Sponsored

Anyone have TSB 09-012-22 performed on their 3.6 for spark knock and misfire CEL?

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m not sure if you’ve ever been to Oklahoma, but it’s flat as can be. My JL doesn’t go off road though.
Most of Oklahoma is flat but there are more than a few places to wheel and plenty of locations where you can put a wrangler on a steep angle. (Yes, I’ve been to them!) I’ve read this entire thread and your lousy, unhelpful and rude responses aren’t helpful to anyone here seeking to make their Wrangler run better and last longer. Since you don’t wheel and aren’t helpful, maybe your time would be better spent trolling the mall crawler threads. You sure haven’t been useful here!😖

To those having the spark knock issue, my 2021 JLUR is currently in the shop (dealer only because it’s under warranty) for the TSB repair. The only thing that’s required to initiate the TSB is a customer reported spark knock. They don’t even have to be able to replicate the issue themselves. It also includes a different PCV valve than was originally installed. Yes, a PCV valve can block liquid oil from passing through contrary to another poster’s assertion. It can also be designed to reduce the amount of airflow to reduce the amount of oil vapor passing through. Even in high tilt situations it could even be closed electrically using the tilt sensors built into the Wrangler.(not saying the new one does, but it could)

Chemical cleaners can have a significant impact on fuel system health, but carbon inside a combustion chamber is extremely difficult to remove. And even if it can break some of it off the resulting carbon grit on the combustion chamber, cylinder walls and exhaust areas can contribute to scouring and more issues down the road. More engines die from ingesting abrasive particles than ever died from running old oil. We used to drip water down through the carbs to break off the carbon deposits on really carboned up engines. It worked on older, sloppy clearance engines but might likely ruin a modern tight clearance engine.

Catch cans are a cheap alternative to fixing the oil blow by issue and more than a few have dumped oil directly into the intake when run on high angles or rough situations. Broken pistons and rods have been reported when this happens. Consider them a bandaid but not the best long term solution.

I’ll have my JL back next week so I’ll try and get some pictures myself of the work in progress and post back here.

Final note to those with vehicles out of power train warranty. I read one thread on this issue where the owner was way out of the power train warranty and Jeep Cares was working with him to get the TSB done no charge. Keep calling, keep emailing, keep posting to get them to fix the issue. I have mentioned the spark knock to four dealers when I took it in for other issues and Jeep Wave oil changes and they all gave it back to me with the dreaded “could not duplicate complaint” comment and no mention of the TSB. This last one was about to do the same so I dropped by the service managers office and we talked at length about the problem. He was the only dealer employee to take the time to research the issue and found the TSB and agreed to do the repair. Good luck with your Jeeps!

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what the dealer found when they performed the TSB repair.
No more knock…so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have TSB 09-012-22 performed on their 3.6 for spark knock and misfire CEL? 20231117_124722

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is recommended in the owner’s manual. All oil changes so far have been at dealerships under the Wave program.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
This is what the dealer found when they performed the TSB repair.
No more knock…so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have TSB 09-012-22 performed on their 3.6 for spark knock and misfire CEL? 20231117_124722
Holy moly. How many miles were on the engine before you had it cleaned?

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy moly. How many miles were on the engine before you had it cleaned?
Only 26,000. 😢 Very little interstate/highway driving…mostly local and wheeling.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
That’s brutal, has the knocking gone at least?

Is there a video of how to use BG? I believe there’s a tool to inject it a certain rate, or should a shop be doing this?

I did seafoam myself.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping… would appreciate some advice, this knocks gotta go. I’m considering making some calls to the big city or cross into the US to get this done….. if it’s getting the knock.

@mwilk012 you have a lot of hands on experience

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Bumping… would appreciate some advice, this knocks gotta go. I’m considering making some calls to the big city or cross into the US to get this done….. if it’s getting the knock.

@mwilk012 you have a lot of hands on experience
I wouldn't say "a lot". We work on all makes and models.

BG's intake cleaner / fuel injector cleaner takes special tooling, its a shop job. You have to disable the fuel system, tie into the fuel rail, run the engine entirely on their chemical concoction while simultaneously spraying metered chemicals across the throttle plate. It smells awful.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know what this costs in the USA? Around here I’m seeing intake cleaning for DI engines but not much specific to combustion chamber.

bsanders21

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just dropped off my 2018 to be looked at with P0300 and P0302 and it sounds dry with the ticking, like the video posted. Only 59,700 miles but out of warranty based on years.

Any luck or advice in having this covered at such low mileage? The service advisor didn't give me much confidence. Best path for contacting Jeep Customer Care?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just dropped off my 2018 to be looked at with P0300 and P0302 and it sounds dry with the ticking, like the video posted. Only 59,700 miles but out of warranty based on years.

Any luck or advice in having this covered at such low mileage? The service advisor didn't give me much confidence. Best path for contacting Jeep Customer Care?
An independent mechanic would likely be much cheaper for a cam/rocker replacement. If it's still a driver, you might comparison shop the repair.
Sponsored