Sponsored

Auto start/stop bypass question

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm assuming the seat belt comment was a joke.
At least I hope so, because I laughed when I read it.
Nah man, you're supposed to shoot yourself up with disinfectant.

Does no one understand humor anymore??

Anyway, I love my Tazer...adjusted for my 38's, disabled TPMS and ESS. The more nannies I can disable the happier I am...all while drinking disinfectant and not wearing my seatbelt of course....but I definitely always wear a face mask while cruising around with my windows up and doors locked.

If anyone can't sense sarcasm in PARTS of this, please add me to your ignore list or PM me and I will instead add you to mine
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Nah man, you're supposed to shoot yourself up with disinfectant.

Does no one understand humor anymore??
:CWL::LOL:
We seem to be few and far between. And yes I laughed at that too and don't forget the UV lights. Obviously it was humor.

And on the topic of the Tazer. Have you used it for the "light show"? I saw they said it can be customized. Can you set it to strobe just the rear, and/or amber lights? It'd be really cool to be able to use a strobe feature in lieu of the standard blinking hazard lights. If so I might actually have to pull the trigger on a Tazer after all because it does multiple things that would be nice to have.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I'm not sure what the real issue is - I'm still waiting for my new Jeep to arrive maybe once I have it the answer will be clear. Why would i want or not want the "Bypass to Start / Stop" ???

Sponsored

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
Hello all! Has anyone installed a quality bypass to this PIA?
thank you
I don’t understand the need for doing anything except pushing the button to disable the Smart Start/Stop system. I have a 2018 JL Sport S and the button stays in the last position it was in even after power off and restarting of the engine. So what’s the big deal to disable the system once and for all with a single push of the button!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I don’t understand the need for doing anything except pushing the button to disable the Smart Start/Stop system. I have a 2018 JL Sport S and the button stays in the last position it was in even after power off and restarting of the engine. So what’s the big deal to disable the system once and for all with a single push of the button!
Because 99.9% of them revert back to being on when the ignition is cycled. Seems that your's is defective.

Later,
Johnny

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not sure what the real issue is - I'm still waiting for my new Jeep to arrive maybe once I have it the answer will be clear. Why would i want or not want the "Bypass to Start / Stop" ???
Many people don't want the ESS active. It's not a bad feature, but to some (including me) the engine shutting off every time you stop is inconvenient and/or annoying. In which case you push the button and the problem is solved. It's that that big a deal, but if the engine shutting off when you stop doesn't bother you, there's absolutely no reason to turn it off.

If yours stays at the last state it was on after start-up then it is modified or something isn't passing the checks that allow it to work.
Neither FCA or their dealerships can set it to be in the off status upon start-up per EPA guidelines. This isn't a setting they can toggle. The feature is intended to save fuel and emissions based on CAFE standards. If FCA were to allow it to default to the off position they can't count the minimal savings the feature provides. In which case they would have to do something else to save that fuel and emissions to meet federal standards.
It will always revert to the "on" status unless there is something else causing it to not activate. In addition to the previously mentioned hood sensor, there are many variables that turn it off such as the battery level, temperature, and about 10 other things that I can't think of right now.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm just glad that they put the button in so we can "modify" the vehicle and turn it off if we want to. They get to keep their EPA rating, and we aren't stuck with ESS if we don't want to use it. It's just a matter of pushing the button every time.

Another trick to "disable" ESS is to be soft on the brake. If you hold the brake just hard enough to remain stationary, but not hold the pedal down hard, the engine won't shut off. It doesn't take long for this to become a habit, and the ESS never triggers even though it's still turned on. I've driven miles before pressing the pedal a little harder then normal and he engine shutting off. Completely free, no modifications needed, no warning lights. Just a small change in how you hold the brake down.
To be clear, you can still press as hard as you want to come to a stop, but you ease up when you are at a complete stop. Some people say it feels weird the first few times trying to find that sweet spot but it becomes second nature. I've never really mashed the pedal down when I'm stationary so it was pretty easy for me to hold without ESS turning on.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've never owned a push button start vehicle before this year. Why yes, I DO live under a rock...nah, it's just I've owned old cars ('til now).

