TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've gotten used to A.S.S. (Aptly named I must say), but am I the only one that thinks a 3-5 second delay on it would be better. Many times I pulled up to an intersection, or in traffic, and in the mere second I came to a complete stop, the engine stops at the same time I take my foot off the break.

And the one that really kind of bugs me, is when I pull in to a parking spot and it shuts down before I can place it in park, at which time it cranks right back up again.

Seems a short 3-5 seconds delay before it stops would be beneficial.
Sponsored

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
What I have noticed and believe others have pointed out on the forum is that the engine cuts immediately if you apply heavy brake pressure when coming to a stop but it typically remains running if I use light brake pressure. Give that a try and see if it works for you.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
What I have noticed and believe others have pointed out on the forum is that the engine cuts immediately if you apply heavy brake pressure when coming to a stop but it typically remains running if I use light brake pressure. Give that a try and see if it works for you.
Agree with this, light brake pressure if you know you’re not stopping for long will keep it on

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I've gotten used to A.S.S. (Aptly named I must say), but am I the only one that thinks a 3-5 second delay on it would be better. Many times I pulled up to an intersection, or in traffic, and in the mere second I came to a complete stop, the engine stops at the same time I take my foot off the break.

And the one that really kind of bugs me, is when I pull in to a parking spot and it shuts down before I can place it in park, at which time it cranks right back up again.

Does anybody have a problem with their A.S.S. stopping and not restarting? I sometimes get the warning light
And sometimes it just stalls out. 2019 Sahara. Something comes up about the hood. Dealership replaced hood sensor and still have problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Does anybody have a problem with their A.S.S. stopping and not restarting? I sometimes get the warning light
And sometimes it just stalls out. 2019 Sahara. Something comes up about the hood. Dealership replaced hood sensor and still have problem.
Sounds like you need to leave it at the dealer until that’s fixed. That’s not safe.

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Agree with this, light brake pressure if you know you’re not stopping for long will keep it on
Couldn't figure out for the life of me why sometimes ESS wouldn't kick in. Turns out I was only on the brake hard enough to keep from moving forward. A little more pressure and it shuts down.

Now I know when I'll be at a light for awhile I'll push down harder. If I know it'll only be s short while, I'll go light on the brake to keep it running. Very cool.

BIGDOGS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sting Grey + '15 Cherokee Trailhawk + '17 Renegade Trailhawk

I totally agree! Maddening for it to shut off as I'm parking, only to turn back on before I put in Park and furn off. Need a delay!

BIGDOGS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sting Grey + '15 Cherokee Trailhawk + '17 Renegade Trailhawk
Couldn't figure out for the life of me why sometimes ESS wouldn't kick in. Turns out I was only on the brake hard enough to keep from moving forward. A little more pressure and it shuts down.

Now I know when I'll be at a light for awhile I'll push down harder. If I know it'll only be s short while, I'll go light on the brake to keep it running. Very cool.
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I've asked my dealer if they could place a delay in the system. Unfortunately, they said they couldn't. Too bad, if there were a delay, I'd use it more.....so very tired of placing Jeep in park to have it start-stop while I'm shifting into park. Unbuckling the seat belt while coming into park does work, but I'd forget that sometimes. Better just to hit the disable button when I start the jeep and not use it at all. Poor design!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Since we've already covered the light brake pressure for quick stops, let me address the parking situation. When I park, I shift into neutral as I stop(less than 1 mph and foot is on the brake). The ESS will not autostop if the selector is not in drive. Once I am fully stopped I complete my shift into Park, then shut the engine off.

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
One shouldn't have to change the way one drives in order to accommodate this stupid system. The same thing happened to me the other day--I was literally stopped for about 1 second but in that time the engine shut down and restarted. Dumb! I was actually just as annoyed with myself for forgetting to push the opt out button. Gotta get that Smart Stop Start installed ASAP!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One shouldn't have to change the way one drives in order to accommodate this stupid system. The same thing happened to me the other day--I was literally stopped for about 1 second but in that time the engine shut down and restarted. Dumb! I was actually just as annoyed with myself for forgetting to push the opt out button. Gotta get that Smart Stop Start installed ASAP!
Its the best way to use the system effectively. Light pressure to avoid an auto stop at a stop sign (And we all just roll through these anyway) and once you're at a solid red light just press a little more to have the engine shut off.

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
Its the best way to use the system effectively. Light pressure to avoid an auto stop at a stop sign (And we all just roll through these anyway) and once you're at a solid red light just press a little more to have the engine shut off.
Yeah, I can see it already: "Well, officer, I rolled through that stop sign so that my fancy shmancy eco-saving auto stop start system wouldn't kick in. Really!"

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I can see it already: "Well, officer, I rolled through that stop sign so that my fancy shmancy eco-saving auto stop start system wouldn't kick in. Really!"
lol, I didn't say blow through, but honestly do you come to a solid absolutely no movement stop every single stop sign?
Sponsored