On-vehicle battery charging question?

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
Just had the main battery and 150amp fuse block replaced under warranty. Now, volt meter is going back and forth between 12.6 and 14.1, but I always remember it being solid 14.4v before.
Thinking I should put a charger on it but want to be sure before I do so I don't fry the ESS battery and mess anything up. Not used to charging a battery setup like this.

Best way to connect a charger?

Thank you.
Sponsored

keithg2101215

First Name
Keith Gorham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
I would not worry about it,. A hour drive or so should charge them back to normal. If you want to charge them, I would disconnect them from the vehicle first. Probably not needed, but safer.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
since this past March 2020 because of the nationwide shutdown, I have been running a battery tender on a regular basis attached to the main battery. This has been working beautifully without issues for almost 8 months (so far). It charges both batteries because they are connected in parallel with the engine off.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
In parallel connected battery systems, a charger "sees" one battery which is the total of the two connected batteries. In strings of batteries, the weakest one will bring the whole thing down. Connect your battery tender to the main connectors like any other vehicle and it will charge fine until one or the other battery dies due to age or a defect of some sort.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
your battery charging voltage (evic display) is dropping down to 12.6 (while at idle or accelerating) because you have a fresh battery, it is not indicative of low charge. the voltage will increase while coasting/braking (saves gas), and will stay pinned at mid 14's when the battery charge is reduced.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone that has the voltage stay at 14+ all the time should have batteries checked, when I had my original setup all was well for the first couple years then the voltage just kept creeping up and stayed over 14+ most of the time and I would occasionally see 13.8 on a long drive, even after putting the batteries on a Deltran and letting it sit for a few days the voltage would start off at 12.9 and within a day or so be back over 14+ but not since I went to a dual battery system I see low high 12’s to low 13’s on a pretty short drive so that tells me that the IBS is seeing the voltage it needs to see and is telling the alternator to do its thing.

Regardless of what battery system you have if the voltage display is constantly over 14+ there is an issue with one of the batteries IMHO...

Also not sure what the Deltran and other similar chargers maintainers put out but AGM batteries need a specific voltage for a certain period of time while they are being maintained and I believe the factory setup is 14.4 volts as a max and 13.0 for float and I was advised it’s best to keep the charge close to that.

Currently I am unofficially testing a NOCO Genius 10 and Odyssey 20 amp chargers side by side, they both get very high marks, the Genius 10 replaced the 7200 and the amps are higher and it’s more feature backed and the Odyssey 20 is what Full River and Genesis suggested as that’s what Genesis uses for testing and Full River advised that particular charger matches the charging curve of their batteries
Sponsored