Sponsored

Anyone have TSB 09-012-22 performed on their 3.6 for spark knock and misfire CEL?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think you’re chasing the wrong thing here entirely. There’s nothing wrong with those spark plugs. You have a rocker arm bearing or lifter down.
Sponsored

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
I think you’re chasing the wrong thing here entirely. There’s nothing wrong with those spark plugs. You have a rocker arm bearing or lifter down.
I would agree with you and they said “what knocking noise”…

I have 2-3 months before my warranty is done… since it is only powertrain, dealerships won’t do anything until my Jeep is on fire or won’t start. I’m just hoping if something is going to go wrong that it happens very soon… my thought is they will find something if they had to start cleaning it out.

My mpg has also dropped a very large amount. I am only getting 13 mpg or less on 93. I have a 2-3 inch lift and 35’s but my mpg’s were never this bad.

OP
OP
N.C. Jeeper

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Yes! The spark knock sounds like a jingling, or imagine dragging a chain behind the Jeep. Very distinct. I dropped in the dealer today unexpectedly to check on mine. Mine had the lifter/rocker tick also but not as prevalent as @1988JDFJeep. They determined that the intake lobes on the right side cam shaft on mine are severely worn down. Due to locked up rockers and/or faulty lifters. Left side seemed ok. So this could potentially be what’s plagued @1988JDFJeep as well. I was having the ticking, loss of power, loss in gas mileage, and getting the p0300 multiple cylinder misfire CEL.

Last edited:

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
Yes! The spark knock sounds like a jingling, or imagine dragging a chain behind the Jeep. Very distinct. I dropped in the dealer today unexpectedly to check on mine. Mine had the lifter/rocker tick also but not as prevalent as @1988JDFJeep. They determined that the intake lobes on the right side cam shaft on mine are severely worn down. Due to locked up rockers and/or faulty lifters. Left side seemed ok. So this could potentially what’s plagued @1988JDFJeep as well. I was having the ticking, loss of power, loss in gas mileage, and getting the p0300 multiple cylinder misfire CEL.
I was told this by the parts guy when I was asking him questions on the phone like 3 months ago. The service department didn’t want to do anything unless there was a very clear issue because it’s under powertrain warranty. They tried to have me give them the okay to replace my plugs for $500 and I said no for obvious reasons. They were just trying to make sure they wouldn’t lose more money if they did open it up and didn’t t find anything. Needless to say the appointment I have for March 7th is at a different dealership.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I would agree with you and they said “what knocking noise”…

I have 2-3 months before my warranty is done… since it is only powertrain, dealerships won’t do anything until my Jeep is on fire or won’t start. I’m just hoping if something is going to go wrong that it happens very soon… my thought is they will find something if they had to start cleaning it out.

My mpg has also dropped a very large amount. I am only getting 13 mpg or less on 93. I have a 2-3 inch lift and 35’s but my mpg’s were never this bad.
You said you had a bad coil code shown? What code?

I believe you have compression loss and a failing engine.

Sponsored

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018

They said everything was fine when they did the tests…. I guess it will be very interesting to see what this other dealership says. If they tell me it is clear as day what the issue was and the tests they run easily identified the issues… I will have some choice words for the service department at that dealership. I was looking to purchase a Wagoneer later this year but will likely avoid giving them the sale.

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018

I can’t remember if it was the same P0305 code or not. I may have figured at 43k miles it couldn’t be the spark plugs because I have never had to change spark plugs this soon. Either way I believe it to have been bad because I actually put that coil back in as well and my engine misfired with very little effort.

I also discovered a coolant leak from my radiator as well… 43k miles and this thing feels like it is falling apart which is sad. First brand new vehicle I purchased and I have had more issues than the used cars I purchased in the past with the same mileage. It’s a good thing it has been paid off for a year now.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
If a dealer heard your Jeep and did anything other than pull the valve cover or order a new engine, they did you wrong.

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
If a dealer heard your Jeep and did anything other than pull the valve cover or order a new engine, they did you wrong.
I completely agree with you. I started to think maybe I was the crazy one? As I mentioned in my post before, the parts guy interrupted me when I was telling him my symptoms and the things I did to it. Before I could say anything else he goes “sounds like bad lifters or rockers and it is fairly common”. It’s sad the parts guy knows more than the 2 service managers and techs that looked at my Jeep the previous two times.

