OP
Black Hills Jim
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Two times this happened in your driveway while the Jeep was parked? not even idling? I'd swivel that security cam around. Sounds like someone has it in for you. Find any BB's or pellets?
Camera is on the Jeep. I can try to load video. It just pops with nobody around. Pretty well liked in the neighborhood. I work on Hot Rods, smoke ribs for anyone that wants some, and only drink crafts. I love them dark and bitter...just like my wife!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any ideas?
Do you have a tailgate table or anything mounted to the tailgate? I'm asking because some block the tailgate vents. I'm wondering if perhaps that's causing some type of issue when the back glass is closed and you close your tailgate.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I thought... My flatulence is legendary, perhaps I have shared too much....
It is the true secret of why the hills are black... isn’t it Jim? LOL

In all seriousness, as others have said, something is making contact with the window that definitely shouldn’t. I would give credence to the current going thru the window especially if it can find an exposed metal point to make contact with.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Glass is dielectric. They make insulators out of it for higher current and voltage than your Jeep can create. However, I'd be curious if the window heater itself is getting an over current and overheating. Maybe have the installer leave the heater disconnected.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Glass is dielectric. They make insulators out of it for higher current and voltage than your Jeep can create. However, I'd be curious if the window heater itself is getting an over current and overheating. Maybe have the installer leave the heater disconnected.
This happens when the vehicle is parked and off, right? I don’t know how stray current could cause this issue with the Jeep off and parked.

Sponsored

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
Camera is on the Jeep. I can try to load video. It just pops with nobody around. Pretty well liked in the neighborhood. I work on Hot Rods, smoke ribs for anyone that wants some, and only drink crafts. I love them dark and bitter...just like my wife!
Howdy neighbor! Looks like I need to move to your hood! :CWL:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Hinges on top are “off “, maybe even the fiberglass, causing a bind when the gate is closed and the temp change finishes it off...??

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hinges on top are “off “, maybe even the fiberglass, causing a bind when the gate is closed and the temp change finishes it off...??
This is the most probable sounding cause I've read.

OP
OP
Black Hills Jim
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
This is a new idea...I like it. I'm going to do some measuring in the morning. It would not take much to cause constant pressure/tension and then apply temperature change.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

another thought. maybe they are over tightening the hinge at the glass. i read on the JK forum that its around 27 In lbs of torque. thats just past hand tight for most people. There should be a spacer as well if they dont line it up 100% it could cause it to shatter

Sponsored

OP
OP
Black Hills Jim
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
another thought. maybe they are over tightening the hinge at the glass. i read on the JK forum that its around 27 In lbs of torque. thats just past hand tight for most people. There should be a spacer as well if they dont line it up 100% it could cause it to shatter
Thanks Mav...I'm meeting with Safelite today to go over everything before install.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door hard top.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if my installer (Safelite) is doing anything wrong. Friday my lift gate glass just popped again. This is the 3rd time in one year...one year! I'm a grown man, I'm in my 50's...but I cried when I saw it this time.

This is what I know:
  • The last two times I have on my surveillance camera, no one is doing it. You can watch it explode on camera.
  • It has been cold. Not 15 below but 20's at night.
  • I get it repaired with the same company, Safelite. Same installer does the job (we have a relationship now)
  • I treat it with kid gloves, opening slowly and closing gently and only when I need to open the back.
  • They use the same hardware each time, same wiper and motor, same struts. I think the glued on parts are new?
Any ideas? I will take any and all advice, silly or ridiculous suggestions are encouraged. Has anyone had continuous issues with theirs after getting it replaced?

Thanks all...stay safe friends!
I see you are a mountain biker (from the rockshox sticker). Do you use a spare tire bike rack? Does the handle bar hit the rear window?

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I think it’s aliens, or big foots.

8D4B0E39-D9FC-4AF5-9B7C-761941D953E9.jpeg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I went out to look at my rear glass hatch. Surprisingly, the glass looks very rigidly mounted. I would have expected to see some rubber sandwiched in the glass mount side.

Heres some pix of the hinges. When everything is hard mounted, the axis alignment of the two hinges becomes more critical.

20200406_130219.jpg
20200406_130315.jpg
Sponsored