Sponsored

Anyone else having issues with Rockslide Engineering steps?

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Well this thread is certainly disappointing to say the least. I just ordered these with delivery for next week. We don't really get much snow here in VA, but the quality of the finish is concerning as well.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Well this thread is certainly disappointing to say the least. I just ordered these with delivery for next week. We don't really get much snow here in VA, but the quality of the finish is concerning as well.
You heard one review. These steps are awesome. Once I did this above they work perfectly. Snow, freezing rain etc etc. Finish is still perfect on mine.

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
You heard one review. These steps are awesome. Once I did this above they work perfectly. Snow, freezing rain etc etc. Finish is still perfect on mine.
I believe there are 4-5 people on this post citing issues. Glad the lube solution is working and hoping I get the 2.0 version.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I believe there are 4-5 people on this post citing issues. Glad the lube solution is working and hoping I get the 2.0 version.
I was referencing the paint quality. I have heard of only one on here. The lube solution should be fixing every else no issues.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
I was referencing the paint quality. I have heard of only one on here. The lube solution should be fixing every else no issues.
Can someone post the link on how to property lube these on here please and what kind of lube to use!!

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Hi All,

Appears the video is no longer uploaded, is this the same video as the one they have on their website showing the points to lubricate? My driver side step is not coming down all the way and locking in place.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hi guys, I have owned two sets of these steps (they shipped me a replacement set) and while Lynn with Rockslide Engineering has provided excellent customer service, I am afraid their products are not designed for winter. Their actuators can't handle snow build up in the steps, they get bound-up and fail. In the 3+ years of ownership, I had them stuffed into place with the switch turned off for at least 2 years - they just can't keep them working.

The powder coat finish sloughs-off after a single winter of use, despite weekly carwashes. I owned a front stubby bumper, a rear bumper with tire carrier and two sets of the step sliders, and I will not order another Rockslide Engineering product. They are poorly engineered.
Thank you for posting this. Long-term reviews, IMO, from various folks in various geographies and conditions, are extremely helpful to me. And now that I live in Colorado instead of houston, your experiences in the snow are even more valuable to me. Thank you.

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up getting these AMP ones. I've had them go through one winter with lots of ice and slush. Never got stuck deploying, but did have a little trouble going back in sometimes if there was ice and slush stuck in there.

Usually I just helped it return with my foot a bit to crush anything in the way and worked fine. Basically it was the collision detection and reacted the same way as if your foot or arm was caught during a retraction. But overall worked well once the debris was out of the way.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Had RSEs for nearly 2 years now and no real issues. Occasionally, and I do mean super rarely, my passenger side steps won't deploy when the door is opened, but then later just fixes itself. I think its an intermittent magnetic switch issue (rather than an actuator or motor issue) and has happened maybe 2 or 3 times ever - really not enough for concern.

Paint and finish on mine still look as new, but I also instruct my passengers to only step on the actual step portion and never the slider body (hope that makes sense).

Finally, I've never once lubed these things and they're still going strong. Except as mentioned above they open and close very reliably and always make you look like a boss when using them. I've not used them in heavy snow so I cannot comment on their function in those situations.

Overall would definitely purchase again!

flgrubbiii

First Name
Frank Grubb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Thank you for posting this. Long-term reviews, IMO, from various folks in various geographies and conditions, are extremely helpful to me. And now that I live in Colorado instead of houston, your experiences in the snow are even more valuable to me. Thank you.
The customer service I received on my less than 3 year old side steps was buy the new ones at discount which is best we can do when they are rusting and out of warranty (they called it "just a little rust"). You figure a heavy duty Jeep aftermarket product would hold up better than the below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone else having issues with Rockslide Engineering steps? View recent photos

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
Wow, Figrubbiii they should replace those for you... One of the first mods I am going to make on my jeep when I get it is to add power steps (short wife)... was leaning towards AMPs but worried they might get damage if ever they come in contact with a hard rock or something, not that I plan on hardcore rock crawling... but the RSEs seem designed for it and thus were going to be my pick... Is there a way to protect the AMPs ? Anyone have any issues in that regard? Thanks

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
Well, I'm going on 26,000 miles with mine on since day one. No snow so I can't speak to those issues but they've served me well with rain and mud. I recently got a refurbished one after I more or less destroyed pass side slipping off a ledge onto the worst rock ever. Definitely careless driver error. I still love them and would purchase again. 10/10
Sponsored