Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am very new to different gearings in our Wranglers, so I have a quick question. Does Sports/Sahara with LSD option (Dana 44 rear axle) have 3.45 or 4.10?
I believe it still has the 3.45 gears. I saw no mention of the gear change on the build sheet when I got mine.
Sponsored

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I believe it still has the 3.45 gears. I saw no mention of the gear change on the build sheet when I got mine.
Thanks for clarifying. Explained why my Sport's 6th gear feels like a super over drive. I only use 6th over 70 mph but MPG dropped comparing to 5th at 65 mph

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I hope someone at Jeep is reading this thread and know the nonsense of their ways.

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
I've found that my JLU 3.6 doesn't have much 'testicular fortitude' until about 2,000 RPM. That being typed, when I' m cruising on the highway (or even a flat 4-lane state hwy), I use 6th gear all the time to drop the RPM to increase fuel economy. It seems to pull OK for a bit up a small hill (with passengers) at 75-80 MPH at or about 2,000 RPM ...again - IF the hill isn't too large.

There's a 4-lane state hwy with a HUGE hill that I drive almost every day. I run at that hill (first going DOWN the good sized hill that leads to it.) I drop into 5th at the bottom and not long after that, I'm in 4th before I'm halfway up. So the power depends on the road you're on and the speed you're traveling. On a recent 365 mile trip (mostly on the Interstate), I averaged 22.6 (ish) MPG. Not sure how much different it would be in 5th.

Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
I know its 2019 n all,n things have changed. But meh...we drive jeeps folks. Slow down and enjoy the drive. It takes me 20 mins to get to work in my focus,n i smile 0 seconds. But taking the jeep takes me 25 mins and im smiling the whole way there. Lifes to short to be in a rushed hurry to get everywhere as fast as ya can. If your that kinda person dont buy a jeep.

At first i wasnt used to the shift points,and it didnt feel or shift like my jk or tj did/does. And it threw me off cus it didnt "feel" like previous gen jeeps.(think clunky quick ruff long throw shifting)But now that im getting used to it i like the new mt a lot.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i use 6th all the time.. i have a rubicon and it is pretty flat where i live.
i think the 4.10 gearing is perfect with the current 6mt.... 3.45 is just too high for 6th to be effective.
but you all know they chose 3.45 for the bulk of wranglers for the MPG requirements.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock Sahara JL and never use 6th on 55mph speed limits here in NY. ( I usually try to keep it around 68 mph. Don’t want that speeding ticket). However when you leave the city area we have 65 mph highways. On these I use 5th to about 74-75 mph, as long as the highway is flat I now set my cruise and shift to 6th. The rpm’s go from about 22k down to about 18k and I definitely go way further without fueling up than when I had my JK manual trans.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have a 4Dr Sport with 33’s and use 6th a bunch for south Texas flat hwy. Cruises well at 75 in 6th.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
that super low second OD is why i was comfortable going with 5.13s for my 37s. it does make a little difference on the road, but 5th and 6th are interchangeable for me.

and its flatAF here in louisiana. we got bridges, thats about it.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's not fair to blame the transmission for what really is an engine issue. The pentastar is simply not a truck motor. It's sorely lacking in low end torque and that really shows itself with a manual transmission. Put an old straight-6 in front of the new six-speed and you would be instantly in love.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I thought it was a 4-speed! I commute 20 miles on a two lane remote highway - loads of hills - more time in 3rd than 4th. No traffic - wouldn’t have minded an option for a large V-8. But I like shifting so the ride is a hoot everyday -

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Definitely have used it in Colorado but usually am downshifting once I see any kind of grade.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It's not fair to blame the transmission for what really is an engine issue. The pentastar is simply not a truck motor. It's sorely lacking in low end torque and that really shows itself with a manual transmission. Put an old straight-6 in front of the new six-speed and you would be instantly in love.
Totally agree!
Sponsored