Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
A few details on my removal of the stock Alpine sub enclosure for inspection and upgrade:

There is one single screw holding the enclosure to the body. It is located at the front of the enclosure nearest to the rear seat:
I used a t20 bit for removal.

I also removed the rear rubber seal at the rear swing gate.

Next I removed the seatbelt plastic surround and began to pry on the enclosure with my hands and pressure until all of the clips had released. I used where applicable, panel tools and pry tools but ultimately could not get the bottom post clip to release. Why?
The are 6 unique round main clips attaching the enclosure to metal posts. These are very difficult to release. I ended up cracking it on the bottom post clip but was able to get it out without destroying the clip

There are also several standard clips, these easily release.

Is has a single harness that is easy to unclip. Once this is complete, I was able to pull it out and inspect.
It does have a screw at the back of the enclosure mounting the subwoofer to the enclosure.

Sub removal: T30 bit, 8 hex screws.
There are four wiring harnesses to the sub inside the enclosure connecting the sub to 4 coils(?)

Green, Orange, Gray and Brown (+ and -)

I posted a few pics of the main components as well as the front and back of the enclosure, the rear of the sub and of the enclosure inside.

Hope this can some way help someone else.

Thanks, this does help!
Sponsored

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I posted a few pics of the main components as well as the front and back of the enclosure, the rear of the sub and of the enclosure inside.

Hope this can some way help someone else.

AD8FD2AA-D7C8-4495-A002-4FEC19F600FD.jpeg

DC6B4401-9643-4A25-A267-DBBABE1FAF36.jpeg

160AF0CC-BC47-4B9D-9512-B4791BF52885.jpeg

ADFB47C8-4CF7-48EB-B9AB-71773FFEEE08.jpeg

324E76B0-2619-42F7-8BFC-6DE3D0748D48.jpeg

D2DF3EBB-B621-4E2C-B577-E83C03E2CE72.jpeg

90CD7628-FB05-465C-854A-DE1ECD3AF6F0.jpeg

91798F9B-9AF2-4AAE-B48F-562785019802.jpeg
These pics are all very helpful for when I go through my install, thanks for these! Couple of questions though: any mounting clearance issues with the new jl sub mounted in the stock alpine box? Did you use polyfill? How is the bass response from the new setup? How are the GB40s on midbass duty..do they go low enough?

Bskylerj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Avalanche, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
I just got my JLUR back from the installers. Although I had the Alpine Premium system, I wanted a little (lot) more. My requirements were: The head unit stays, no custom looking additions (lights, etc...), and no permanent alterations. The system sounds totally amazing now with or without the top! Here is what I put into the jeep:

Front knee panel: Audiofrog GB40
Dash: Audiofrog GB15 tweeter
Sound bar: Audiofrog GB40 and GB10 tweeters
JL audio VX800/8i amp for the mids and tweeters
JL audio 10TW3-D4 subwoofer
JL audio XD300/1v2 amp for subwoofer
PAC ampPRO amplifier replacement interface

Don't get me wrong, the Alpine was fine, but this is 1000X better!
IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg

Are you happy with the one 10 inch TW3 or do you wish you would have two of them in there?

Saf3enough JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I just got my JLUR back from the installers. Although I had the Alpine Premium system, I wanted a little (lot) more. My requirements were: The head unit stays, no custom looking additions (lights, etc...), and no permanent alterations. The system sounds totally amazing now with or without the top! Here is what I put into the jeep:

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
I am installing the same JL 10" subwoofer in the stock location, how did you make it fit? The opening seems to be for a 12" sub. I noticed that you have an adapter ring different than the stock one. Can you please let me know where did you buy it from? As of now, a 10" does not mount on the opening, it is smaller and needs an adapter. Thanks in advance.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
OCBuckey - Thanks for the pics. This explains why i couldn't get the sub out after removing the 8 torx on the front. All I wanted to do was stuff some Polyfil in the cavity, but not worth it for a quick job today. Thanks!

Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
I know I'm a little late to this one but could you tell/show where the ap4-ch41 is mounted?

I'm in the process of doing my JT stereo and had wanted to mount it the the back of the glove box but there's not enough clearance..

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I am installing the same JL 10" subwoofer in the stock location, how did you make it fit? The opening seems to be for a 12" sub. I noticed that you have an adapter ring different than the stock one. Can you please let me know where did you buy it from? As of now, a 10" does not mount on the opening, it is smaller and needs an adapter. Thanks in advance.
Was this ever answered?

gs4jd

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited High Altitude Diesel
JLUS non Alpine owner here...Any idea where I could pickup the OEM Sub enclosure/mount? I'd like to be able to put a 10" in there down the road and I like how it conceals it and takes up less space.
I have one , I would be willing to unload. Have the whole alpine system

Sponsored

willhayward

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
Did they make the custom spacer between your sub and enclosure? If so, can I get the contact info so I can get one made?

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
Did they make the custom spacer between your sub and enclosure? If so, can I get the contact info so I can get one made?
I would also like to know where they got/made adapter plate. Would be interested in getting one also.

DirksRubi

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
The sub install looks absolutely fantastic. Do you have any rattles when the bass is working as even the stock lower powered sub on the upgraded Alpine pushes some rattles here and there. Plus, the stock sub also has a mounting screw in the center of the magnet. I can't see your installers drilling into 10TW3. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated as I would hate to go through the work to find that the panel can't handle the more powerful sub.

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase