Sponsored

Auto start/stop bypass question

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
It's common knowledge that the worst thing you can do to an internal combustion motor is start it. Once the motor is running it can literally run for weeks with less wear and tear than starting it several times in one 15 minute trip across town. The money you save on gas will be spent x 2 on repairs. Yes I know its all about smog...…that's something we don't have in Iowa.:)
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
It's common knowledge that the worst thing you can do to an internal combustion motor is start it. Once the motor is running it can literally run for weeks with less wear and tear than starting it several times in one 15 minute trip across town. The money you save on gas will be spent x 2 on repairs. Yes I know its all about smog...…that's something we don't have in Iowa.:)
A warm start that takes place during ESS is nowhere near the wear of a cold start. That's a false equivalence. ESS doesn't kick in until many criteria are met - temps, battery charge level, etc.

And while you might not have smog where you are, my area frequently has hazardous air quality in the summer. Every little bit helps.

Personally, ESS is a non-issue for me - the engine is already up and running before I even shift into first so it never interferes with my takeoff from stop lights. I can understand it being annoying for automatics without the BSG system in the eTorque engines - I tend to disable ESS in the rental Pacificas I get from time to time because I don't like the delay at lights.

I guess I don't understand the rage-level hatred of ESS on this forum. It helps save a little gas and emissions. If you don't like it, spend a half second to poke the ESS button that's directly adjacent to the ignition button. People are also mad about the increased cost of the vehicle due to the beefed up components for ESS (that's probably in the dozens to hundreds of dollars cost for the OEM) but don't bat an eye on dropping hundreds on lifts, wheels, tires, bumpers, winches, and all sorts of cosmetic doo-dads. The majority of Wrangler owners don't modify and use it as a daily driver, so ESS is a direct benefit for them.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I read this post online that said if you put a 6 or 7-round trailer light tester in your hitch, the vehicle computer thinks you're towing a trailer and will not activate the ESS. I tried it and it works. The ESS stays off and you do not have to mess with it. And, no error message/light on the dash. I have not seen any issues with it....
I read that too, but must have missed the 7 pin note. I pull a little 4 x 8 trailer all the time with a the 4 pin plug and ESS never acted differently. I just assumed the thread was wrong. I guess I should have read more carefully. Good tip, thanks.

And unrelated, but I'll leave this ↓↓↓ here for you. :blush:

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto start/stop bypass question 1589470666147

Not too often you come across MLS fans. Gotta say hi when I do.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The way I remember the thread, it just needs the plug. If I find it again I'll link it.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I drive an accord hybrid. I've gotten really used to not having any engine noise while sitting at a stop light, its a lot more peaceful. When i rented a jeep last year, it had ESS, and while it wasn't the smoothest of ESS systems out there, i didn't mind it too much. the time from lifting my foot off the brake to stepping on the pedal, the engine was running. I think what most jeep owners probably find annoying is that you can actually hear the starter turn a couple times, where most cars seem to avoid this nuance by having the engine just seamlessly start.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... I think what most jeep owners probably find annoying is that you can actually hear the starter turn a couple times...
For me it's definitely the lag. It's not a long delay, but it's there. The sound isn't my issue, but maybe if I left ESS on it may get annoying.
Don't take this to mean I drive quickly, or aggressively. I drive like a little old man so the lag shouldn't bother me. Even so, it still does.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I'm so in the habit of hitting the button after the start button that I very rarely forget to do it. Maybe once every 25-30 drives I might forget but once it shuts at a light bam goes the button. Such garbage.
I'm with you. My last 5 cars all had ESS, and it just became a habit to push the button from the moment I fire up the engine, and is for me in no way different than the habit to buckle up.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
It will always revert to the "on" status unless there is something else causing it to not activate. In addition to the previously mentioned hood sensor, there are many variables that turn it off such as the battery level, temperature, and about 10 other things that I can't think of right now.
Here is the list:
•Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
•Driver’s door is not closed.
•Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
•Battery charge is low.
•The vehicle is on a steep grade.
•Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
•HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
•HVAC set to MAX A/C.
•Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
•Engine temperature too high.
•The transmission is not in a forward gear.
•Hood is open.
•Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral.
•Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.

Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
•Accelerator pedal input.
•Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous auto-stop.
•Steering angle beyond threshold. (ESS Models Only)
•ACC is on and speed is set.
•Vehicle is at high altitude.
•System fault present.
Sponsored