6th Gear?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I agree mostly, but the combo of 3.45 gears and the wide gear spacing in the tranny leaves a lot to be desired, the 6sp should come standard with 4:10, 6th gear is useless unless you are hitting 80...if I'm highway crusin I hit 5th and leave it there, it'll pull me up any hills as long as you are at or over 2k rpms, but 6th dogs it, you can feel the Jeep doesn't like that and you get worse mpg...
I agree completely that 3.45's shouldn't even exist from the factory as both transmissions have plenty of overdrive to run 4.10s even on a stock sport. The Rubicon only has 1" large tires and comes with 4.10s, all JL's should come with 4.10s minimum in my opinion. I'm glad to see them offering 4.88s as an option.
Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
That sounds great, just not sure at this time I can justify the $$$ after I just put the CF2 clutch in and am sill running 32" tires, just 275-65-70 Toyo AT3. What is your thoughts on the performance difference for someone like me that isn't on the highway much, mostly back roads to and from work max speed 50...???
For lower speeds and back roads up to 50mph, I do think the regearing helped a lot. Prior to the regear, the drop in RPMs between shifts made it so that the engine could not stay in the powerband and would lug in the next gear. Now the gear spread isn't as big and it really makes the engine stay in a better RPM range for both lower speed and higher speed driving.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
These discussions are the same on the auto side too, “my Jeep won’t hold 8th gear in the hills”. It’s not supposed to. It is a tall overdrive gear, only useful under low loads. In hilly country, there are usually as many down hills as up hills, SHIFT. If you want to set it in a gear and leave it there, maybe you should have bought an automatic? There’s no such thing as the perfect gear for a given speed, as load varies widely. If you gear your axles low enough to cruise up hills and into high head winds in 6th gear, your just turning extra rpms and burning extra fuel in the low load conditions.
On the auto it is not as noticeable since there are more gears and the rpm range in each gear isn't as big. However, I really think regearing the Auto has the same benefits. My brother had an auto JL sport and auto gladiator which he regeared to 4.88s. I have driven the auto with 3.45s(stock jl sport), 3.73(Stock JT), 4.88s(regeared JT) and 4.56s(I test drove an XR recently). The 4.88 JT and the 4.56 JL were much improved in driveability over the 3.45 and 3.73 Jeeps. With the 8th gear overdrive, they also worked well on the highway without over-revving.

ZandC above is right IMO - all of the JLs regardless of transmission should have stock 4.10s and then 4.88s for Rubicons

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
On the auto it is not as noticeable since there are more gears and the rpm range in each gear isn't as big. However, I really think regearing the Auto has the same benefits. My brother had an auto JL sport and auto gladiator which he regeared to 4.88s. I have driven the auto with 3.45s(stock jl sport), 3.73(Stock JT), 4.88s(regeared JT) and 4.56s(I test drove an XR recently). The 4.88 JT and the 4.56 JL were much improved in driveability over the 3.45 and 3.73 Jeeps. With the 8th gear overdrive, they also worked well on the highway without over-revving.

ZandC above is right IMO - all of the JLs regardless of transmission should have stock 4.10s and then 4.88s for Rubicons
I wouldn't want our XR to be geared any lower than it is on the stock 35's. I absolutely wouldn't want a stock Rubicon with the auto to come with 4.88s and 33's. In my opinion that's too low. 4.10s on our 2019 were fine even on 37's. 5.38's and 38's was way too low for me. I appreciate the ability to roll freeway speeds at 2k rpm when the load is low enough. The option of 4.88s is great, but I would not want to see them as mandatory. Of course I would probably order them as 37's will happen sooner than later on the '22 XR but that's for someone who plans bigger tires in my opinion.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I wouldn't want our XR to be geared any lower than it is on the stock 35's. I absolutely wouldn't want a stock Rubicon with the auto to come with 4.88s and 33's. In my opinion that's too low. 4.10s on our 2019 were fine even on 37's. 5.38's and 38's was way too low for me. I appreciate the ability to roll freeway speeds at 2k rpm when the load is low enough. The option of 4.88s is great, but I would not want to see them as mandatory. Of course I would probably order them as 37's will happen sooner than later on the '22 XR but that's for someone who plans bigger tires in my opinion.
If nothing else maybe the manual transmission should come with different differential gearing than the automatic.
In today's world it is somewhat unique that the Jeep even offers a manual transmission, very few manual transmissions are still offered in any car model. I would guess that some day that will go away. (Oddly enough my other car was only available with manual transmission, and I owned another performance sedan 30 years ago that was only available with manual transmission.)

Sponsored

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If nothing else maybe the manual transmission should come with different differential gearing than the automatic.
In today's world it is somewhat unique that the Jeep even offers a manual transmission, very few manual transmissions are still offered in any car model. I would guess that some day that will go away. (Oddly enough my other car was only available with manual transmission, and I owned another performance sedan 30 years ago that was only available with manual transmission.)

The manual already is geared lower, albeit on the transmission and not the diffs. 1st gear is lower than the auto 1st, and 6th is lower than 8th in the auto.

I can see 4.10s, but I don't find the gearing to be bad at all with 3.45s and 33's.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
After waiting too many months to have a friend replace the gears in my 6 speed Willys, I took it to another shop and finally got my 4.56's. After driving it a couple of days, I know I will be very happy with the difference. Now I will get to use the 6 speed!!
Sponsored