Auto Start Stop Timing

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yes it looks like some angry blogger with the big bold letters. I've done gone through stop signs right in front of police officers and have yet to get pulled over for moving a few inches. Now if I just mosied on through I fully expect to get pulled over.
I have to but I've had one give me a ticket at 3:30am while I was in route to fix a com problem at a railroad station which was kind of serious. I didnt blow it but I didnt come to a full stop either. I told him my situation, he could care less.

Funny thing was that same cop was stuck in a ditch and stopped and told him I didnt have time (or some excuse) to help but I would be glad to call his police station and get help. I got an emphatic "no that's ok". I called anyway since he must not have been thinking right. lol
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I know someone that has a Ford F-150 and if you don't want the start stop to work you have to push the button just like on the Jeep with each and every start.
Yep, the newer F-150s here at work are like that. Their ESS is far more aggressive than the Jeep's. Say you like to creep forward a few feet to close the gap? F-150 ESS will do an auto stop each time... and then it will start and stop multiple times at a solid red light for your air conditioner... :facepalm:

I do like how the Jeep will just stay on in those conditions.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Man, that's unreal, would definitely drive me nuts. And I thought the Jeep was bad. LOL
lol, I'm pretty sure my supervisor is going to punch a hole through the button.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I didnt know that. So they are government mandated to automatically have it so that it stops without intervention with a button? If so it's not jeep that's stupid but yet another government F-up. That makes more sense. I thought it was more a CAFE standard that companys had to meet one way or another and they had some license in how to go about it.
I think they can't use it in the tests if it doesn't default to ON each time. So basically it is government mandated. I'm pretty sure Jeep knows people don't prefer it this way. It's not just an oversight.

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
I've gotten use to the ESS for the most part. (Manual Transmission) I like to roll to stop lights (if I know I'm coming to a stop). The worst is when the light changes just as ESS is engaging. Pressing the clutch at that same moment, semi stalls the Jeep. You need to release and re press the clutch to get ESS to start up (or cycle the ignition).

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind ESS but I do wish it had a longer delay. Mine cuts off at incredibly inopportune times. Like pulling into my work parking garage while waiting for the gate to open. And when I park in my own garage it almost always shuts off, then back on when I put it into park, then I turn it off myself. Being soft on the brake is a little sketch when I'm a foot away from my interior wall or a parking gate. It'd be nice if it learned based on GPS or something. Like, no, I don't want ESS running in my 5PM rush hour stop-and-ago traffic driving home.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think they can't use it in the tests if it doesn't default to ON each time. So basically it is government mandated. I'm pretty sure Jeep knows people don't prefer it this way. It's not just an oversight.
I take everything I said bad about jeep and ESS. lol Now I can hate government even more. ;)

Interesting that it's a law yet companys can come up with defeats on it....did I say that out loud... ;)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I take everything I said bad about jeep and ESS. lol Now I can hate government even more. ;)

Interesting that it's a law yet companys can come up with defeats on it....did I say that out loud... ;)
It's not exactly a law. It's just that the manufacturers have to meet fleet MPG standards or they have to pay a penalty. And every lit bit counts. And when they test the MPG they can't use ESS unless it defaults to On at every start-up.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I don't mind ESS but I do wish it had a longer delay. Mine cuts off at incredibly inopportune times. Like pulling into my work parking garage while waiting for the gate to open. And when I park in my own garage it almost always shuts off, then back on when I put it into park, then I turn it off myself. Being soft on the brake is a little sketch when I'm a foot away from my interior wall or a parking gate. It'd be nice if it learned based on GPS or something. Like, no, I don't want ESS running in my 5PM rush hour stop-and-ago traffic driving home.
Yup, same here. I wouldnt be half as vocal on it if it had more of a delay. Our lights here are set up pretty well. Most times if you do stop it's only for seconds. So basically you stop, motor goes off and then immediately going again. The garage is the same thing.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question, can you use it if you want to now or is it totally disabled?
@nvabill

Works like the SSS. Remember's last button push state..

Only problem is the Tazer JL hiccups on occasion and forgets to do it's thing in regard to ESS.. Hopefully, future Tazer JL firmware updates will cure the hiccups.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ok, same as smart stop start except mine works perfect every time.
@nvabill

Indeed, the SmartStopStart never ever hiccups.... never.

For this reason I use a SSS unit for ESS disable and not my Tazer JL Mini which still has issues / hiccups with it's ESS feature.

BIGDOGS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sting Grey + '15 Cherokee Trailhawk + '17 Renegade Trailhawk
I have never had this happen. How long does it take you to put the gear shift in park? I pull into my garage stop, shift to park, press the stop button. ESS never has time to shut down the engine.

Maybe since I am slowly pulling into a garage I am not using heavy enough pedal pressure to make it activate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I pull in fairly slowly, then reach for gear shift as soon as I come to stop, and it shuts off..fast. I think I have a heavy foot on brake so am now playing with a lighter touch...we'll see if that belps!
Sponsored