First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
It is more than likely related to Jeep's version of "on star" I have it in my 2021 Wrangler. The good thing is if you have an emergency and you are in the middle of nowhere help can find you. If you ever need it you will be glad it is there.
I was thinking the same thing. I can lock / unlock my Renegade with an app when it's in my garage so I assume it has some type of LTE connectivity.
Sponsored

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It is more than likely related to Jeep's version of "on star" I have it in my 2021 Wrangler. The good thing is if you have an emergency and you are in the middle of nowhere help can find you. If you ever need it you will be glad it is there.
I think this is a different unit. BUT Thats why I find this post funny. Jeep is tracking your jeep for the emergency SOS calls and for the jeep wellness reports. AND thru your smart phone. Point is YOU ARE being tracked get used to it.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I think this is a different unit. BUT Thats why I find this post funny. Jeep is tracking your jeep for the emergency SOS calls and for the jeep wellness reports. AND thru your smart phone. Point is YOU ARE being tracked get used to it.
IF you have an 8.4" Infotainment system....

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Say what you will about Europe.. but this kind of thing is impossible here. Bruce Willis himself would descend via attack helicopter on the dealer who installed such a device.
What makes European (or at least German) vehicle buyers more hostile to the idea of vehicle trackers than are North American customers?

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Are you sure its not part of your navigation system !

Sponsored

Showinoff

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Okay Guys before this gets out of hand for speculation, I just got off the phone with someone that I trust from the dealership that ordered my Jeep from he tells that this device has absolutely nothing to with the jeeps systems at all! It is a aftermarket device called "Theft patrol" my dealer installs them in every vehicle new or used and tries to up sell the product in the finance office at the signing of the paperwork. It doesn't matter if you owe money to a loan or own the vehicle outright. it is supposed to be deactivated if you decline the service.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...I just got off the phone with someone that I trust from the dealership that ordered my Jeep from he tells that this device has absolutely nothing to with the jeeps systems at all! It is a aftermarket device called "Theft patrol" my dealer installs them in every vehicle new or used and tries to up sell the product in the finance office at the signing of the paperwork. It doesn't matter if you owe money to a loan or own the vehicle outright. it is supposed to be deactivated if you decline the service.
We don't know if you took delivery of your new Rube yet, but...if you plan to decline the so-called Theft patrol service, can you prospectively instruct the dealer to not install the unneeded harness on your vehicle, after it comes off the truck?

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
What makes European (or at least German) vehicle buyers more hostile to the idea of vehicle trackers than are North American customers?
EU has strict (crazy strict) data privacy laws and if you break them it can costs tens of millions of dollars. Sort by fine, Google was fine 50m Euro. I'm pretty sure data on vehicle location, movement, etc. would be covered by GDPR.

https://www.enforcementtracker.com/

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
EU has strict (crazy strict) data privacy laws and if you break them it can costs tens of millions of dollars. Sort by fine, Google was fine 50m Euro. I'm pretty sure data on vehicle location, movement, etc. would be covered by GDPR.

https://www.enforcementtracker.com/
That makes much more sense than the fanciful suggestion of Mr. Willis descending from an Apache. Cheers.

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
Okay Guys before this gets out of hand for speculation, I just got off the phone with someone that I trust from the dealership that ordered my Jeep from he tells that this device has absolutely nothing to with the jeeps systems at all! It is a aftermarket device called "Theft patrol" my dealer installs them in every vehicle new or used and tries to up sell the product in the finance office at the signing of the paperwork. It doesn't matter if you owe money to a loan or own the vehicle outright. it is supposed to be deactivated if you decline the service.
I hope I get a free extra OBDII harness. I'm not interested in the service but I'm sure I can find a use for an extra OBDII port.

Sponsored

Showinoff

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
We don't know if you took delivery of your new Rube yet, but...if you plan to decline the so-called Theft patrol service, can you prospectively instruct the dealer to not install the unneeded harness on your vehicle, after it comes off the truck?

I found out that they have to deactivate the service according to them but I have found some information that once you decline the service they have to remove the device or inform as to where it is located and how to remove it if you choose to.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
You will only likely have this if your credit is questionable. I've had to install these devices into vehicles at a local used car dealership. If the client was a high risk purchaser as deemed by the financing company the dealership used, then that gps/ignition disabling device had to be installed and it was a breach of contract to have it removed by anyone but authorized personnel. If you purchased your Jeep used, the device might've been left in there from the prior owner. If you purchased the Jeep new, more than likely you were told that such device would be installed, otherwise I'd be highly suspect of the dealership.
No. It's dealer add on crap that they charge big money for and refuse to remove. Mine had the Karr system on it. Very poorly installed. They tapped into a hot wire on obd2 and a ground screw installed on the metal support under the dash. The unit itself was just zip tied up out of the way. Any criminal with half a clue would see the stupid sticker on the door and snip one of the wires or pull the fuse. I removed mine and tossed it in the trash.

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
Let's face it. If all of us know about it, car thieves knew about it soon after it was invented.

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
Well that really sucks, I am actually offended by the thought, I am disconnecting it and just leaving it in place.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
I bought a néw Ford f 250 and through the Ford app I can start the truck, see where it’s at, see the fuel level, tire pressure, mileage, etc. my guess is that it has a “tracker” which allows the truck to communicate with something to be able to send me the data. I think a previous post the guy said that the tracker is not part of that type of service. Any thoughts? I’ll crawl into the truck and see if I can find one. My gladiator is in the shop, I’ll check that too when I get it back.
Sponsored