nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
@music293

Buy a set of quick disconnects. Attach the quick disconnect to numbers 4 and 7 as shown in the picture below. Hook up like this and your battery tender / maintainer will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery.

As for the quick disconnect cable... IF you buy the quick disconnect cable and a 2 foot.... short extension cable (eBAY) for the disconnect, you can actually drop the charge cable down and behind the fender liner.

Protect the cable with some plastic shielding and the capped end of it, you just lay in the frame rail hole til you need it..

When you want to charge, just lean into the wheel well, grab the cable end and plug in your battery maintainer... No need to open the engine compartment hood.

battery numbered.jpg
I have mine hooked up to #6 in your picture. There was recently a write-up about this here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/my-testing-of-the-ibs-ibm-system.79412/
Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Quick follow up question, as someone who has never used a tender before. Are you able to hook it up with the battery still seated in the Jeep, or do you need to remove the battery from the vehicle and then place it on the tender?
I installed an Anderson connector (bracket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GY9BNV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in the passenger ww so I don't need to open the hood every time. Been running ~1 year, no issues.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@nU7OuxIx

What at that link was mentioned that led you to believe that #6 and not #7 should be used...

There is absolutely no reason not to connect to number #7.

No, I would not use #5.

@nU7OuxIx

What at that link was mentioned that led you to believe that #6 and not #7 should be used...

There is absolutely no reason not to connect to number #7.

No, I would not use #5.
The post says....

...the yellow arrow is where the negative charger cable should be attached and the green X should never be used as a charger point as it bypasses the IBS

I still need to read the entire post to comprehend what he's trying to say, as there's a lot of information there. From what I can understand, when you connect it to #6, it goes through the battery management system. The battery management system gets managed by the ECU and controls a number of things.

I'm far from an expert, but since jeep put a little extra lug there for ground cables, there must be a reason to use that instead of directly to the battery.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Mine is regularly on, it’s a good idea for sure. I have a Noco, with permanently connected adapter that came with it, has cover already That you can see. I’m connected to 3 and 5, don’t think it’s a big deal which you connect to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery maintainer question A9FA3FF6-00A8-4646-8507-20FF6B58327D

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The post says....

...the yellow arrow is where the negative charger cable should be attached and the green X should never be used as a charger point as it bypasses the IBS

I still need to read the entire post to comprehend what he's trying to say, as there's a lot of information there. From what I can understand, when you connect it to #6, it goes through the battery management system. The battery management system gets managed by the ECU and controls a number of things.

I'm far from an expert, but since jeep put a little extra lug there for ground cables, there must be a reason to use that instead of directly to the battery.
@nU7OuxIx

I did more reading, more homework so to speak and found out the charging current would not be included in the IBS analysis of the battery health if you use #7.

You would end up with a fully charged battery that the IBS thinks is partially charged, so now the IBS is out of sync with the battery. This could cause issues like ongoing battery charging messages.

So, hooking a battery tender maintainer to #7, in regard to the JL would not be the way to go. Yes, attach as you mentioned, as you read at that link.

I deleted my earlier post saying #7 was a way to go with the JL.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is regularly on, it’s a good idea for sure. I have a Noco, with permanently connected adapter that came with it, has cover already That you can see. I’m connected to 3 and 5, don’t think it’s a big deal which you connect to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery maintainer question A9FA3FF6-00A8-4646-8507-20FF6B58327D
I do the same set up. NOCO costs a tiny bit more but I own three of them and never had a problem. Like you, I don’t use the clamps but instead, used the eyelet permanent mounts for quick connect/disconnect. I considered permanently mounting the maintainer as well but decided that probably won’t make it live longer. I’ve been using this set up on my boat, Jeep and Hellcat for years with zero issues.

Maintainer
Extra Harness

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@nU7OuxIx

I did more reading, more homework so to speak and found out the charging current would not be included in the IBS analysis of the battery health if you use #7.

You would end up with a fully charged battery that the IBS thinks is partially charged, so now the IBS is out of sync with the battery. This could cause issues like ongoing battery charging messages.

So, hooking a battery tender maintainer to #7, in regard to the JL would not be the way to go. Yes, attach as you mentioned, as you read at that link.

I deleted my earlier post saying #7 was a way to go with the JL.

Phew, I needed a tldr for that post I linked to and this was pretty much it. I've had a mental block for the past week and that post I linked to was a long one.

Thank you for clearing that up for everybody!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Phew, I needed a tldr for that post I linked to and this was pretty much it. I've had a mental block for the past week and that post I linked to was a long one.

@nU7OuxIx

@Jebiruph , (now that is a guy that knows the dual battery system) posted over a year ago, saying to connect properly or you would end up with a fully charged battery that the IBS thinks is partially charged and then you'd end of with the IBS out of sync with the battery.... and that this could cause issues like ongoing battery charging messages.

