CEL & engine knock - and $746 hasn't fixed it

Ellbee410

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I'll try to do the short version of my situation. 2019 JLU, 75,000 miles, no previous engine issues.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting what I call a knock from the engine after it warms up, between 25-45 mph, then coasting, then hitting the gas. And yes, I have ticking, but this is definetely more of a knock. Ran a bottle of Techron through - I do this fairly regularly - but got no improvement. About a week later it added a Check Engine Light to the equation. Had O'Reilly check codes that showed "P219A Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance". They thought it was bad fuel. Put in 1/2 can of Seafoam and topped off with 10 gallons of Premium fuel. No improvement.

Out of ideas, I took it to a highly rated shop near Charleston (we're here for birth of grand baby #1) and they charged me $746 to do spark plugs and a "Fuel Injection Plenum Gasket" again, without any improvement. Took it back to the shop the next day and the tech said they "couldn't hear a knock" after a 20 mile test drive. Tech was obviously hearing impaired. CEL didn't come on during their test drive but it did on my way back home. Needless to say, my dealings with that shop are officially over.

Closest Jeep dealership's first available appointment is 8 days out. Research on here and other websites indicate maybe a PCV or EGR issue.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ellbee410

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Same...the P219A " Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance"

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Two easy things to check/inspect to cross off list of things that it could be is…

1. Make sure the oil cap has a good seal and is seated correctly.
2. Make sure the oil dipstick is inserted fully and seated correctly.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You’ll probably need significant diagnosis and engine work. At the very least, removal of one valve cover to inspect the camshafts.

OP
OP

Ellbee410

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
It's the 3.6.

Oil cap and dipstick are all fully seated.

Forgot to mention that on the way home I put another 10 gallons of 93 octane in and the rest of the Seafoam. IF it is bad gas, how long would/could it take for the premium and Seafoam to make a difference? I've seen posts saying it might take a couple tanks of Premium before any improvement if it is icky gas.

OP
OP

Ellbee410

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Nope, no fuel sample.

Wife and I were discussing that techs these days seem to rely on the codes they pull and not listening to the customer explain the problem. That's part of the reason I haven't taken it to a dealer yet. I only saw the tech once in the 10 hours (over 2 days) that I was at the shop. When I tried to explain to him what had been happening he had a blank, indifferent stare and walked away...no other questions.

In my mind the shift from "mechanic" to "tech" has not been an all-around winner. The best at this profession these days might be the ones who are a mix of both mechanic and tech, which is hard to find.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Techs generally are not and should not be allowed to talk to customers.

Sponsored

JALC396

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I'll try to do the short version of my situation. 2019 JLU, 75,000 miles, no previous engine issues.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting what I call a knock from the engine after it warms up, between 25-45 mph, then coasting, then hitting the gas. And yes, I have ticking, but this is definetely more of a knock. Ran a bottle of Techron through - I do this fairly regularly - but got no improvement. About a week later it added a Check Engine Light to the equation. Had O'Reilly check codes that showed "P219A Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance". They thought it was bad fuel. Put in 1/2 can of Seafoam and topped off with 10 gallons of Premium fuel. No improvement.

Out of ideas, I took it to a highly rated shop near Charleston (we're here for birth of grand baby #1) and they charged me $746 to do spark plugs and a "Fuel Injection Plenum Gasket" again, without any improvement. Took it back to the shop the next day and the tech said they "couldn't hear a knock" after a 20 mile test drive. Tech was obviously hearing impaired. CEL didn't come on during their test drive but it did on my way back home. Needless to say, my dealings with that shop are officially over.

Closest Jeep dealership's first available appointment is 8 days out. Research on here and other websites indicate maybe a PCV or EGR issue.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I am having the same issue replaced the spark plugs have been running seafoam and other additives in the gas and replaced the pcv it has not gone away and I will clear the code after doing each step and it comes right back within a day.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have them drop engine oil pan and look for sparkles..Kinda like Granet Chrystal. Mine has air fuel codes as well as O2 sensor code when the cam washed out. Good luck hope this is not what your dealing with. Picture of what mine looked like.

Screenshot_20221215_134640_Photos.jpg

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I don’t have any specific diagnostic info in front of me at the moment, but IIRC that code is specific to bank 1 (pass side). At least one cylinder is out of whack with the others on that side. Vacuum leak, injector, valve sticking, worn cam lobe, etc. It won’t have anything to do with systems that impact all cylinders (bad gas, loose/missing caps, etc.).

OP
OP

Ellbee410

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Really don't have much of an update, but on the current tank of premium and Seafoam, there is LESS knocking but it's still there. Runs great other than the knock.

My next question is can I continue to drive it for another 2 weeks or so? We're helping out with our new grand baby in SC and headed to FL after Christmas. We are full-timers in our motorhome so it will be towed behind it to FL but we'll probably put a couple hundred more miles on it before we head south. I can't get an appointment in SC that will work with our schedule but once we get to Central FL I will have more options.

Baffled as to why an engine that has had regular service done without fail would have this kind of problem, especially one with a pretty solid reputation.
Sponsored