Sponsored

Backup Camera issue

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I have a ‘21 Sahara 4xe - 1 month old. Same problem in terms of intermittent guidelines. I have to back down a tight driveway to get to the Level 2 charger. My solution is, every time I get home, I push and hold the power and tune buttons while saying “I still love my Jeep” ten times and waiting for a Uconnect reboot.... guidelines reappear while cultivating a deep appreciation for this awesome vehicle (no sarcasm - very impressed by everything so far except the intermittent guidelines issue).
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I'm very pleased with my 2021 Wrangler, EXCEPT for this back-up camera issue that still has no fix. Two trips to the dealer, with one overnight stay, and no resolution.

I also have a tight, tricky back-up situation I have to deal with on a regular basis and w/o the park assist lines, it's doubly tough.

Thing is, my 2017 Renegade has never failed to show the lines. It's a less expensive vehicle with a far less capable radio/electronics suite.

"Jeep Wave" called to inform me it's a software problem and a fix is "in the works" and should be out by mid June.

We'll see.

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have a ‘21 Sahara 4xe - 1 month old. Same problem in terms of intermittent guidelines. I have to back down a tight driveway to get to the Level 2 charger. My solution is, every time I get home, I push and hold the power and tune buttons while saying “I still love my Jeep” ten times and waiting for a Uconnect reboot.... guidelines reappear while cultivating a deep appreciation for this awesome vehicle (no sarcasm - very impressed by everything so far except the intermittent guidelines issue).
I always put it in reverse as soon as I turn the Jeep on and always get the guidelines. I do this even if I’m not going to backup. Give it a try.

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I always put it in reverse as soon as I turn the Jeep on and always get the guidelines. I do this even if I’m not going to backup. Give it a try.
yeah - doesn't work for me. essentially my backup lines never come on right away so i guess i have the exact opposite problem. one piece of news - I discovered that you can reset the system while driving, but definitely don't try while driving alone!

JeepJeepster

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I get the guidelines (rear camera), but they don't curve when I turn the wheel. With the front camera the lines move when I move the steering wheel.

Sponsored

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
WATCH THE VIDEO'S OF MY UCONNECT SYSTEM, THEN READ THE EMAILS.... FCA / JEEP IS AWARE, YET HAS NOT FIXED THE PROBLEMS.... GOING ON 3 YEARS.

Good Evening, I own a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited and I have had multiple issues with the Back up Camera and the U-Connect system, I have been to the dealer multiple times for these problems without a resolution. I have contact "Jeep Wave" and FCA / Chrysler who has a team who only works on the UCONNECT system issues. Since the day I left the dealer lot with my Rubicon I have had problems with this system which cannot be corrected. Jeep / FCA is well aware of the problems associated with the UCONNECT System and still do not provide a resolution. I have been told "Next Quarter, we will have a fix for the system, just be patient." Three years later.... No FIX, The above videos are a regular occurrence. I have an open case, and these video's have been submitted. yet no resolution to these issues. Jeep / FCA keeps selling this UCONNECT on the Wranglers without disclosure.
Ironically I paid for the UPGRADED larger screen system. Watch the videos and you will see. I will also add my emailed concerns to this response.

=================================
EMAIL TO FCA

Date: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: Drive Uconnect
[ ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z1A2TdP:ref ]
To: Sarah <[email protected]>

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Your case number is 77854307

I have attached FIVE (5) video links to this email.

There are multiple issues with the Uconnect.

1. GPS randomly shows me driving in the ocean or another state.
2. Screen freezes and does not allow you to change the radio station, XM, etc.
3. Screen freezes and reboots the entire system. Sometimes this happens multiple times, before you can actually use Uconnect.
4. Backup camera has black screen with words randomly.
5. Backup camera has black screen without words randomly.

I’ve been through multiple service advisors and service managers. Usually never the same person more than twice and most service advisors had little to no knowledge about the Uconnect or how to document the problems. I have been told to wait for the OVER THE AIR updates, but when is the last time UCONNECT did an over the air update on my Uconnect? Also I have been told to go on the web and download any updates only to go through the process of the download, follow the instructions, and the Uconnect tells me I already have the most up to date version. The latest information from John at the service department was last Friday, 12-04-20 who asked "Didn't we replace the radio?" I advised "NO", but John the service advisor did not read the service history and just recently returned to the rotation of service advisors who have helped me. The Service Manager came up to me last week and showed me a TSB from FCA which says, wait until 2021 for a new version of Uconnect.

NEXT EMAIL -
Mar 29, 2021, 3:38 PM

Good afternoon,

As of yesterday it looks like the Uconnect system has an entirely new problem.

Along with rebooting, screen locking, map shows me in the ocean, RADIO XM ETC on all formats have sound cutting out ever 2-3 seconds, the system calling arbitrary people using my phone service, loss of preset and saved favorite Contact's and many more issues.

Apple Car Play no longer works. Uconnect displays an error message on the Uconnect screen “device is not supported.” I have attached a picture of this message.

