Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Simply stating that he has quite the following after you were negative about the video. You posted one and then said, "Someone that actually speaks reasonably". Seems to me a whole lot of folks think they both do.
The fact of the matter is, Scotty Kilmer's mind is focused on older tech cars and shouting into the camera somehow gets you views(as evidenced by some of these clowns that have millions of subscribers). As I've stated before The 3.6 in the JL is designed for this application, the Corolla he's using in the video isn't. So of course, older vehicles won't be able to take the ESS well, but newer ones designed with this in mind will be able to use it effectively.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Someone that actually speaks reasonably.

Apples and oranges. One is talking more about wear tear breakage (my ESS already did break) and saying the mpg gains arent worth it while trying to be more entertaining. The other speaks (also TRYING to entertain) about nothing but mpg and it matches the what the other guys numbers are.

If city driving and mpg is THAT much of a concern why in the world would one own a jeep. The first video guys point is spot on. Get the vehicle that suites the situation. ESS is a half arsed concept, owning a jeep with one just might be considered full arsed. A jeep with big tires and lift is full big arsed. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The fact of the matter is, Scotty Kilmer's mind is focused on older tech cars and shouting into the camera somehow gets you views(as evidenced by some of these clowns that have millions of subscribers). As I've stated before The 3.6 in the JL is designed for this application, the Corolla he's using in the video isn't. So of course, older vehicles won't be able to take the ESS well, but newer ones designed with this in mind will be able to use it effectively.
No he talked about both types of engines. His focus was quite wide vs the young geek and his narrow focus. Nothing wrong with either focus just saying what each was about. I found both informative and enhances what I already know to be true.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There you go putting him down instead of discussing the issue which is, can the use of start stop lead to premature engine component wear and failure? Me personally am not going to take the chance so I disable it, like I said personal preference. I'm not saying you are wrong by using the start stop but it is wrong for me.
Saying his mind is focused on older tech is not putting him down. If I had problems with the carburators on my motorcycle I'd look to him for advise. He's very much into the sensationalism of Youtube by following formats that get the most subscribers (shouting and speaking very quickly). His older stuff from when he was on TV was not like his youtube content.

On older vehicles yes, the Starting and stopping can lead to premature wear, as they weren't designed to do that. These new ones are designed to take the starting and stopping. Thats why its an upgraded version of the 3.6 and not the older one. The reason why there are two batteries. The reason why the starter is a much higher quality. The reason why it has a pretty high pressure oil pump ect ect.

If you don't like ESS and you have it disabled, then fine. You just can't use a focus on older tech to justify it. As a matter of fact just not liking it is reason enough.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If city driving and mpg is THAT much of a concern why in the world would one own a jeep
Well, I moved back home to a much bigger city and my truck wasn't cutting it for city driving. When it came time to replace that vehicle I downsized. Went from averaging 16 to averaging 22... not that hard of a concept.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You know I will have to give you credit. After reading your previous posts I went and looked up the starter for the new JL with start stop and it does look much more modern and beefier than previous years. Guess they did some planning on the system but you are right, I just don’t like it so I disable it.
Lol, well at least we came out of this with a better understanding of each other.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running both the Tazer and SSS module since mid January when I did this compare https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-smart-stop-start-showdown.21707/and have had zero issues and since I got rid of my fog lights during my bumper upgrade I’m only using the Tazer for tire size and tpms limits and have considered several times to sell my Tazer and just use the SSS module, my speedo was only off by 5mph at 65 and I can adjust for that by remembering and the tpms alarms are easy to deal with, maybe the next time I go in for service I’ll pull my Tazer and see how things go without it after service is done.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Well, I moved back home to a much bigger city and my truck wasn't cutting it for city driving. When it came time to replace that vehicle I downsized. Went from averaging 16 to averaging 22... not that hard of a concept.
A better concept would be at least 30+ mpg vehicle if one is wringing their hands over itI

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You know I will have to give you credit. After reading your previous posts I went and looked up the starter for the new JL with start stop and it does look much more modern and beefier than previous years. Guess they did some planning on the system but you are right, I just don’t like it so I disable it.
I havent looked up the starter beefiness to see if true, I automatically assume it's BS. :) whether true or not I cant help but think starting and stopping so quickly cant be that good for a motor. But even if that isnt true ESS still sucks operationally and has TONS more failure points that I have experienced from day one of ownership. And I know for a fact I will have another failure coming up when the itty bitty battery takes a poo. Cant wait to replace that fun little hidden cutie pie. lol And that second failure is likely only the beginning given all the other sensors and relay this POS has. ;)

Yeah if you drive in the city with a gas hog jeep you will likely save a little piglet of gas but the that savings will be trumped by the upcoming failures and grief. lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A better concept would be at least 30+ mpg vehicle if one is wringing their hands over itI
Like the Honda, and the Yamaha?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some people actually do obey the law.
The absolute letter of the law every single time? I stop and I check, if it is safe I go. If I move a few inches while I check, I'm not breaking the law. If it is not safe, I apply full brake pressure and allow an ESS shutdown and then go when it is safe.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
@KrispyKotex
@TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

You can be given total control of ESS if you install a SmartStopStart, ESS Disabler. The SSS takes about 10 min to install, easy to do.

Not pricey at all considering what it will do for you over the years you own your JL. With the SSS no more playing games ...like ... press pedal lightly, roll to stop in neutral, press two buttons at start, unfasten seat belt as you go to park, yada, yada..

Also, when you sell your JL, you will be able to sell your SmartStopStart unit here or on Craigslist, etc.. You will get back probably 3/4 of the $ you spent on the SSS. So, with this said, for very few $, you can say bye bye to ESS headaches now.

SmartStopStart is a forum Sponsor. @SmartStopStart.com , thank you for the SSS and for being a sponsor here.

smartstopstart.jpg
They want $150 for a device that turns on or off the ESS and it's not pricey? That is the definition of overpriced. That is waaaaay to much. I'd expect something like that to go for $50-$75 at the most.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The absolute letter of the law every single time? I stop and I check, if it is safe I go. If I move a few inches while I check, I'm not breaking the law. If it is not safe, I apply full brake pressure and allow an ESS shutdown and then go when it is safe.
So. The law says complete stop. Not "few inches". While I'm not going to say crap about a rolling stop, we both know there are some officers out there who would.

For the record, I do a complete stop each time. I have the advantage of having a manual, however, and don't have to worry about ESS shutting me down.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I totally agree! Maddening for it to shut off as I'm parking, only to turn back on before I put in Park and furn off. Need a delay!
I have never had this happen. How long does it take you to put the gear shift in park? I pull into my garage stop, shift to park, press the stop button. ESS never has time to shut down the engine.

Maybe since I am slowly pulling into a garage I am not using heavy enough pedal pressure to make it activate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored