Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't know what tiptronic is.
Tiptronic is actually the trademarked name for Volkswagen's automatic transmission that allows the driver to manually select a gear using paddle shifters or the gear lever itself.

Jeep uses "AutoStick" to describe the same functionality with the 850RE. That's the term that folks here will recognize.

As "Clickbaity" as this sounds, I'm already convinced that I will eventually get my hands on one.
I've the same Start/Stop eliminator harness in my Jeep, and it's perhaps the best C-note that I've spent for/on the vehicle. Yes, it's paying for convenience -- something I tend to avoid -- but here I'm glad to have done so.

More to the point, that particular harness doesn't require using the OBD (diagnostic) port, which is preferable in my view.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
My rig came with a button on the dash. One click and no ESS. Not much more difficult than the button I push to start my rig each time.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
@GtX
My rig came with a button on the dash. One click and no ESS. Not much more difficult than the button I push to start my rig each time.
Yeah, I thought that too (at first), but I'm a dumb ass, and would forget, then realize it at the first stop that I had forgotten. I'm more than happy to pay the price for another thing I don't have to remember to do, but that's me, because 100 bucks is easier to come by than learning a new skill. :LOL:

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
@GtX
Yeah, I thought that too (at first), but I'm a dumb ass, and would forget, then realize it at the first stop that I had forgotten. I'm more than happy to pay the price for another thing I don't have to remember to do, but that's me, because 100 bucks is easier to come by than learning a new skill. :LOL:
or remembering to do things...

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@GtX
At least the Jeep ESS disable button is simple to get to, but like you I tend to forget :( We have a new VW that has the bypass button on the passenger side of the shifter, the shifter blocks the lit button so I can't remember if I pushed the damn thing and can't see if it's lit or not :headbang:
I think they make a bypass plug-in for that model too, so hopefully Santa will put one in my stocking. Love the Tazer in our JL, at least it's one less thing to forget if I forgot!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I tend to have a light foot on the brake at stops. ESS only engages about 1 in 10 times for me when I drive normally. Then I have it stop once and it's the reminder to push the button. I'm at year 3 on the ESS battery (but only 18000 miles) but now that I've bragged, it will surely fail soon.

I'd do the Genesis dual setup, but I haven't liked their connect/disconnect logic since I first read about it. And more recently, I've read about their use of an energized relay drawing a significant load to join the two batteries, while its just sitting. I had a dual battery system in a truck that just kept the spare battery charged and ready for a dead main battery. If I needed power from the spare to start it, I had to either use jumper cables or swap positions of the batteries. I could have added a heavy cable and a marine type battery switch, but the need was non-existent. My current philosophy is to just carry a jump pack. Much cheaper.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Question---will a brake light in the receiver plugged into the trailer lighting jack shut of E.S.S.? Is E.S.S. shut off towing a trailer with trailer lights connected?

DaveL

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
If you set your climate control to "low" then the ESS is disabled as the vehicle can never reach that temperature. Works great for the time of year not using AC or heat.
Sponsored