Audio system issue - cutting in and out

cbournis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mine just started cutting in and out today. I’m in So Cal and it’s in the 80’s so it’s not weather related. My wrangler is 3 weeks old with a few hundred miles on it. What is the procedure to reset the U Connect ?...Id like to try that before driving to the dealer
Pull fuse 97... then put it right back in....
Sponsored

Rmartinson

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Mine just started cutting in and out today. I’m in So Cal and it’s in the 80’s so it’s not weather related. My wrangler is 3 weeks old with a few hundred miles on it. What is the procedure to reset the U Connect ?...Id like to try that before driving to the dealer
yes I have read some other posts from owners in warm weather states that are having issues as well. All I know is mine started acting up a few weeks after I got the Jeep new last November. I had the issue all through the winter. It went away when the warmer weather came in the spring and I had no issues all summer until a few weeks ago when it started getting cold again. So my thought is the cold may not be the number one factor that triggers the issue but I think it still may have something to do with it. As far as resets I did not have any luck with any of them. You can read about different resets to try through out this blog if you page back. Good luck.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
I’m in the same boat as you. I had issues all winter and they all went away with the warmer weather. But as the temps drop in MN, the issues return. I did speak with a guy on here who had his camera replaced but that was in the spring. He said it took care of the issues. I’m anxious to hear if his issues return. I also had a Jeep Cares case open but am sure it’s been closed since I had no issues all summer. Keep us posted.
Rory
My camera was replaced in March 2019....no problems since then, although the backup lines can disappear if you shift to reverse before the system boots up. But they re-appear at the next shift to reverse. FCA knows its the backup camera causing the problem.

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
FYI

This issue has returned as well for the RAM owners. See my posts here:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...t-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/page-2
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/page-12

@Brent - by any chance can you pull up your service record to see what exactly they did? I'm wondering:
- if the camera part numbers are shared between the JL Wrangler and the DT RAM 1500s.
- if the camera part number changed between manufacturing and your replacement.

Because if its a matter of replacing the camera, and FCA dragging their feet with it - I'm at the point of replacing the camera myself.

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
All

Here is a report out on the software update for TSB 08-001-19 REV. A: After update, lost the Off Road Pages. Talked with Jeep, Uconnect, and Sirius, they kept pointing the fingers at each other. Took the vehicle back to the dealer. They tried for 3 hours to get the app back that was missing. No luck. They ordered a new radio. Should be in today (10/24). Hopefully that will fix the app issue. Now for the worst news. Last night my vehicle sat outside for about 4 hours. The temp was 41F. When I started the vehicle and put it in reverse, NO LINES. I turned the radio up.. and the audio was doing the usual cutout. On for 1 second, cuts out for .5 second. So sad to say, the software update did not fix the issue.

Sponsored

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI

This issue has returned as well for the RAM owners. See my posts here:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...t-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/page-2
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/page-12

@Brent - by any chance can you pull up your service record to see what exactly they did? I'm wondering:
- if the camera part numbers are shared between the JL Wrangler and the DT RAM 1500s.
- if the camera part number changed between manufacturing and your replacement.

Because if its a matter of replacing the camera, and FCA dragging their feet with it - I'm at the point of replacing the camera myself.
Here's what was replaced on our Wrangler in March. I will lose backup lines occasionally if the system is not booted-up before putting the Jeep in reverse.
FCA knows it's the camera. My dealer had the FCA service representative in, explained the problem and the rep said to order and install a new camera.
Jeep RO.jpg

purplehaze227

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It's cold now here in WI and mine is acting up.
Has your camera replacement solved the issue?

cbournis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Not cold in New York yet... I'll let you know next week...

Envy_Jeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Cold weather today started mine again after no issues all summer. Ive talked to @JeepCares, and the dealer, NO HELP!

Sponsored

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
UPDATE - POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND

Before reading the update, here are a few tidbits:

1. The issue comes when its cold. This is confirmed by DT RAM 1500 and JL Jeep Wrangler owners.

2. The only way for it to "reset", is to:

a. Wait for the truck to sit for 30mins+ (giving uConnect to restart from boot - you know when you get the "warning" splash screen with the "accept" button to skip".

b. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery or pull the radio fuse - this also makes you have to go through a few procedures in order to get your settings back (after connecting the battery and starting the truck, shutdown the truck and close the door, then restart the truck, voila your theme settings among other things are back).

