Anyone else order a tech stripper?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
On my special-order XR, I decided to skip the safety packages, navigation, and forward camera. Obviously, I understand that these things all have their place. Active safety is great in many circumstances, but I use my Jeeps primarily for overlanding, where the technology doesn’t really come into play. Same with NAV; I prefer aftermarket solutions. And I’ve never been sold on the front camera. Tried it on a Gladiator; didn’t love it.

So I wound up ordering a $60k+ Jeep without a lot of technology options. Probably a weird build, but I’m curious if others have taken a similar path?

(To be clear: I’m not judging anyone else’s choices. We all have our reasons! Just trying to figure out how weird my build might be.)
Not weird at all. I got a Rubicon 4xe with only the cold weather and tow packages. To me, soft top, MIC fenders and cloth seats are preferred offroad over any upcharge anyway.
Sponsored

wesjtx

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
On my special-order XR, I decided to skip the safety packages, navigation, and forward camera. Obviously, I understand that these things all have their place. Active safety is great in many circumstances, but I use my Jeeps primarily for overlanding, where the technology doesn’t really come into play. Same with NAV; I prefer aftermarket solutions. And I’ve never been sold on the front camera. Tried it on a Gladiator; didn’t love it.

So I wound up ordering a $60k+ Jeep without a lot of technology options. Probably a weird build, but I’m curious if others have taken a similar path?

(To be clear: I’m not judging anyone else’s choices. We all have our reasons! Just trying to figure out how weird my build might be.)
Me - on my XR the only options are XR, required eTorque V6 & Auto, and dealer said proximity key was also required. But that’s it, coming from a TJ this will already have 10 times more gadgets than I’m used to. It’s all I need. Apple CarPlay is the thing I’m most looking forward to.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I ordered and got my 2019 JLUR without some of the options I felt I did not need or felt would be costly to add then replace when damaged, or replaced by mods/upgrades/aftermarket. I did get the 8.4 Navigation for the bigger screen but found the navigation lacking vs Gaia, OnX, and Car Play apps such as Google Maps etc. Also did not get anything that you don't get with the base Rubi, and no leather interior either. No regrets.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Yep. That’s why I went with a Willys Sport, mine’s stripped down even more than yours…crank windows, manual door locks and no safety nanny assistance. It’s a Jeep not a lifeless Tesla! 👍
Congrats on your order.
If I didn't have little kids, I would have ordered the Willys sport as well. I ended up getting the Willys with manual trans, soft top, LED lights (the standard lights are horrible at night), and the 7in screen since it was included in the quick order package 23W. But I did get the Aux buttons and the towing package since I wanted the heavy-duty alternator for the hot Arizona summers.

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
Not at all, I love having the adaptive cruise control for long trips.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Look at the tow package which includes a bigger alternator and auxiliary switches. Best bang-for-the-buck option out there. Even if you don't plan to tow anything g, it's a great mount for bike racks or cargo carriers.
This was EXACTLY my rationale for getting it. Plus I thought to plan ahead for the future if I want to add more lights on the bumper or in the rear.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Well, hmmm... Manual windows and locks. Small screen, no nav or safety set or dash cam. Auto trans, LSD, 3.6 without e torque. OEM wheels and tires. Yup, mine's a stripper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone else order a tech stripper? Jee

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

Yep I ordered my 2021 JLUR hardtop with 2.0T auto with cloth seats and only aux switches, tow package oh and basic 7” screen. Why because my 2020 JLUR that had every extra accessories option box checked had so many electrical issues it had to be bought back within 8 months. It only took one of the whiz bang electrical special options to short and it caused a cascade of failures and shorts to most of the rest. It was ugly!! So for me less is more, just simple and easy. I do miss the heated seats and larger display screen just a little.

If at the time (4 months ago) they had the XR package I would have done the same.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ordered my 2021 JLUR pretty bare on tech. 6 speed, leather, cold weather group, tow group, dual tops and painted fenders. I didn’t check any tech or advanced safety boxes. Very happy with the build.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Willys Sport with the tow package for the battery, alternator and switches, and AC because my wife insisted. I didn’t want power windows or locks and couldn’t care less about a big screen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
John VonJeep

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Folks should remember that you don't get a bigger alternator if you order Tow with eTorque.

Because eTorque Wranglers don't have an alternator.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Folks should remember that you don't get a bigger alternator if you order Tow with eTorque.

Because eTorque Wranglers don't have an alternator.
Thats a very good point. I never considered that point before. Also the Unlimited Rubicon and other models come with the 220amp alternator. So moving up to the 240amp is a minor increase. So all the tow package really provides is the reciever hitch and wiring, which is easily added later, and the switch pod. Which can also be added later. However, it is cheaper to get as part of the tow package if you think you will need the switches.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Thats a very good point. I never considered that point before. Also the Unlimited Rubicon and other models come with the 220amp alternator. So moving up to the 240amp is a minor increase. So all the tow package really provides is the reciever hitch and wiring, which is easily added later, and the switch pod. Which can also be added later. However, it is cheaper to get as part of the tow package if you think you will need the switches.
If you add the accessory switches after the fact I believe you dont get hookups in both locations, IE under the hood AND passenger foot well, I can't remember which one you miss out on

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I got every option aside from LED headlights and front-cam on my Sahara Altitude (figuring those are easy/cheaper to get aftermarket).

I'm more of a road tripper and I live in Texas, so my build is more focused on "I'm likely to need to drive a few hours to the trail, so I should be comfortable doing so". Plus it's my daily driver to take my daughters to school.

I've also been driving an '07 GMC for the past ~14 years, which obviously had none of these things. So I wanted to treat myself a little. :)

The only thing I really kinda hate is the front-collision. I was thinking it would be like my wife's Lexus RX350, where it shows onscreen how close I am to hitting something. Instead, it functions more like an invisible and entirely unnecessary "oh shit brake", typically engaging itself if someone is turning into a parking lot and I'm coming up behind them. *I* know that I'm not going to hit them, but the Jeep freaks out and slams the breaks. Happened 2x before I found the button to disable it.

The Adaptive Cruise can be kinda similar - it's MUCH more conservative than I normally would be, and takes a little too long to recognize when vehicles have entered or exited the lane in front of me, but overall, it's pretty awesome.
The front camera aftermarket options are lacking at best, the factory camera IMO is pretty awesome. I havent really looked at aftermarket LED headlamps because I got mine factory but I don't think the high end ones are much cheaper than just getting them factory, the only option you'd get that would make it worthwhile would be a heating element for winter
Sponsored