When can we expect some type of resolution to these problems with the Uconnect system?

Just about the entire system in my vehicle does not work. I paid a lot of money for the system and I expect a product that will work.

If you are not going to fix the problem in a timely manner then let’s start talking about replacement with a product that will work.

I have owned jeep for over two years now and I have not been able to use the product that I purchased.

I’m asking again that you get your supervisor involved or maybe even his supervisor involved.

I am tired of the empty promises of we are fixing it just wait until first quarter of 2021 is over.

First quarter is over in two days. Where is the resolution and the working product that I purchased?

Again maybe it is time to get the supervisors involved.

Tim
===============================

RESPONCE FROM FCA CASE MANAGER

Sarah Responded (FCA / CHRYSLER)
Case Manager.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Thu, Apr 1, 3:55 PM

Hi, Tim,

The first step of the three step update launched in Q1 of 2021. There is no timeline for one step two or step 3 will be released.

If you are experiencing vehicle concerns, please contact your dealership to have a diagnosis completed.

--

Sarah

Uconnect Case Management

1-800-826-6632 EXT. 3025449

================================

FINAL RESPONCE FROM FCA CASE MANAGER.
[email protected]
Apr 16, 2021, 5:45 PM

Hi, Tim,

Our processes have changed when it comes to updates for customers who are waiting for software updates.

We have created a queue for customer who waiting for step 2 and step 3. You will be notified via email when each step is released.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to resolve your concerns.

--

Sarah

Uconnect Case Management

1-800-826-6632 EXT. 302544

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
WATCH THE VIDEO'S OF MY UCONNECT SYSTEM, THEN READ THE EMAILS.... FCA / JEEP IS AWARE, YET HAS NOT FIXED THE PROBLEMS.... GOING ON 3 YEARS.

Good Evening, I own a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited and I have had multiple issues with the Back up Camera and the U-Connect system, I have been to the dealer multiple times for these problems without a resolution. I have contact "Jeep Wave" and FCA / Chrysler who has a team who only works on the UCONNECT system issues. Since the day I left the dealer lot with my Rubicon I have had problems with this system which cannot be corrected. Jeep / FCA is well aware of the problems associated with the UCONNECT System and still do not provide a resolution. I have been told "Next Quarter, we will have a fix for the system, just be patient." Three years later.... No FIX, The above videos are a regular occurrence. I have an open case, and these video's have been submitted. yet no resolution to these issues. Jeep / FCA keeps selling this UCONNECT on the Wranglers without disclosure.
Ironically I paid for the UPGRADED larger screen system. Watch the videos and you will see. I will also add my emailed concerns to this response.

=================================
EMAIL TO FCA

Date: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: Drive Uconnect
[ ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z1A2TdP:ref ]
To: Sarah <[email protected]>

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Your case number is 77854307

I have attached FIVE (5) video links to this email.

There are multiple issues with the Uconnect.

1. GPS randomly shows me driving in the ocean or another state.
2. Screen freezes and does not allow you to change the radio station, XM, etc.
3. Screen freezes and reboots the entire system. Sometimes this happens multiple times, before you can actually use Uconnect.
4. Backup camera has black screen with words randomly.
5. Backup camera has black screen without words randomly.

I’ve been through multiple service advisors and service managers. Usually never the same person more than twice and most service advisors had little to no knowledge about the Uconnect or how to document the problems. I have been told to wait for the OVER THE AIR updates, but when is the last time UCONNECT did an over the air update on my Uconnect? Also I have been told to go on the web and download any updates only to go through the process of the download, follow the instructions, and the Uconnect tells me I already have the most up to date version. The latest information from John at the service department was last Friday, 12-04-20 who asked "Didn't we replace the radio?" I advised "NO", but John the service advisor did not read the service history and just recently returned to the rotation of service advisors who have helped me. The Service Manager came up to me last week and showed me a TSB from FCA which says, wait until 2021 for a new version of Uconnect.

NEXT EMAIL -
Mar 29, 2021, 3:38 PM

Good afternoon,

As of yesterday it looks like the Uconnect system has an entirely new problem.

Along with rebooting, screen locking, map shows me in the ocean, RADIO XM ETC on all formats have sound cutting out ever 2-3 seconds, the system calling arbitrary people using my phone service, loss of preset and saved favorite Contact's and many more issues.

Apple Car Play no longer works. Uconnect displays an error message on the Uconnect screen “device is not supported.” I have attached a picture of this message.

When can we expect some type of resolution to these problems with the Uconnect system?

Just about the entire system in my vehicle does not work. I paid a lot of money for the system and I expect a product that will work.

If you are not going to fix the problem in a timely manner then let’s start talking about replacement with a product that will work.

I have owned jeep for over two years now and I have not been able to use the product that I purchased.

I’m asking again that you get your supervisor involved or maybe even his supervisor involved.

I am tired of the empty promises of we are fixing it just wait until first quarter of 2021 is over.

First quarter is over in two days. Where is the resolution and the working product that I purchased?

Again maybe it is time to get the supervisors involved.