So we all know the issue returned when the temperatures dropped. This completely rules out a software issue, as software isn't affected by temperature (unless something is programmed). So none of the current software TSB's will fix this. There is a theory on the rear camera causing the issue, but part numbers between RAM 1500s and Jeep Wranglers are different, where the Jeep's camera saw a revision in part numbers. There is also a factor of common programming between the cameras (regardless of hardware part numbers), or bad wiring, possibly causing this issue.

Thinking about temperature, what do our trucks do when the temperature drops to a certain threshold? They tend to rev higher at startup-idle, and I'm sure a circuit or two must open or close somewhere to make that happen, among other things to get these engines to start in cold weather. Also thinking about what most of us do when we start our trucks in the cold - we crank the heat. But what happens when we're done our drive from point A to B? Usually the heat isn't cranked that high anymore, probably set at low or medium heat to maintain a comfortable temperature.

So I've been testing this theory for the past 2 weeks. BEFORE you shut down your truck, set the heat to the highest setting. So in my 8.4" Nav uConnect, I have dual zone climate control. I set both (set at sync, so they change together) to *HI* before shutting down the truck. So far, given the weather in Autumn weather in Toronto, Canada (about 2-3*C in the morning, reaching about 9-10* in the afternoon) the issue hasn't returned.

I'm asking everyone with this issue to try this - if we all can concur then we have a better basis of figuring out the issue, seeing that FCA/RAM doesn't seem to be resolving this issue for us - even after one year.

TL;DR - set the heat to the HIGHEST setting (both if you have dual-zone climate control) in your truck *** BEFORE *** shutting down your truck. Report back if it comes back.

purplehaze227

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I did this last year without success but am willing to try again.
My current plan after talking to my dealer is to take it to them when it's acting up (probably tomorrow) and have them disconnect the camera while running and see if this resolves the issue. They were pretty much in agreement with this.

UPDATE - POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND

Before reading the update, here are a few tidbits:

1. The issue comes when its cold. This is confirmed by DT RAM 1500 and JL Jeep Wrangler owners.

2. The only way for it to "reset", is to:

a. Wait for the truck to sit for 30mins+ (giving uConnect to restart from boot - you know when you get the "warning" splash screen with the "accept" button to skip".

b. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery or pull the radio fuse - this also makes you have to go through a few procedures in order to get your settings back (after connecting the battery and starting the truck, shutdown the truck and close the door, then restart the truck, voila your theme settings among other things are back).

So we all know the issue returned when the temperatures dropped. This completely rules out a software issue, as software isn't affected by temperature (unless something is programmed). So none of the current software TSB's will fix this. There is a theory on the rear camera causing the issue, but part numbers between RAM 1500s and Jeep Wranglers are different, where the Jeep's camera saw a revision in part numbers. There is also a factor of common programming between the cameras (regardless of hardware part numbers), or bad wiring, possibly causing this issue.

Thinking about temperature, what do our trucks do when the temperature drops to a certain threshold? They tend to rev higher at startup-idle, and I'm sure a circuit or two must open or close somewhere to make that happen, among other things to get these engines to start in cold weather. Also thinking about what most of us do when we start our trucks in the cold - we crank the heat. But what happens when we're done our drive from point A to B? Usually the heat isn't cranked that high anymore, probably set at low or medium heat to maintain a comfortable temperature.

So I've been testing this theory for the past 2 weeks. BEFORE you shut down your truck, set the heat to the highest setting. So in my 8.4" Nav uConnect, I have dual zone climate control. I set both (set at sync, so they change together) to *HI* before shutting down the truck. So far, given the weather in Autumn weather in Toronto, Canada (about 2-3*C in the morning, reaching about 9-10* in the afternoon) the issue hasn't returned.

I'm asking everyone with this issue to try this - if we all can concur then we have a better basis of figuring out the issue, seeing that FCA/RAM doesn't seem to be resolving this issue for us - even after one year.

TL;DR - set the heat to the HIGHEST setting (both if you have dual-zone climate control) in your truck *** BEFORE *** shutting down your truck. Report back if it comes back.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did this last year without success but am willing to try again.
My current plan after talking to my dealer is to take it to them when it's acting up (probably tomorrow) and have them disconnect the camera while running and see if this resolves the issue. They were pretty much in agreement with this.
I believe having the dealer disconnect the camera makes the most sense. 22 degrees here in Minnesota this morning and mine, with the camera replaced in March of this year is still good.

cbournis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
First cold morning of the season and it looks like the camera replacement was the winner! For anyone having this issue just have them swap out the cameras.

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First cold morning of the season and it looks like the camera replacement was the winner! For anyone having this issue just have them swap out the cameras.
3 degrees Fahrenheit this morning in Minnesota, mine is still working. Camera replaced in March 2019.
Sponsored