Back then, I read and comprehended that post..... Guess recently, I just have forgot that tidbit of pertinent info. It's hard to remember everything....

Thanks for pointing me to another post that used a chitt load lot of words to say the same thing that Jerry said in 3 sentences, over a year ago.. 8-) Anyway, my mind has been jogged and I'm up to speed again.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just so it is clear..

When using a battery tender/maintainer the tender/maintainers red clamp goes to Main Battery Pos. terminal and the tender/maintainers black clamp goes to either #5 or #6 in the picture below. #6 is a a larger diameter threaded stud so I go with #6.

If the ring connector on your quick disconnect cable is a tad to small for #6, just slightly enlarge the ring connector hole's diameter so it fits over #6.

Do not use #7 in the pic or you will end up with a fully charged battery that the IBS thinks is partially charged... and then you end of with the IBS out of sync with the battery.... and that could cause issues like ongoing battery charging messages.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery maintainer question battery numbered

OP
OP
InjectedCJ7

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
Lest anyone think I disappeared after start this thread, I’ve been closely following it. I must say, even as a Mechanical Engineer, my brain hurts a little trying to digest all this information! I guess I should have paid more attention during my electrical courses… I’ve concluded that I should definitely put a charger/maintainer on my battery while I’m gone for a couple of months. My battery system in completely stock, and being a 2018, I’m not sure if it’s had any TSB updates. Also, I don’t know how close I am to suffering a battery failure, AUX or main… I’m kind of leaning towards the NOCO maintainer, but not sure what size would be the best to get. Is the 5 amp version suitable? I already have a good old school battery charger (2, 10, 50, trickle), so this would be mostly for maintaining. I plan to use the permanent eyelet mounting, as recommended (posts 4 & 6).

Head Spiningly,
John

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
@TheNewGuy

You could just buy a new extension cable and use that one you have without a cap for another thing.

Here is the exact 18" cable I bought / same vendor. Not expensive. Seller is aok ... quick to ship.
I have bought a couple from him over the last 2 yrs.. Has the 2 Pin SAE to SAE you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112595846383?hash=item1a373c44ef:g:IRkAAOSwhQhY3lvr

For the plastic shielding buy at Harbor Freight... a couple of bucks for a few feet of it.
This is the cable I have. It has the cap I would just have to buy the plastic shield. I saw the posts saying to use 5 or 6 for negative but which number in that photo should the positive be connected to? I know I have probably read it on here but easier to just ask again than try to find it.

20220129_101501.jpg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the cable I have. It has the cap I would just have to buy the plastic shield. I saw the posts saying to use 5 or 6 for negative but which number in that photo should the positive be connected to? I know I have probably read it on here but easier to just ask again than try to find it.

20220129_101501.jpg

@TheNewGuy

In regard to your quick disconnect cable > For your Positive side of Main battery connection, connect to #4. Use #6 on the Neg. side.

All the back and forth in regard to what to use on the Neg side is due to the IBS sensor being on the neg side as it is.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
5 amp will do, 10 amp will do everything if you want the flexibility to use it on more than just your Jeep.

As for technical difficulty, you have nothing to worry about. You used more time and brain cells reading this reply than it takes to order and install the NECO Genius. If you use the harness, everything is plug and play and your spouse, kids, drunk uncle or mistress can connect the maintainer with zero fears of sparks, getting dirty or worse, accidentally reversing polarity.

The links below will get ya what you need. If you only want to use the maintainer on one vehicle, just order the maintainer and it will come with a clamp harness and an eyelet harness. You permanently mount the eyelet harness to the Jeep and use the clamp harness as a giant paper clip. Being a permanent kind of guy, I tossed my clamp harness in the trash.

LINKS:
Maintainer
Extra Harness

FYI - Pretty much every maintainer made requests the maintainer be connected to the battery BEFORE you plug the the maintainer into the wall. They want the maintainer to have the load sensed before it is energized to prevent damage to anything. Easy to remember, just thought I’d point that out.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If you use the harness, everything is plug and play and your spouse, kids, drunk uncle or mistress can connect the maintainer with zero fears of sparks, getting dirty or worse, accidentally reversing polarity.
True, but I would warn against charging both batteries at the same time. They are disparately sized and, while the Noco won’t complain, one would be better off disconnecting the AUX negative while charging the main and charging the AUX separately.

I now use a Noco-5 on my AUX and an Odyssey OBC-20a (6 stage - hell of a nice charger) on my main. Truth be told my AUX is disconnected and bypassed so I only maintain it once a month. With limited driving these days (pandemic) I charge my main every week.

As linked above, I developed this routine after an expensive and frustrating lesson.
Sponsored