Back window blow out

Gretchen

First Name
Gretchen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLUR with hard top. The back widow spontaneously blew out (exploded) not once but twice since I bought this Jeep in Sept. 2020. Both times it has happened it has been really cold. This morning I was looking out my kitchen window and it blew out minutes before I looked outside. 6 degrees this morning and think when the sun touched the glass it exploded. It makes me wonder if the struts for the window have to much pressure on the window when it's that cold. Has anyone experienced this before? It does not seem like I could be the only one. It happened last winter when it was this cold. These back window are expensive and I really do not want to replace one every winter.
Jeep Wrangler JL Back window blow out 111Broken
Sponsored

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
Just a thoughtā€¦. You mentioned the sun hitting it. Perhaps some shade is causing the sun to heat up one part before the rest causing an uneven expansion. Maybe you could park the Jeep with the window facing away or towards full sun. If not, Iā€™d throw a blanket on the back.
yeah, shouldnā€™t have to do all that, but we have to deal with what is. Like I said; itā€™s just a thought about what could be causing it.

OP
OP
Gretchen

Gretchen

First Name
Gretchen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a thoughtā€¦. You mentioned the sun hitting it. Perhaps some shade is causing the sun to heat up one part before the rest causing an uneven expansion. Maybe you could park the Jeep with the window facing away or towards full sun. If not, Iā€™d throw a blanket on the back.
yeah, shouldnā€™t have to do all that, but we have to deal with what is. Like I said; itā€™s just a thought about what could be causing it.
I was thinking the same thing. radical temp. change. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Gretchen

Gretchen

First Name
Gretchen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have heard of this happening, after the glass was replaced. Uneven tightening, or off centered a little.
That makes sense as well. When I have it replace I will mention this to the tech and get his thoughts. Thank you.

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Scroll down on this thread to the bottom and youā€™ll see a couple similar threads. I want to say the theory was the glass was under uneven tension and the additional stress of the cold was just too much. Iā€™d browse those threads to see what folks came up with because I want to say itā€™ll keep happening until you find the root cause. We have a bunch of members that have hard tops in very cold climates so if it was strictly the cold glass warming up too rapidly in the sun I feel like weā€™d be seeing a lot more of this. Isolated incidents says itā€™s something wrong with the glass install.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
Were there any accidents (that would affect the squareness of the top)? Also take a look at the tailgate (best alongside another JLU) to see that it's aligned properly. Something is likely putting tension on it.

...Or a rotten kid with a BB gun.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I really thought this thread was going to be about a soft-top rear window blowing out on the highway. :)

Spontaneously exploding is crazy. I get how a sudden temperature change could cause it, but windows should be able to take abrupt changes. A crack, maybe but exploding that violently is a real issue. And this is now the second time this has happened to you?

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been driving almost 50 years now and only had this happen once in a dang Minivan! I was out of town and I was driving at night when it blew out. Not sure what caused it to happen, it was night time and very cold but only like 10 degrees. At first I almost thought someone had shot at me. It was that quick a blow out.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I have a 2018 JLUR with hard top. The back widow spontaneously blew out (exploded) not once but twice since I bought this Jeep in Sept. 2020. Both times it has happened it has been really cold. This morning I was looking out my kitchen window and it blew out minutes before I looked outside. 6 degrees this morning and think when the sun touched the glass it exploded. It makes me wonder if the struts for the window have to much pressure on the window when it's that cold. Has anyone experienced this before? It does not seem like I could be the only one. It happened last winter when it was this cold. These back window are expensive and I really do not want to replace one every winter.
111Broken.jpg
Wow! This scares the crap out of me. It is really cold here and I mean really cold here. Twice this has happened to you! It was -9 Saturday morning and will get into the -40s in a couple months. I hope you find a reason this is happening To your Jeep. I suggest you park the other way and have the windshield into the morning sun šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø!

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Colorado friend!!! Woohooo!!!!!

I had an interesting experience similar in my Subaru. I was on I25 going down to Denver and it was 100+ degrees and a crack just spread across my windshield. It was wild. Nothing hit it, no chip, no rock sound, just a silent crack that I watched split my windshield, so strange.

Probably not but you have a lot of stuff in the back there, nothing was putting pressure on the glass when you closed the tailgate, right? Bizarre times we're living in here!

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Iā€™ve been driving almost 50 years now and only had this happen once in a dang Minivan! I was out of town and I was driving at night when it blew out. Not sure what caused it to happen, it was night time and very cold but only like 10 degrees. At first I almost thought someone had shot at me. It was that quick a blow out.
Happened to an oven door once. My mom and I were sitting in the living room and all of a sudden, CRASH! The glass on the oven door shattered and ended up all over the floor and in the door. Oven wasn't on or anything, drunk oven!
Sponsored