading other problems that people have from track bar welding to computer haulting, I just feel fooled by Jeep.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed last night at a drive through that the start stop didn't work. It was working today until this afternoon and I'm getting the message that it's in battery protection mode. I've only had this JL for three weeks and only drive it on the weekends. It has 756 miles and there's already an issue.
20181013_165116.jpg

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if this has still worked....I’m still having similar issue...dealer thinks it is due to a faulty door switch but I’m not to confident
What did yours end up being? Was it the door switch or something else?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Reading through this thread doesn't give me much hope. :( Mine made it 7,400 miles before going haywire. Looks like a long road ahead.

frajnai

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2011 Mustang GT
I've gotten this screen a couple times..[
To anyone else having this issue, it may be obvious, but take it to the dealer and dont turn the car on and off hoping it will go away. Even if it does go away you may be in for more serious issues down the road. Get it to the dealer and start keeping a log of EVERYTHING, in case this becomes a long-term issue.

Mine started with this error, and then a day or so later, completely died, leaving myself and family stuck in an intersection. Luckily my wife has CAA and we towed in in to the dealer.

Now im doing the dance with the dealership to make sure they take appropriate steps to fix the thing. First they said they would just re-charge the battery for a couple days and "see if its ok"... which makes no sense to me.. why would a brand new battery on a car with <3000KM have a dead battery in the first place.. they need to get to root cause, not a quick fix.

Ill let everyone know how things go with mine and what the solution ends up being (praying there is one), but be wary and dont waste time jumping on the issue, and dont settle for this dealer crap of "dont worry about it". Of course you should worry about it!
Sponsored