Superchips JL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jeep Team @ SC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yep and Superchips is getting frustrated because they can't figure out why it works on some JLs and not others, regardless of trim level. Last I heard they're about to throw in the towel and just print a statement on the product that some features may not work on all Jeeps.
To clarify, we won't abandon pursuing consistent functionality for this feature. We're exploring a variety of options. At this time, we're getting reports of the feature not working properly across specific models. We have assigned a high RPN number to this internally. It has been a tricky one. We are working through a plan and will share details as soon as they are available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To clarify, we won't abandon pursuing consistent functionality for this feature. We're exploring a variety of options. At this time, we're getting reports of the feature not working properly across specific models. We have assigned a high RPN number to this internally. It has been a tricky one. We are working through a plan and will share details as soon as they are available.
It has to go through the BCM because unplugging the door harness kills it. I'm confident that if you keep working on it, you'll get it figured out. The odd thing is why it works on some JLs and not others. Is it possible that after programming AutoPark to "off" that it takes a few key cycles for the setting to take effect in the computer?

Superchips JL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jeep Team @ SC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
It has to go through the BCM because unplugging the door harness kills it. I'm confident that if you keep working on it, you'll get it figured out. The odd thing is why it works on some JLs and not others. Is it possible that after programming AutoPark to "off" that it takes a few key cycles for the setting to take effect in the computer?
There are some various scenarios we are looking at now to replicate the issue on Jeeps where it is working consistently. We won't give up on it....certainly seems like a hot button for consumers. We're also exploring alternatives for those where it is not working to make things right for them.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
It seems clear that the Teraflex video was a misunderstanding. The problem appears to be seat belt and maybe a door not being closed; the proximity sensor is a red herring.

(And if you’re doing any driving other than a few feet in your driveway without a seatbelt I hope you have no children who will mourn your passing/have to pay your medical bills.)
You do realize that some of us probably drove without seatbelts for longer that you've been alive and we're still around, right?

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a system that was not very well thought out...

So, now you can prank someone by parking close to their vehicle and they won't be able to back out without getting out of the vehicle and *pushing* it? LMAO...

Shouldn't there be some sort of security concerns associated with this? If the vehicle can't move when the door is open, think of the case where you get into your vehicle in a parking lot and a carjacker comes up and opens the door to your car. Instead of just being able to drive away and let the door hit him as you back up, it sounds like now he would have stopped your car. Bad luck for the carjacker since that means that now I'll be forced to just shoot him instead of driving away.

Luckily, that's only on the automatic transmissions, so it won't affect the JL that I have on order, but if I had the misfortune to be driving an automatic, I would consider that as something that I would need to find a way around / defeat.

Oh, and I always start driving without my seatbelt on if I'm getting into my vehicle in a place where there might be people around. I do that for a couple of reasons... It means that I can more readily access my handgun since I am right handed and I carry it in the 3:30 position. It also allows me to exit my vehicle quicker and have more defensive options in the event of a carjacker.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You do realize that some of us probably drove without seatbelts for longer that you've been alive and we're still around, right?
Yep. What happened here is literally 1 or 2 people out of the 7 billion on Earth got ran over by their own Jeep, and now ALL of us have to suffer with yet another ridiculous safety feature. The problem was never people being unsafe. The problem was the shifter in those Jeeps. If FCA would get their crap together, we wouldn't need things like AutoPark.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. What happened here is literally 1 or 2 people out of the 7 billion on Earth got ran over by their own Jeep, and now ALL of us have to suffer with yet another ridiculous safety feature. The problem was never people being unsafe. The problem was the shifter in those Jeeps. If FCA would get their crap together, we wouldn't need things like AutoPark.
From what I've been able to determine, the problem is these electronic shifting things that they have these days. Instead of there being a physical connection between the shift lever and the transmission, you have the shift lever acting as nothing more than a fancy switch that tells the car's computer what to do. Of course, some of the kids around here will just say that I'm an old guy who refuses to accept technology. They don't realize that I have been designing electronic systems and the software that that controls them for probably longer than they have been alive. And even with this experience (or maybe *because* of it), I don't trust what these kiddie engineers are implementing. But then again, I come from a background of aerospace and DoD systems where we know very well that lives depend upon our designs working correctly.

And besides, we need to quit interfering with Darwin. From a genetic standpoint, it really is not good for us as a species.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Survivor bias. You’re still around to snark about seatbelts but many people aren’t. Just like most kids survived fine without car seats but more than a few didn’t.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Survivor bias. You’re still around to snark about seatbelts but many people aren’t. Just like most kids survived fine without car seats but more than a few didn’t.
So, I guess it sucks to be a survivor...

Hmmm.... Nawh, it doesn't...

Sponsored

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Wonder if a guy could jumper the seatbelt wiring to where it thinks its fastened. That may be the answer.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if a guy could jumper the seatbelt wiring to where it thinks its fastened. That may be the answer.
But that would probably affect something else since the kiddie engineers have thrown so many things into the vehicles these days.

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I hate AutoPark. Hate it hate it hate it! It's kicked in several times when I'm just trying to move my Jeep around in the driveway at home.
Mine is driving me nuts! Just pulled into a parking space, put it in reverse to straighten it out, and autopark. Stupid af.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I say we bring back asbestos...most people didn't die from that...couldn't have been all bad.
Asbestos is still used even today... Just not as carelessly as it was many years ago.
Sponsored