Tim
===============================

RESPONCE FROM FCA CASE MANAGER

Sarah Responded (FCA / CHRYSLER)
Case Manager.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Thu, Apr 1, 3:55 PM

Hi, Tim,

The first step of the three step update launched in Q1 of 2021. There is no timeline for one step two or step 3 will be released.

If you are experiencing vehicle concerns, please contact your dealership to have a diagnosis completed.

--

Sarah

Uconnect Case Management

1-800-826-6632 EXT. 3025449

================================

FINAL RESPONCE FROM FCA CASE MANAGER.
[email protected]

Hi, Tim,

Our processes have changed when it comes to updates for customers who are waiting for software updates.

We have created a queue for customer who waiting for step 2 and step 3. You will be notified via email when each step is released.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to resolve your concerns.

--

Sarah

Uconnect Case Management

1-800-826-6632 EXT. 302544
@onpatrol99 - You got something major going on there. This is way deeper than just the backup lines. Your radio has NOT been replaced? That seems like the obvious fix to me! I would be very upset if mine were like that.

onpatrol99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
@onpatrol99 - You got something major going on there. This is way deeper than just the backup lines. Your radio has NOT been replaced? That seems like the obvious fix to me! I would be very upset if mine were like that.
I Agree, However Jeep / UCONNECT / FCA have failed repair these problems and just does not answer my request for assistance. Maybe someone from Jeep will watch these video's and help with this problem. But I have noticed Not even @JeepCares gets involved. The dealer points the finger at Jeep / FCA and the UCONNECT operating system and just keeps selling the product in the wranglers, Jeep / UCONNECT sends you back to the dealer. The dealer sends you back to Jeep / FCA / UCONNECT ... 3 years later, still no resolution. No Help.

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I just got a call from Uconnect Customer Care who said the 4xe has a known issue with its backup camera guidelines and that a software update (either OTA or USB, not sure yet) is expected to be released by the end of June. I will provide an update if/when it gets released or I get more info.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I Agree, However Jeep / UCONNECT / FCA have failed repair these problems and just does not answer my request for assistance. Maybe someone from Jeep will watch these video's and help with this problem. But I have noticed Not even @JeepCares gets involved. The dealer points the finger at Jeep / FCA and the UCONNECT operating system and just keeps selling the product in the wranglers, Jeep / UCONNECT sends you back to the dealer. The dealer sends you back to Jeep / FCA / UCONNECT ... 3 years later, still no resolution. No Help.

Good afternoon,

We came across your concerns and are sincerely sorry to hear about the experience that you've had so far. I'd like to look into this for you!

Please send our team a private message with your VIN and more details so we can get started.

Thank you in advance,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
@JeepCares can you advise on an update? Is the Mid June software update/resolution factual? This needs to be resolved.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Add us to the list....

2021 80th anniversary 2 door sport.

Just over 2k miles.

Backup camera just quit working.

Haven't tried the reboot process yet.....and haven't let it sit overnight yet.

But seriously? Should we have to???

Nothing ruins the joy of the shine of a new vehicle than stuff like this .

IMHO....too may electronic dependencies and gizmos these days.......Jeep is supposed to stand for rugged, capable......but going into reverse "too soon" offlines equipment????

Come on.

Will try the "stand on one foot, rub your head and wiggle your nose" process and report back.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Owned the Jeep for less than 24hrs: backup lines are now gone as well. Worked yesterday sitting in the dealer lot, no longer there as of today. @JeepCares - is this going to be an issue I need to go back to the dealer for, or will an update "fix it"?

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Stelvio, Tahoe, '56 Ford
@JeepCares -- Add one more to the list of backup camera issues, ranging from times of complete inoperability, to randomly disappearing guide lines. '21 JLUR. Had it about 5 weeks.

Please let us know when we can expect an fix!

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Add us to the list....

2021 80th anniversary 2 door sport.

Just over 2k miles.

Backup camera just quit working.

Haven't tried the reboot process yet.....and haven't let it sit overnight yet.

But seriously? Should we have to???

Nothing ruins the joy of the shine of a new vehicle than stuff like this .

IMHO....too may electronic dependencies and gizmos these days.......Jeep is supposed to stand for rugged, capable......but going into reverse "too soon" offlines equipment????

Come on.

Will try the "stand on one foot, rub your head and wiggle your nose" process and report back.
So when I went out to drive the jeep this morning it worked again

Yay. Working like it should on a $40k+ purchase after 2k miles .

So now I have to be paranoid about how quickly I shift into reverse after starting or else the camera won't work?

Definitely a disappointment .

Love the Jeep so far.....overall ....but this first problem (and some may feel it's not really a problem but it is) takes the luster off the purchase and ownership process.

Come on Jeep. DO BETTER.

As an aside, this is one of many reasons I will never trust autonomous cars or even that collision avoidance crap......

If simply shifting to reverse "too soon" can cause this camera system to malfunctioning for 12 hours, how can I trust this sort of technology to DRIVE the whole vehicle?? Lol.
Sponsored