I didn’t mention it but I will now since this is 100% related but again… thinking I am the crazy one… there is a slight glitter/sparkle to my oil when I changed it a couple months ago.

Here’s to hoping it has to be completely replaced because I would rather not deal with future issues down the road which are likely depending on how bad everything looks.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I completely agree with you. I started to think maybe I was the crazy one? As I mentioned in my post before, the parts guy interrupted me when I was telling him my symptoms and the things I did to it. Before I could say anything else he goes “sounds like bad lifters or rockers and it is fairly common”. It’s sad the parts guy knows more than the 2 service managers and techs that looked at my Jeep the previous two times.

I didn’t mention it but I will now since this is 100% related but again… thinking I am the crazy one… there is a slight glitter/sparkle to my oil when I changed it a couple months ago.

Here’s to hoping it has to be completely replaced because I would rather not deal with future issues down the road which are likely depending on how bad everything looks.
I would push for complete replacement as well since it happened under warranty. Jeep gets their money back out of it by remanufacturing the engine anyway. There’s really no loss for them.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey, I think I am dealing with the same issue as you.
I only have 43k miles on my 2018 ut as you can see, I don’t drive very long distances everyday and when I do drive it’s only 15 miles or so.

I was originally having a misfire and bad coil codes thrown. I replaced the coil and the misfire still continued. I then pulled the plug in cylinder 5 and it had oil on it (pic of all 6). While pulling the intake manifold I noticed oil at the bottom of the throttle body. Once I removed that I could see a pool of sludge right at the front of the intake manifold. Looking at the manifold once I got it completely off I could see that it was just coated in sludge. I cleaned it completely since that couldn’t possibly be doing the engine any good. I put everything back together and the misfires have continued but only upon hard gradual acceleration in most cases. The engine will lose some power and buck/shudder? Sorry, best I can describe it.

I have been to the dealership twice and have performed tests on the engine with the results being “looks good”… so far they have told me it’s because I used aftermarket parts (Bosch spark plugs) and a duralast coil… I swapped the coil around and the misfire stayed in cylinder 5 so that wasn’t the case. The plugs though… I really haven’t found much on people having issues so who knows but I did order MOPAR ones. I am hesitant to put them in now after reading your story.

I think I have had a slight spark knock or ticking for some time now but thought it was maybe a heat shield or something because I only heard it in the summer driving past houses with the windows down. I have attached (too large to attach…) a video of what it sounds like just sitting at idle and with a little throttle. This is exactly what it sounds like while driving and is very noticeable at lower rpm’s but doesn’t go away, it’s just less noticeable

I have also since seeing the amount of oil in my intake installed an oil catch can to hopefully stop the amount of oil going into my intake.

I still have my powertrain warranty but was wondering how they covered this for you. I found and printed out the TSB to hand to the dealership.

@JeepCares what are your thoughts and can you assist?

thanks - Jon

1D1FF383-31CD-4140-8444-1C54264FD43D.jpeg
Thanks for tagging us. Feel free to send a private message with more details and we can discuss.

Kate
Jeep Cares

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Man I just realized you said you used Bosch spark plugs. Why, when the oem champions are so cheap? Bosch makes a terrible spark plug.

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
Man I just realized you said you used Bosch spark plugs. Why, when the oem champions are so cheap? Bosch makes a terrible spark plug.
I have used them in probably every car I have owned since I was 18 years old and never had an issue with them. I was just trying to get it fixed and I got them the same day. This was before Christmas and I feel much safer driving the wrangler in snow than the equinox company car. Either way I don’t think they have much to do with the issue I have been having. This has probably been an issue for a year now but up until recently didn’t have misfires or any check engine light of any sort.

Not sure if I mentioned it already or not but I heard a slight ticking early last year spring or so and just thought it was a heat shield or something rattling because I only heard it in 1st gear at low rpm’s. I could only heard it when driving through my neighborhood with the windows down and the sound bouncing back from the houses.

Just hoping there Is a positive outcome of this because I don’t feel like spending my bonus on new engine. Money better spent getting my family into a new house.

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
Also, all of my previous cars were GM’s so maybe that’s why… and 1 ford.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Do you have more details on this TSB? I just had an engine failure in Australia and the catch can was blamed for it causing oil ingestion.
Sponsored