Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Add us to the list....

2021 80th anniversary 2 door sport.

Just over 2k miles.

Backup camera just quit working.

Haven't tried the reboot process yet.....and haven't let it sit overnight yet.

But seriously? Should we have to???

Nothing ruins the joy of the shine of a new vehicle than stuff like this .

IMHO....too may electronic dependencies and gizmos these days.......Jeep is supposed to stand for rugged, capable......but going into reverse "too soon" offlines equipment????

Come on.

Will try the "stand on one foot, rub your head and wiggle your nose" process and report back.
To give you an update, I have just had my 2018 JL Rubicon at the dealer for the last 7 days for the front Axle seals and Axle guides failing which left a large puddle of fluid on my garage.

The seals and guides were replaced, I asked why they failed only to be told "Dana Axle are made to Jeep Specs....." So, what does that mean....?

But on the UConnect issue.... The dealer showed me a TSB which indicated they were not to do any work on the UConnect system until a new update is developed and released by FCA / UConnect. This was to happen in first quarter of 2021 . (March 2021). They had no new information or updates. They advised I contact FCA / UConnect.

If you watched my previous video's on this thread, you will see my problems with UConnect.

Jeep cares started a dialog with me, however there was no new updates or information. Jeep Cares asked when I had been to the dealer Last. I answered TODAY and the dealer referred me back to FCA / UConnect.

My system stated with the back up camera issues and progressed to now multiple issues which I have shown in the videos.

Its not like the old days, just get a new stereo. The Uconnect controls several things in your vehicle.

I would like a product that works properly. No a big ask for a $50,000.00 JL Rubicon....
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The dealer showed me a TSB which indicated they were not to do any work on the UConnect system until a new update is developed and released by FCA / UConnect. This was to happen in first quarter of 2021 . (March 2021). They had no new information or updates. They advised I contact FCA / UConnect.
My 2018 got this OTA update, today. It does not seem any better. In fact, I had to force-reboot my head unit immediately after the update because Sirius would not work. 🤷‍♂️

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
My 2018 got this OTA update, today. It does not seem any better. In fact, I had to force-reboot my head unit immediately after the update because Sirius would not work. 🤷‍♂️
Yes sir, I received the OTA update and my 2018 JL Rubicon got worse. I lost all the programming, I had to call and have all the services installed again. Rebooting was several times a day. I still lost the camera, then music cutting in and out every couple of seconds. I hope your update is better than the OTA update I got.

I was told that they stopped the OTA updates because it made the product worse. (SARAH @ UConnect) They were waiting on a second update OTA to make corrections to the first OTA update. Then the third update was to happen at the dealer because it was to large for OTA. Again this information came from (Sarah @ UConnect). I have not received update 2 or 3.....

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good afternoon everyone,

We hear your concerns. At this time, the software update is still projected to be released in June 2021. Please keep an eye out on your vehicle's Uconnect systems as you should be receiving a notification for an update soon.

If you're experiencing concerns and would like us to investigate them or offer our additional support alongside your dealer's services, please feel free to send us a private message.

We appreciate your patience as our various teams are working vigorously to provide you all with a more flawless platform.

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
These updates scare the shit out of me. I'm always afraid my Jeep will come out worse on the other side.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
The Uconnect in my 2021 with 8.4" system has started getting a little buggy. A few months ago, I lost the backup lines, but they were back the next morning. I've been having occasional issues with "device not supported" when connecting my phone to use Android Auto. Restarting my phone or restarting the head unit (holding power and tune) fixes that. A couple of weeks ago, the screen was black when the rear camera should have been on (fine for other system screens). Again, restarting the head unit fixed that. Then this morning, I noticed no backup lines again. We'll see if they're back when I leave work.

So far, they've been annoyances more than big issues. But you all have me worried, now, that it's just going to get worse.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
...restarting the head unit (holding power and tune) fixes that. A couple of weeks ago, the screen was black when the rear camera should have been on (fine for other system screens). Again, restarting the head unit fixed that. Then this morning, I noticed no backup lines again.
My back up lines come and go every few days. Been the case for 2 years now. However, I got the black screen about an hour ago when I went to lunch. First time I can recall that ever happening. Camera was fine on the morning commute. Are there additional steps to your head unit restart procedure? I'm pretty sure I tried something like that in the past, but it had to be in ACC or Start position or something like that. Anyway it didn't work. How long do you hold the two buttons?

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
My back up lines come and go every few days. Been the case for 2 years now. However, I got the black screen about an hour ago when I went to lunch. First time I can recall that ever happening. Camera was fine on the morning commute. Are there additional steps to your head unit restart procedure? I'm pretty sure I tried something like that in the past, but it had to be in ACC or Start position or something like that. Anyway it didn't work. How long do you hold the two buttons?
I read it on this forum somewhere. I held the two buttons for at least ten seconds, then let go. I did it once when it was running but stopped at a traffic light. The last time it was running but in park in my driveway. I don't know if it matters if the engine is running or not.

And FYI, my lines were back when I left work yesterday.

Reactions: DHW

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hold the power and tune buttons together for about 15 seconds and release, then hit the power button again to reboot the system.

Reactions: DHW

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Good evening to all,

A few days ago I started speaking with Courtney @ Jeep cares.

I had received the first over the air update to the UCONNECT System, earlier this year.and I had multiple problems with the software as seen in the videos I posted..

I wanted to update you of the progress since the second Over the air download was completed yesterday for my Uconnect system.

Fingers crossed, the system now seems to be operating 100% better then before this second update.

all of the problems in the videos Seem to be resolved, only time will tell for certain, I do drive a considerable amount and all systems seem to be working and they should be..

I will keep everyone posted but I do feel like my conversation with Courtney @ Jeep cares definitely had an impact on the software being pushed out over the air in my jeep.

.I am very appreciative as this is the first time in over a year that I’ve been able to listen to the radio, back up with the camera, or simply listen to XM without intermittent interruptions from the sound going in and out.

Again I will keep y’all posted, however this second update seems to have performed miracles on my Uconnect system.

Tim

E800E6ED-18A4-464A-94F3-E35ED8134381.jpeg

92F89702-4D44-47C4-AE81-921CDBAB4DB0.jpeg

Sponsored

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good evening to all,

I had received the first over the air update to the UCONNECT System, earlier this year.and I had multiple problems with the software as seen in the videos I posted..

I wanted to update you of the progress since the second Over the air download was completed yesterday for my Uconnect system.

Fingers crossed, the system now seems to be operating 100% better then before this second update.

all of the problems in the videos Seem to be resolved, only time will tell for certain, I do drive a considerable amount and all systems seem to be working and they should be..

I will keep everyone posted but I do feel like my conversation with Courtney @ Jeep cares definitely had an impact on the software being pushed out over the air in my jeep.

.I am very appreciative as this is the first time in over a year that I’ve been able to listen to the radio, back up with the camera, or simply listen to XM without intermittent interruptions from the sound going in and out.

Again I will keep y’all posted, however this second update seems to have performed miracles on my Uconnect system.

Tim
That's awesome! Do you mind sharing what the version number of your UConnect software is?

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Good evening to all,

Tim

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Camera issue 78F52BF2-FEFD-40A4-A1EE-EFDCDBC22138

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Camera issue 78F52BF2-FEFD-40A4-A1EE-EFDCDBC22138
So you are saying there is hope? Light at the end of the tunnel 😎

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
So you are saying there is hope? Light at the end of the tunnel 😎
Yes sir, I do believe so, for me its been a long three years. I resorted to listening to music from my iPhone 11 pro with the ear buds for the last year.

I don't really understand why FCA / Uconnect has not fixed this problem sooner, however after three years of dealer service visits, hours of frustration on the phone with Uconnect support and their representatives... I received the first over the air update which made everything worse..... I really didn't think things could get worse, but Uconnect totally failed.

FCA Uconnect was no help, they simply ignored my emails and calls.

My last resort was posting the five video's on my post here in the forums and @JeepCares responded asking for my vin number. I again explained my problems to @JeepCares and the next day I received a noticed from them that I should be on the lookout for for an over the air download.

I was driving for about 30 minutes and when I turned the vehicle off, a notice flashed on the Uconnect screen that I had an over the air download. I selected install and when I returned from lunch the download installed. This is the SECOND over the air update,, I noticed an immediate difference.

All systems were operating correctly.....

Backup camera with words and lines - Working.
AM / FM / XM - Working.
Off Road Pages . Working.
iPhone connects via Bluetooth - Working
iPhone connects via USB - Working
Maps - Working (I'm no long in the pacific ocean)
Phone - working (No longer calling 911 on its own)

So, the second update is a WIN.

I again just don't understand why FCA / Uconnect makes it so hard and frustrating to get the update / FIX. Also this is a common problem, the dealer sales and service have to know it exists. I personally have been complaining for three years.

My advise is contact @JeepCares and ASK for the update. Send them your issue, your vin, and pic of your JL Uconnect software version. ASK for the over the air update.

I hope this helps you. Tim
Sponsored