When I start my Jeep (it's a manual, so no remote starting), I use the Batmobile start-up sequence as a mnemonic. As I push the start button and the engine turns over, I say, "Turbines to speed," and then, as I push the ESS disable button, I say, "Atomic batteries to power." I know in the old Batman TV show, the phrases are reversed, but the engine turning over feels more like a turbine, and the "A" on the ESS button seems to go better with "Atomic batteries".

Since I've never owned a push button start vehicle, training this monkey to push two buttons instead of just one has been pretty easy. And I do get some minor amusement from the Batmobile startup sequence, so I haven't decided to disable ESS, yet. I've only had the Jeep for three days, let me think about it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just glad that they put the button in so we can "modify" the vehicle and turn it off if we want to. They get to keep their EPA rating, and we aren't stuck with ESS if we don't want to use it. It's just a matter of pushing the button every time.

Another trick to "disable" ESS is to be soft on the brake. If you hold the brake just hard enough to remain stationary, but not hold the pedal down hard, the engine won't shut off. It doesn't take long for this to become a habit, and the ESS never triggers even though it's still turned on. I've driven miles before pressing the pedal a little harder then normal and he engine shutting off. Completely free, no modifications needed, no warning lights. Just a small change in how you hold the brake down.
To be clear, you can still press as hard as you want to come to a stop, but you ease up when you are at a complete stop. Some people say it feels weird the first few times trying to find that sweet spot but it becomes second nature. I've never really mashed the pedal down when I'm stationary so it was pretty easy for me to hold without ESS turning on.
What I don't understand is.....isn't it more work to have to concentrate on your breaking every time you stop than to just push the button once when starting up?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've never owned a push button start vehicle before this year. Why yes, I DO live under a rock...nah, it's just I've owned old cars ('til now).

When I start my Jeep (it's a manual, so no remote starting), I use the Batmobile start-up sequence as a mnemonic. As I push the start button and the engine turns over, I say, "Turbines to speed," and then, as I push the ESS disable button, I say, "Atomic batteries to power." I know in the old Batman TV show, the phrases are reversed, but the engine turning over feels more like a turbine, and the "A" on the ESS button seems to go better with "Atomic batteries".

Since I've never owned a push button start vehicle, training this monkey to push two buttons instead of just one has been pretty easy. And I do get some minor amusement from the Batmobile startup sequence, so I haven't decided to disable ESS, yet. I've only had the Jeep for three days, let me think about it!
Ha ha., I love it, but it's only done right if you're dressed like Adam West while you do it.

What I don't understand is.....isn't it more work to have to concentrate on your breaking every time you stop than to just push the button once when starting up?
Not for me it isn't. I've never really held the pedal down hard to begin with, so I don't have to focus on it. The act of braking is unchanged, the only thing you need to be aware of is how much pressure you're applying while completely stopped. If you have a light foot like I apparently do you don't need to focus on it.
I discovered this "trick" by accident. My ESS wouldn't always turn on and I didn't know why. One day I figured out that it had to do with how hard I was (or wasn't) holding the brake. I paid attention to my foot pressure for about a week and now ESS rarely turns on even without thinking about it. When it does it reminds me to push the button to disable it. Light braking while stopped becomes natural pretty fast. At least it did for me, but I had already been doing it to some extent so it may take a little more "practice" for some people. In which case pressing the "atomic batteries" may be less work.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I read this post online that said if you put a 6 or 7-round trailer light tester in your hitch, the vehicle computer thinks you're towing a trailer and will not activate the ESS. I tried it and it works. The ESS stays off and you do not have to mess with it. And, no error message/light on the dash. I have not seen any issues with it.

I ended up with a 7-pin round plug with a 4-pin adapter for my ATV trailer. Works the same way and no problem with disabling ESS.

I do not like the ESS system either since it uses the battery and starter motor more than you need to. I can forgo the MPG gain for less use of the electrical components.

Just my 2 cents.......

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
I've never had a vehicle with start stop before and I used to make fun and throw shade when at a stop light and I heard the car next to me start up when the light changed. But after a few months with it I dont even realize the start stop anymore.
Sometimes I take my foot off the break when someone is crossing in front of my car just to keep them on their toes. LOL
Sponsored